CBR 600F4 1999 - 2000 Honda CBR 600F4 Forum

Help splitting the crankcase! 1999 600 f4

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2016, 09:09 AM
Retired Super Moderator and Fighterer
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

The bolts for the mains! Those are one-time use. They don't re-torque correctly.

I'd say head gasket if you took the head off, but I wouldn't replace it if you didn't take it off.

Old 07-22-2016, 09:14 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Conrice
The bolts for the mains! Those are one-time use. They don't re-torque correctly.

I'd say head gasket if you took the head off, but I wouldn't replace it if you didn't take it off.
Alright I'll do that, thanks. I'll get photobucket and post some pictures once everything is back together

Old 07-22-2016, 11:32 AM

Where are the bolts for the mains located? And where do you think I could find replacements? Thanks

Old 07-25-2016, 02:35 PM

Originally Posted by Nbruce
So I got the replacement transmission in and now I'm just wondering if there is any gaskets, bolts, or anything I need to replace before I put everything back together? Thanks
I just finished a similar job on my '99 f4. It was jumping out of second: I had a lot of wear on the #1 fork, 6th where the #1 fork contacted it, almost invisible wear on the shift drum and worn gears where the dogs contacted. Did you pull the gears off the shafts and inspect them? Mine looked fine until I pulled them apart and the damage became apparent.

My photos are here:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/morgan9283/

Here's second where 6th was slipping out:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/morgan...posted-public/

The wear on 6th where the fork contacted it:

I replace one other gear, I believe it was 3rd:

An acquaintance who does this job a lot was adamant that I repair the drum--the wear was just barely visible but measurable with a caliper. The drum isn't available and the replacements I ordered from ebay all had the same wear. He put a drop of weld on the spot and I filed it down with a dremel. I used a hardened dremel bit and then a coarse polishing compound until the fork passed through perfectly. I have photos of this if you'd like to me to post them.

Also be sure to check your bearings--the bearing on my shift drum was suspect.

I forgot to order orings, sealing washes and gaskets and as a result had a coolant leak once I put everything back together. How are the boots between your carbs and header? Mine were rock solid and were a pain to re-install, I should have ordered new ones.

Did you remove your cam chain tensioner? I did and moved the crank around to get the cam chain guide off the case. As a result I got the cam chain off by a toth on the cam sprockets and the bike didn't run so well initially.

Did you buy exhaust gaskets? They may not be necessary but you might as well buy them for re-assembly.

If you do pull the gears off the shaft be before careful to put them back on in the same orientation. The Chilton guide was a huge help as I got a few mixed up while they were apart. The manual says to replace the circlips so I did.

Oh and clean out your coarse filter while you're in there--mine had a ton of metal in it.

-morgan

Old 07-25-2016, 10:47 PM

1999 Honda CBR600F4 A CRANKCASE | Ron Ayers

Should be eight #12 and two #10 bolts.

This would be your mains.

Old 07-26-2016, 06:38 AM

Thanks I'll order those and get this thing back together!

Old 07-31-2016, 10:16 AM

Are the bolt mains on the main shaft? On the head? Case bolts?

Old 07-31-2016, 10:30 AM

https://m.flickr.com/#/photos/142601...7671715083566/

This is the link to my pictures

Old 07-31-2016, 08:34 PM

They're what keeps the correct torque on the crank shaft. They're case bolts, but they're for the crank journals. The rest are okay to re use (the smaller bolts around the case).

Are you still trying to split the case? I can see you have the mains loosened...

Old 07-31-2016, 08:40 PM

They're what keeps the correct torque on the crank shaft. They're case bolts, but they're for the crank journals. The rest are okay to re use (the smaller bolts around the case).

Are you still trying to split the case? I can see you have the mains loosened...

Okay, and no I'm working on putting it all back together right now. I saw that the shift dogs were grinded down so I just ordered a new transmission. I checked the forks and drum and they all looked great.

Quick Reply: Help splitting the crankcase! 1999 600 f4