Question to ex F3 owners who drives 2007-08 (like JohnnyX)

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2013, 02:29 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question to ex F3 owners who drives 2007-08 (like JohnnyX)

I currently own a CBR 600 F3 as a first bike. I really like it but soon, I'll have to put some money on it. New tires, brakes, full checkup, new blinkers. And the esthetics may need some cracked fairings to be replaced too. I also has high miles (more than 50k miles).

The bike is running good though. I've learned a lot riding it. I also find it very good looking and comfortable.

But I'm always lurking at 2008 RR's. IMO, the look is awesome! Also read that it was a very reliable bike. I know it depends of the rider, but some are saying that it is more comfortable than the 2005-06 RR.

I just want to know some ex F3 owners their opinion between the two bikes.

Before investing too much money on the F3, I'm thinking of selling it and save money to get a 2008 RR.

Thanks guys

Old 10-13-2013, 07:08 AM

I dont know if my input is relivant or not, but i had a F4 that i sold and replaced it with a 06 RR:
-acceleration and speed wise they are very close, its just the power (acceleration) feels more linear and more proportional to how much throttle u twist than the F4 (thanks to FI) but bith seemed to be just as fun when u want to accelerates hard. (P.s. i havent gone faster than 190 km/h (120mph) indicated on either).
-F4 is definitely more comfortable riding position (used it to commute to work everyday for a month last summer) but the aggressive riding position of the RR makes it a tad easier around corners and leaning thru twisties.
-RR suspension seems better and more responsive in highspeed and more stable on twisty roads but F4's suspension felts more "comfy" on bumpy roads or if u hit a pot hole
-i havent done much work on the RR yet (just bought it couple of weeks ago), but taking the fairings off and taking a closer look it seems everything is packaged im avery compact and tight manner which seems to make it a bit harder to work on compared to F4 (but presumably newer bike wont need as much work)
-RR is maybe 10-20lb lighter than F4, but its just hoe ur seated on the bike and how they centralize all the mass as close as possible makes it feel much nimbler and lighter (to me it makes it feels easier to maneuver in low speed)
-for some reason i just tend to find myself riding at higher RPM on the RR than i used to im the F4 (mayne its just me)

Old 10-15-2013, 10:15 AM

I bought it mainly because it was the only bike Honda made who's look I liked. I love the RR series, but I hate race bikes that are encased in a complete plastic shell, like the Ducatis and BMWs. The 07 color scheme, with the black engine and black center fairings actually made it look way more naked. I took it a step further by powdercoating (black) the rearsets and passenger footpegs, as well as the heatshield on the right side. Makes the whole center line of the bike look black. I have to get around to taking some pics of it finished.

As far as performance between the two, it's hard for me to say. My F3 had a Stage 2 jetkit and was fully tuned, and I don't remember what it felt like before I did all the mods. I can say that the modded F3 had noticeably more low-end torque than my RR in its current state; it would throw you hard against the back of the seat if you weren't already there, right off the line. The RR, o the other hand, has all that power on the top end.

The best part of the switch was the size and weight reduction. It's an incredibly responsive bike, able to change lanes and snap around curves WAY better than the F3. It's really fun, and you can barely tell there's a bike underneath you. The acceleration between 5-9k is WAY better as well.

Maintenance-wise, the best part of the RR is: NO CARBS. No carbs, and none of all of the annoyances that come with them. It's pretty great; highly recommend it.

As far as comfort goes; it's great for what I do. I put about 3k miles on it a year, taking it out to the hills of Iowa and curves of mid-Wisconsin regularly (I'm form Chicago). I don't really start getting sore until maybe 6 hours in, with of course the occasional stop for gas and stretch.

Old 10-16-2013, 06:57 AM

Thanks for the nice write up

What about passenger-wise ? My soul-mate really likes to ride with me.

Since the f3 is my first bike, I don't have anything to compare. I feel like a banana seat may be more comfortable for the passenger because she can move more to the middle or more to the back with ease. She can also get very close to me for a better grip (she's got short arms).

But on the other hand, the seperate rear seat seems higher so whe would be able to look over my head instead of over my shoulder.

Do you have any thoughts between the two bikes about it ?

Old 10-16-2013, 04:44 PM

Originally Posted by HondArai
Thanks for the nice write up

What about passenger-wise ? My soul-mate really likes to ride with me.

Since the f3 is my first bike, I don't have anything to compare. I feel like a banana seat may be more comfortable for the passenger because she can move more to the middle or more to the back with ease. She can also get very close to me for a better grip (she's got short arms).

But on the other hand, the seperate rear seat seems higher so whe would be able to look over my head instead of over my shoulder.

Do you have any thoughts between the two bikes about it ?
again, gonna be talking about my previous F4 instead of an F3:
took my brother as a passenger in my F4 quite a few times (he's like 5'6" and about 130lb maybe so) and definitely the banana seat is way much better and wider and more comfy.
havent take a passenger yet on my RR but the passenger seat on it seem to be very hard and the foam seam to be thin and the passenger pegs are a bit higher, so not gonna be comfy for sure.
p.s. same applies to rider's seat, the RR is not made for comfortable long riding, its mainly made as a street legal Road Racing machine

Old 10-16-2013, 07:48 PM

Never had passengers on the F3; and only gone 90 minutes Max on the RR. GF says it was no problem, though.

Old 10-17-2013, 06:41 AM

Thanks to you two. I really appreciate your help

Old 07-17-2014, 01:44 PM

Anyone else with that experience ? What about long term riding position and suspension.
On the F3, the bars are kinda high and comfortable for a SS. The suspension is soft too.
Since I just bought a 954rr, I can tell the difference in comfort between those two. 954 suspension is very stiff, handle bars are lower too + the fact the the seat is much higher.
I plan on selling both bikes to get a 2007/08 600RR.

Old 07-17-2014, 02:10 PM
Retired Super Moderator and Fighterer
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

I've had an F3, a 600rr, and I have a 954.

The 600RR is WAY less comfortable than the 954. The '54 seat seems like a LAY-Z-BOY compared to the RR's seat.

Old 07-30-2014, 10:08 AM

Originally Posted by Conrice
I've had an F3, a 600rr, and I have a 954.

The 600RR is WAY less comfortable than the 954. The '54 seat seems like a LAY-Z-BOY compared to the RR's seat.
I just test drove a 2007 600rr. Everthing felt perfect. Power, handling, comfort, body position, feel and feedback and.... the look. Much more power than the F3 but not as scary as the 954rr. The seat and the position were very comfortable. Since the seat is narrower than the 954's, you don't have those seat edges pushing in the inside of the thighs. Everthing is so smooth, throttle, brakes, shifting, clutch. As soon as I got the bike going, I instantly felt like the bike was made for me. City or highway, it felt so good.

But, there may be some disadvantages too.
- less power (but still more than enough for my usual driving)
- no trunk !! (i really enjoy not having a back pack)
- may not perform as good as the 954 when having a passenger.
- much more expensive than a 954....
- engine more noisy = more cops
- less brake power

Anyways, I really enjoyed it. I still like the 954 for what it offers me, and for the price.... I should probably keep it for a while.