How to secure helmet?

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2010, 08:25 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to secure helmet?

Need some help on this one...

I don't really know how safely secure my helmet using the hook under the passenger seat so I can ride without wearing it but still have it with me. I've tried just looping the helmet strap under the hook and snap it onto the helmet but that isn't secure. The helmet could just become unsnapped.

Has anyone figured out how to ride with it? If you could provide some pictures that would be great.

The main reason I ask is because I want to be able to carry a second helmet for a passenger. Honestly, I always ride with a helmet cuz it's stupid if you don't.

Thanks

Old 10-02-2010, 06:47 PM

I dont think the regular helmet hook thing will work as its going to be hitting you in the back of the leg....I agree with yellowcbr, try and find a net and put the helmet on the back seat.

Old 10-03-2010, 12:06 AM
Administrator - Retired
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yep, they make motorcycle helmet cargo nets and sell them on amazon, fleabay, etc. They're less than $10. That's what I'd do.

Old 10-04-2010, 10:28 AM

Alright thanks. I'll check them out online. You would say that it's safe to ride with on the back? What does the net secure onto?

Old 10-04-2010, 04:17 PM
Old 10-04-2010, 11:21 PM

Forget the hooks under your seat, try this instead.

With your helmets straps undone loop the long strap (on your helmet) through the strap on your rear seat (seat handle). Make sure that your visor is pointing up towards the sky. Then take the strap that you looped through your seat handle and strap it to your D-rings like you would when it's on your head (or under your chin.) This will hold your helmet securely while you ride around.

Also I tend to put the helmet on left side of the bike as it's easier to swing my leg up and over it when I get on. And before anyone asks I have ridden down the freeway and ridden the canyons with an extra helmet strapped to my bike like this and have yet to even have one slip or come close to falling off at all.

Old 10-04-2010, 11:50 PM

Tried to take some pics but the garage was just to freakin dark to see a damn thing. I'll pull the bike out in the sun tomorrow (weather permitting since it's raining right now...Arrgh) so you can visually see what I'm saying.

Old 10-05-2010, 04:41 PM

Pics up.

Attached Thumbnails How to secure helmet?-dsc00183.jpg   How to secure helmet?-dsc00184.jpg   How to secure helmet?-dsc00185.jpg  
Old 10-07-2010, 10:59 PM

Awesome thanks. I will have to try this. Have you had any problems with the helmet banging against the plastics to the point where it scratches the paint at all?

It's completely secure? I'd hate to be going 70+mph and have a helmet mess up someone's day behind me.

So far this is the best idea I've seen. Thanks alot. The pictures help so much. Cheers.

Quick Reply: How to secure helmet?