CBR 600F4 1999 - 2000 Honda CBR 600F4 Forum

Fuel tank question/carb question

Old 06-13-2011, 11:34 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel tank question/carb question

Over the weekend we took off my fuel tank and the carb to clean the carb and replace my spark plugs. when we got to putting it all back together and tried to start it up, and kind of sputtered and died. We noticed there wasnt fuel being pumped from the tank to the pump, but we can hear the pump working. we took some gas and put into the hose that connect to the fuel tank and blew on it and were able to start the bike. Obviously the valve connects to the fuel pump, we have two other hoses. Is one of these supposed to connect to something else? And the other question is, we didn't take the carbs apart completely, everything was working before we took it off. When we were able to get it started up it sounded like they werent all working. Could this be a spark plug issue? anyway to really test this?

Old 06-13-2011, 05:37 PM

or can one of you guys take a picture under your fuel tank and where the hoses go?id love you guys forever.

Old 06-13-2011, 10:21 PM

if you think one of your cylinders isnt firing you can check the temp of each header pipe and see if one of them isnt heating up like the rest that would tell you which cylinder

Old 06-13-2011, 10:27 PM

yah thats the plan, but gotta get the damn tank working first. we've funneled gas into the pump and its started but doesnt stay on long because the need for more gas. I really think the tank problem has to do with one of the hoses. I've read one is a runoff or w/e and it doesnt connect to anything, obviously theres the petcock or w/e the **** there called that connects to the pump, and then i have another hose on the tank but i have no effing idea where it c onnects to. that seems to be my problem. But then again, I'm not sure either. I was hoping someone could take a picture of there tank and all the hoses.

Old 06-13-2011, 11:05 PM

Name:  help.jpg
Views: 4091
Size:  32.5 KB

this is what we have.

Old 06-14-2011, 09:08 PM

mine doesnt even have a hose connected there

Old 06-21-2011, 02:10 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by odano1988
yah thats the plan, but gotta get the damn tank working first. we've funneled gas into the pump and its started but doesnt stay on long because the need for more gas. I really think the tank problem has to do with one of the hoses. I've read one is a runoff or w/e and it doesnt connect to anything, obviously theres the petcock or w/e the **** there called that connects to the pump, and then i have another hose on the tank but i have no effing idea where it c onnects to. that seems to be my problem. But then again, I'm not sure either. I was hoping someone could take a picture of there tank and all the hoses.
I'll do this from memory as I can't take a picture now but there are 4 things connected to the tank.

From left to right (when sitting on the bike) you have the reserve fuel sensor connectors. A thick breather tube, a smaller (I think) overflow tube that has a little angled connector to it and the on the right the petcock. Both connect to the tank on one end but hang free on the other. They are routed passed the front sprocket and threaded in a little tab on the left side fairing to keep it in place.

There was another member on here that had a similar problem and I think the breather tube was clogged or something like that (did you completely drain the tank?

Old 09-13-2015, 11:36 AM

Hi guys
I was doing a race with my cbr powered buggy today.
I ran out of fuel after just 15 minutes
minutes.
I filled up the fuel tank and turned On the switch. Fuel started pouring out of line nr 4 (see pic in first post). This line was never even connected To anything.
I use a different fuel pump (size of a small soda can)
Any ideas what caused the problem?

Old 09-15-2015, 07:26 AM

@odano1988
First try blowing through the vent hose. Sometimes that can cause it to not feed the pump.

If that don't work, try putting a little gas into the carbs. My bike was doing the same thing. I did that and got it started, then the pump started filling like it should. Do you have gas in your fuel filter? If so, have you changed it recently?

Originally Posted by Stella52
Hi guys
I was doing a race with my cbr powered buggy today.
I ran out of fuel after just 15 minutes
minutes.
I filled up the fuel tank and turned On the switch. Fuel started pouring out of line nr 4 (see pic in first post). This line was never even connected To anything.
I use a different fuel pump (size of a small soda can)
Any ideas what caused the problem?
You may have better luck getting an answer, by making a new thread, specific to your issue!