CBR 600F4 1999 - 2000 Honda CBR 600F4 Forum

2000 Honda CBR600 F4 not F4i

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2012, 08:22 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2000 Honda CBR600 F4 not F4i

Ok here is the deal....I have seen a couple different posts on here of "SIMILAR" issues. but i figured i would post my specific problem to maybe see your opinion on the issue.

i got the bike which is my very first bike ever back in october of last year. rode it a few time around the neighborhood and like twice to work which is only like a mile or two...one morning i went to go to work fired it up to let it warm up like i had normally done and went back out it had died and wouldnt start back up just crank over. after letting it set all day i fired it back up and a few mins later the same thing it died and wouldnt start. so i figred maybe it was the fuel i had gotten cuz some other fellow bikers told me they had fuel problems because of using 81 octaine fuel. so today i went out turned the fuel valve off and started it so it would run the fuel out of the lines and all i pulled the tank off drained what fuel was left into a can and it drained fine through the petcock put the tank back on the bike with new premium gas in it and it just cranked so i sprayed a shot of starting fluid in it she fired up and ran for a few seconds then died. all it dose is crank over and crank over. i do have it on a battery tender to keep the battery at a good level of charge. its only got like 10,500 miles on the bike.

ive been told its the carbs and they could use rebuilt cuz its sat alot and i had thought about putting a pipe on it cuz its completely stock. and figured i could jet it and rebuild them all at once, but after today im not convenced that could be the problem. i may be wrong but would like any advice. i think this year may have a fuel pump on it i dont know if thats a direction or what but HELP PLEASE i dont feel like spending $$$ on shop time if i can fix it myself.

Old 02-16-2012, 08:31 PM
Welcome Crew and May 2012 Ride of the Month
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The manual states minimum 87 Octane so I would definitely not go below that.
I have never heard of 81 octane myself?
Do you mean 91?

It definitely sounds like a fuel delivery problem, FPR or fuel pump maybe.

I'm sure someone here will know more about this then I will.

Last edited by jeffjones; 02-16-2012 at 08:33 PM.
Old 02-16-2012, 09:05 PM

ok well just now went out side and it fired up i let it run for a couple mins with the choke kicked the choke of had to play with the throttle the whole time after that to keep it running then it died and all it will do now is crank over again. there is like a little bit of "lag" in the throttle to revv it up i twist the throttle and it will like hessitate before it like revv up and it was doing that before i did this.

Old 02-16-2012, 10:09 PM

Sounds to me like you would be well off making sure your choke and idle procedures are setup and then tackling the other things:

STEP ONE: Turn the choke on, prime the system by turning the grip 3 times, then start her up. If she doesn't stay running with out your help - then try turning your idle screw to the left to bring the rpms up. If messing with the idle screw doesn't help at all and she won't stay running, go to step 2. If you can get her to run, turn up the idle screw enough so when all warmed up and you let off the choke.. She doesn't die. Then you can turn the screw back to the right slowly until you're at about 1300-1500 rpms.

STEP 2: Since you ruled out the battery and you said she cranks - the R/R won't also be a factor. This is fuel related. Take off your tank after draining it and take a nice look inside, how's it look? Next, inspect your fuel lines down to your fuel filter. Your fuel filter will more than likely indicate if you need to clean your jets or not. My bet is your low jets need a good cleaning but we'll get there. Check the fuel filter for anything unusual like crap gas dirt stuff. If you haven't found anything in the tank, lines, or filter.. Go to step 3. If you did find rust or dirt in your tank + lines etc.. Clean it all up and go to step 3.

STEP 3: Clean your float bowls and jets.. Reassemble and refuel with fresh 87 gas. Fire her up!

Old 02-16-2012, 10:27 PM

like after she is warmed up though and i wouldnt even say warmed up cuz the needle on the guage dont even move i cant keep her running period and all she dose it crank over after she dies.

Old 02-16-2012, 10:33 PM

So I'm pretty much down to she is going to the shop and let them clean the carbs rejet them and go ahead and doing the pipe. I was in hopes of not having to do that cuz they said $500ish for parts and labor since I was supplying my pipe.

Old 02-16-2012, 10:52 PM

$513 is what it cost me to get the jets and carbs + tank and fuel lines done. Oh and they threw in a fuel filter too. See if they will do your tank and fuel filter too for that price and I'd say that's not too bad.. Or tackle it yourself if you feel savvy

Old 02-16-2012, 11:44 PM

I'm betting fuel pump, You can bypass it and run a gas line straight from tank to carbs and see if it will run. If it does and stay's running then you know your problem

Old 02-17-2012, 10:32 AM

Ok well I'm going to Honda to get a new fuel filter and fuel line that goes from the tank to the filter cuz she looks like its getting kinked up cuz its like almost a foot long hose and I KNOW that's not right. As soon as I get back I'm going to try bypassing the pump and see if she will stay running for me. If she will then I'll spend $125 on a new fuel pump. And odd I did leave the fuel switch on last night and I come out this morning to a pool of gas on the floor. That was a first. But no signs of me leaving anything loose I think it was coming out the carbs so yeah awesome tid bit.

Old 02-17-2012, 12:24 PM
Track junkie & modaholic

Whats your idle speed? is should be 1300 +/- 100 rpm

Quick Reply: 2000 Honda CBR600 F4 not F4i