Is the 600rr Reliable for Track Duty?

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2007, 03:06 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is the 600rr Reliable for Track Duty?

Greetings all, new to the forum... I want a reliable 600cc track-bike and it's funny saying this, but after owning four ducati's, I think from my experience and research on the R6 and the ZX6/636, the japs could learn a thing or two from the italians... My four ducati's have proven bullet proof and I modded the heck out of them and flogged them too... Never understood why they got such a bad rap? Anyway, I'm not here to talkanybody into buying aDucati but I'm hoping your insight will talk me into buying a 600rr as I haven't owned a honda since I purchased my first bike; a 1989 Hawk GT (my only Honda)...A year back I was naiveand thoughtanything japanese would be as reliable as my ducati's andI bought an R6 for the track... But the transmission sucked and I later uncovered through forums that it had a well-documented 2nd gear issue... Recently, I found a 2005 636 in mint condition owned by a 35 year old father of 2 since it was new... But afterthoroughly researching its reliability, Ifind the Kaw's have a crappy trans with the same shift fork and shift dog wearing problems as the R6 (complete with petitions filed with the BBB and threats of lawsuits)... I don't care about top numbers as I'm a front pack intermediate who enjoys the discipline but has a day job that I'd like to return to on Monday morning. I'm hoping the lower power numbers the 600rr puts out is due to heavier internal components that don't fail? Bottom line, reliability is my #1 and only consideration for a track bike... Is the 600rr up for it, or are there other makes/models that are better suited and more reliable for pushing the envelope on a dozen weekends a year?

Old 12-15-2007, 03:44 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Is the 600rr Reliable for Track Duty?

ORIGINAL: sconley

Greetings all, new to the forum... I want a reliable 600cc track-bike and it's funny saying this, but after owning four ducati's, I think from my experience and research on the R6 and the ZX6/636, the japs could learn a thing or two from the italians... My four ducati's have proven bullet proof and I modded the heck out of them and flogged them too... Never understood why they got such a bad rap? Anyway, I'm not here to talkanybody into buying aDucati but I'm hoping your insight will talk me into buying a 600rr as I haven't owned a honda since I purchased my first bike; a 1989 Hawk GT (my only Honda)...A year back I was naiveand thoughtanything japanese would be as reliable as my ducati's andI bought an R6 for the track... But the transmission sucked and I later uncovered through forums that it had a well-documented 2nd gear issue... Recently, I found a 2005 636 in mint condition owned by a 35 year old father of 2 since it was new... But afterthoroughly researching its reliability, Ifind the Kaw's have a crappy trans with the same shift fork and shift dog wearing problems as the R6 (complete with petitions filed with the BBB and threats of lawsuits)... I don't care about top numbers as I'm a front pack intermediate who enjoys the discipline but has a day job that I'd like to return to on Monday morning. I'm hoping the lower power numbers the 600rr puts out is due to heavier internal components that don't fail? Bottom line, reliability is my #1 and only consideration for a track bike... Is the 600rr up for it, or are there other makes/models that are better suited and more reliable for pushing the envelope on a dozen weekends a year?
its more than able to handle track duty. IS it more so than the other makes? Thats all depends on wtf ya ask. The RR will more than hold its own with all of them tho. Not to mention I seen more miles on Hondas than I have seen on other makes.

Old 12-15-2007, 04:35 PM

How about the F4I? I heard the cam chain tensioner sometimes failed, other than that is it reliable? They seem cheap enough, just need rearsets and the suspension set up and it would be an ok and reliable track bike, no?

Old 12-15-2007, 05:01 PM

ORIGINAL: sconley

How about the F4I? I heard the cam chain tensioner sometimes failed, other than that is it reliable? They seem cheap enough, just need rearsets and the suspension set up and it would be an ok and reliable track bike, no?
Replace the CCT with a adjustable. Other than that they too are a very relible bike.

Old 12-15-2007, 05:53 PM
Retired Moderator

The 600RR IS a track bike. It's a street bike second.

Old 12-15-2007, 05:57 PM

i bought the 07 to be a track only bike
from the upgraded suspension to the better brakes to the lighter weight to the better tires
the 07 is a kick *** track bike

even the entire tail light, license plate fender assy comes off easy for track duty

Old 12-15-2007, 07:16 PM

For normal track duty the 600RR is one of the best. I've been racinga 600RRfor the last 4 years and not had single part failure. The only failures I've had were crash damage related. The only "issue" I've ever heard of from oneother racer onthe 600rr was that the transmission is the weakest point, 2nd gear to be specific. It was worn out but still functioningperfectly at a end of the year teardown - but his bike had 35+ race weekends on it and he's a AMA pro...so it was ridden very, veryhard!

Personally from what I've seen of the last ten years racing, Honda's are by far the most reliable.

Prior to the CBR I also raced Ducati's (And still own a few...)and while I wouldn't call them unreliable, they did need far more constant maintenance than my 600rr's did.

Old 12-15-2007, 09:06 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Mine has been flogged heavly on the track (over 7K mostly track miles) without a single issue. I change the oil and roll with it.

Old 12-15-2007, 11:15 PM

wow... i wish one day i can know what you guys are talking about. i feel like such a rookie...

Old 12-16-2007, 10:19 AM

Simply put...... it's a Honda. You'll be fine.

Quick Reply: Is the 600rr Reliable for Track Duty?