dropin a knee

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2005, 05:29 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default dropin a knee

ok back ground raced mountian and road bikes for about 6 yrs road for another 4 in college.....2 wheels is natural to me... then picked up a this 600rr about a month ago since then i managed to get a sweet deal on the gpx 2 peice suit by joe rocket with knee pucks. so i really really really really really really really really REALLY dont wana lay this bike down but in reality i know it will prob happen. my knee gets closer to the ground every morning on the daily commute(well the long way to work anyway) I usually like to be around 6g's so I have the power to pull me up (yeah im a light wiegt) but what do yall think what should i expect any woahs or concearns something i should know before this happens, i feel pretty "one" with the bike and fluid at this point. how long did you wait when was your first time ......

Old 11-05-2005, 05:39 AM
Muz
Default RE: dropin a knee

I can't give you any tips on what to expect but I think you should save dropping a knee for the race track

Old 11-05-2005, 06:26 AM

ORIGINAL: tweak mt

any woahs or concearns something i should know before this happens
Yea, watch out for radiator fluid, oil, objects in the road, debris, slick road surfaces and anything else that's just waiting to take down an eager kneedragger. [sm=badidea.gif]

I can drag my knee all day long...at the track...yep, I waited for the right moment to lose my virginity...at the track

It's straight up a bad Idea to be riding like that on surface streets, so be aware of that and do what you will, but I don't drag knee in public.

Old 11-05-2005, 07:30 AM

If it`s your first knee down your talking about i would n`t worry about it, learn the bike, learn the roads. Be aware how close you are to the ground. And carry on as you are doing, as you get used to the bike and corners more you`ll naturally lean a little more, then one day it`ll kiss the ground. Getting your knee down is alot of fun but remember it doesn`t make you fast cos you can get your knee down. I can knee down my local roundabout (UK) at 40mph, doesn`t mean i`m going fast.

The best advice i could give would be to just enjoy the bike if your knee goes down then it does, nothing looks more uncool than a guy hanging so far off the bike straining to get his puck scuffed.

Old 11-05-2005, 07:46 AM

Dont get tunnel vision on trying to drag your puck. If you do your destined for punishment from the asphalt. Just consentrate on the rode ahead of you, keep increasing your speed in the same corner little by little, lean off a little farther each time and eventually it will just happen. You do have to be leaned over to the point you think "Man I fixing to low side", but actually your not. Its a whole new world when you realize how far it will lean. Throttle control is a huge issue people dont practice enough but yet it is the most important factor in cornering in my opinion. In case you do start going out and focusing primarily on dragging, dont whack the throttle half way through the corner and upset the suspension. BE SMOOTH!!!!

Old 11-05-2005, 09:40 AM
Admin Emeritus & MVN
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ya throttle control is a big factor but ya also can't get skeeert in the apex of the turn and start squeezin brakes. Brakes = hi side ... too much throttle will low side. Not that I want to do either but if I gotta pick it'll be low side. I'm also one of the not so keen on knee draggin on the street. I just never know when a curve I'm used to will decide to get f'd up with sand or some liquid substance. This time of year leaves and pinestraw are the evil curve devils.

Old 11-05-2005, 09:44 AM

+1 on the road crap, leaves etc. whoa!!!!

Old 11-05-2005, 02:05 PM

dang thx for all the thoughts guys although but you left out dogs deer and terrorist squirls LOL yeah deff street condition is one of the things that im most paranoid about I think i should hire a street sweaper to run about a mile ahead of me ....and i deffinatly understand what your sayin about throttle and brakeing smooooooth maybe ill just save it for a day at road atlanta and just get made fun of then for new knee pucks but i dont wana have to shoot anybody .....

Old 11-05-2005, 03:02 PM
Admin Emeritus & MVN
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Terrorist squirrels -- f'n great dude Reminds me of when I was coming home from work -- not on side streets but in Atlanta going from 75N to 20W. Maybe 2 blades of grass in the whole damn city. Had it leaned over giving it gas and out ahead of me I see a rabbit haul a$$ across the road. I was already committed to the curve so just tried to lean tighter (if that makes sense). Missed with the front tire but the rear got him square. A$$ end jumped out a bit and started smokin -- I just pinned the throttle and dirt tracked it until I could regain my poise. That was my second best save ever -- pucker factor of 9.6 So that's why I don't do that crap on the street anymore [8D]

Old 11-05-2005, 03:29 PM

Eh i`ve had a squirrel try to get me on the track before now, no wheres sacred.

Quick Reply: dropin a knee