Alcohol -n- Gas

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2006, 12:50 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Alcohol -n- Gas

Bike is running a little on the rough side think it might be plugs. The mech that usualy fixes my bike said that somtimes in the winter the bikes will run lean and also the gas co. puts a little alcohol in the gas that is supposed to make it run lean as well, said this will make it run rough. He told me in the winter run lower grade gas so its not so lean and in the summer run higer grade anyone heard of this.

Old 01-14-2006, 12:53 AM
Retired Administrator
Default RE: Alcohol -n- Gas

no....

Old 01-14-2006, 04:12 AM

why would a mechanic have to be working on your bike? Isnt it brand new! No, Ive never heard that before about the gas.

Old 01-14-2006, 07:10 AM
Admin Emeritus & MVN
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Mine have always run better in the winter -- cold air is nature's little HP boost

Old 01-14-2006, 07:28 AM

i always thought if your bike ran better in the winter (cold) that meant it was running rich, cause the bike runs better cause you get colder denser air which means you get more air in a smaller space to match your rich fuel mixture, so your bike runs better, then when it warms up outside and the air heats up and the air is less dense your bike runs rich, does this sound right?

Old 01-14-2006, 07:44 AM
Admin Emeritus & MVN

ORIGINAL: pupdog_88

i always thought if your bike ran better in the winter (cold) that meant it was running rich, cause the bike runs better cause you get colder denser air which means you get more air in a smaller space to match your rich fuel mixture, so your bike runs better, then when it warms up outside and the air heats up and the air is less dense your bike runs rich, does this sound right?
That is true for most carbed bikes. FI systems have an air temp sensor that adjusts your fueling. The extra kick that the cold air gives ya is because like you said the air is denser. The cold air will expand a lot more when the mixture ignites than it would on a hot day. That's why they always correct the dyno HP #'s to a specific temp and altitude.

Sometimes it actually ticks me off. I mean on a sub 20F day you get wads of free extra horsepower but cold tires that just won't ever heat up. Hmmm, less traction more power ... not good[:@]

Old 01-14-2006, 07:48 AM

very true chainstretcher, i forgot i'm still running with carbs, but i guess in a way we were both right funny how the world works.

Old 01-14-2006, 07:54 AM
Admin Emeritus & MVN

Don't laugh but I used to have a Kan-o-toona 750 that I jetted and gutted the air box -- and a couple other little power mods. Actually it ran strong for what it was -- handled like she-yat though. Anyway, I had 3 sets of jets I swapped out depending on the temperature. If I got lazy and left in the wrong ones it'd run like crap ... worse than crap really. I got to where I could change the jets in about 30mins in my garage -- unless I dropped one ... then it was more like an hour I'm so glad I sold that bike.

Old 01-14-2006, 08:04 AM

ya i know what you mean i just put my borla header and jet kit on and my bike is running really strong right know with temps. 35-60 degrees, i'm betting come summer i'm going to have to change jets, that's why i'm looking for a bigger bike and F.I. is a must no more with the jets and changing them everytime i put some thing on. plus i've about out growed my little 600, don't get me wrong i love it to death i can throw it around in the curves and just eat my buddies 1000's up in the curves but when the road straightens out it's like they got seven gears and i'm stuck with six.

Old 01-14-2006, 11:29 AM

N reply to pizzle no my bike is far from new it is an 03 and has 16,000 on the guage. This is really bothering me maybe it is this denser air thing but I know that when I am holding the bars the vibration is more than usual but i don't know why, and yes i am certain, I could tell you if somone sat on my bike or started it when i wasnt there that is how much i am in love with this stupid thing. Don't know anything bout these bikes mech wise, give me a carberated car and i'll take it down to the block and rebuild it in a day but these things tooooooo many electronics and computers.
For an example if you are sitting and not moving rev you engine up to bout 4,000 rpm this would be how the bike normaly feels when riding at normal speeds, now rev up to bou 11,000 thats how it feels now when riding at normal speeds,
I did miss a gear the other day while hauling A** and the rev limiter kicked in thought I broke it, but as I recall It had excessive vibration before that.

Quick Reply: Alcohol -n- Gas