06 cbr - engine knocking??

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2006, 06:07 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 06 cbr - engine knocking??

my bike is fairly new. i bought it in may. it has about 2900 miles on it. latley i've been noticing right after i start it, it kinda sounds like the engine is knocking. not real loud, you have to really listen to here it. actually none of my friends can here it, just me. but is it normal to slighty knock after start up???

and also this is my first bike so i dont know how its supposed to shift, but it feels like the shift from 1st to 2nd is really loud and rough.. it sounds like im slamming it into gear. is that normal??

Old 11-21-2006, 06:43 PM
Default RE: 06 cbr - engine knocking??

What octane gas are you using?

Old 11-21-2006, 06:51 PM

uh 600rr's are fine to run on anything from 86.5 to 93. you're probably getting spark knock when the bike is cold

about shifting... all 600's feel rough from 1st to second. more of a clunk. when you get on it in the 600rr and you shift right it should go in very very smoothly i've noticed.

Old 11-21-2006, 07:08 PM

Well, if you start hearing the knock and you arent using 93, try using 93for a few fillups and if that doesnt help, you might wanna check some plugs or CCT

Old 11-21-2006, 08:04 PM

I doubt that it is the CCT...that was a problem with the F4i's and I think Honda got it straight with the RR! What weight of oil are you using...I was using 15W-50 Motul and now i use 10W-40 Amsoil Synthetic and there is NO NOISE and not to mention better shifting, and longer drain intervals.

Plus, how cold is it when you start your bike? THere are many things that can contribute to knocking noise. ALWAYS let you rr warm up until your gauge reads 97 - 100 degreed Farenhiet! That means that oil is flowing properly and the combustion chamber is heated properly!

Old 11-21-2006, 10:26 PM

ORIGINAL: toyotafj40s

uh 600rr's are fine to run on anything from 86.5 to 93. you're probably getting spark knock when the bike is cold

about shifting... all 600's feel rough from 1st to second. more of a clunk. when you get on it in the 600rr and you shift right it should go in very very smoothly i've noticed.
spark knock sounds like it could be right because it only does it when its cold. after i ride it for a little bit, it goes away. so what rpm should i shift at to make it go in "very very smoothly"??? cause usually i shift from 1st to 2nd at about 5 or 6 thousand rpm...

Old 11-21-2006, 10:29 PM

Well, I have an 06 RR and my CCT was replaced a month or so ago. Even with the oil difference, there isnt enough weight difference to make a knock noise or not. If the weather is really cold where yhou are, hoever, that cn make the oil, asny oil, thicken, and when you first start is up, cause a liitle knock because the oil isnt fully moving around at first due to the semi-solidifaction sort of speak. But, just keep an eye on it. It could be a number of things, from gas, to weather, to CCT. Good Luck

Old 11-21-2006, 10:34 PM

ORIGINAL: envirocbr

I doubt that it is the CCT...that was a problem with the F4i's and I think Honda got it straight with the RR! What weight of oil are you using...I was using 15W-50 Motul and now i use 10W-40 Amsoil Synthetic and there is NO NOISE and not to mention better shifting, and longer drain intervals.

Plus, how cold is it when you start your bike? THere are many things that can contribute to knocking noise. ALWAYS let you rr warm up until your gauge reads 97 - 100 degreed Farenhiet! That means that oil is flowing properly and the combustion chamber is heated properly!
i actually dont know what oil is in there now. i took it to the dealer for the 600 mile service. and have not done anything to it since. is it time to change my oil now with 2900 miles on it?? and so i assume you are suggesting to me to use 10W-40 Amsoil Synthetic.. is it hard to change the oil myself?? i change my own oil and do all my own work on my car, but i have never taken a wrench to a bike in my life. thanks for the help...

Old 11-21-2006, 10:43 PM

Its pretty easy to change your oil. The manual says at 600mils, 4000 miles, 8000, etc.

As for changing it, just take the fairings off, and you'll see your filter right above the headers where they bend and split, and the oil drain plug is below it, I believe it is a 17mm but I am not sure. You can use tin foil to put over your headers so the oil doesnt get on it and stink for a week. You just have to get something to fit under there to hold all of the oil because most oil pans dont fit. Then, take off the filter, it has a bolt head on it also, and then reapply the filter and the plug. Make sure its on a rear stand or someone is holding it while filling it up. PRetty easy. Good luck...... I use synthetic also.

I usualy change mine a little before the mark, but thats just me.

Old 11-21-2006, 11:18 PM

ill try to listen on my 2003 with 11,500 miles if it does the same thing on the cold mornings i ride it (30 degrees) i dont think it does though.

as for shifting... go up to 5-5500 then let off the gas quickly but smoothly at the same time pullin in the clutch and then pullin up on the shifter till it lets u go in.

you'll get the idea. it makes for nice and smooth shifts if you put a LITTLE bit of pressure on the shifter right b4 you shift.

when down shifting pull the clutch in and give the bike some gas just a lil to relieve tension off the chain and just push ur foot down and it should go in nice and smoothly compared to standard clunking.

i hope that helps a lil bit.

Quick Reply: 06 cbr - engine knocking??