CBR 600F3 1995 - 1998 CBR 600F3 Forum

throttle cables

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2011, 05:16 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the same problem,but mine is cause I have them twisted.

Old 04-04-2011, 05:48 PM

Originally Posted by kerosene
the 2 nut one is the throttle cable, that opens the ports.
yes

Old 04-04-2011, 08:25 PM

Originally Posted by cgmiller83
yes
if that was on top with them screwed in it would cross cables with the other one (release.) I spent 2 hrs looking at the way they run it in the manual and watching videos to see if I was right in how I set it up.

Unless the release cable should also have 2 nuts :\

Old 04-04-2011, 11:30 PM

okay, im going to weigh in here too. without a doubt, THE TOP CABLE IS THE PULL SIDE (TWO NUTS), THE BOTTOM IS THE RETURN SIDE (ONE NUT, NON-ADJUSTABLE). if you have the pull side on the bottom, it is wrong. the pull side should go on the top mount and wrap from the top of the butterfly valve to the back and still be on top. return side, mounts to the bottom and gets routed around the bottom of the carbs and to the back and hook into the bottom hole. if they are backwards, it will bind. also, you will want to adjust the throttle cable at the bars all the way out to give you as much slack as possible and then once they are installed, adjust both at the bars and at the carbs in equal amounts until you have your desired play and then tighten all of the jamb nuts to snug everything in. if it is still binding at that point, then you will need to replace the cables. and while not "necessary", you should replace both pull and return at the same time as a match set to counteract any stretching in one or the other and go back to perfect tolerances.

Old 04-05-2011, 12:57 AM

so the cables cross themselves at the carb end? there's no way of having the cables turned around in the throttle itself since the screw nuts that go into the control plastics are specific sizes.

Old 04-05-2011, 10:13 AM

Ok you guys are right, the adjustable cable is on top, the non is on the bottom (I forgot I was looking at it upside down when I was attaching them.) So I have them attached the correct way, the adjustable one is completely loosened so it has slack, it pulls but still doesn't snap back. If I take the non adjustable one off, it does snap back.

Old 04-05-2011, 01:02 PM

When i put my cables on i make sure there the same length befor i attach them, and make sure cables fit im the the groove made by the clamp that hold them to frame . Iv taken mine off and on about 10 times now simetime they snap back sometimes the hesitate.

Old 03-18-2014, 12:30 PM

Hey Kerosene, were you able to find the solution?

I just bought an F3, and it doesn't snap back either (When I release the throttle, the throttle is still engaged, but slowly disengages).

My mechanic sent me on a mission to find a replacement part. He forgot the name of the part that needs replacing, but he said "it's the part where the throttle cables go into". Thinks it may be called a slider.

Is anyone familiar with this parts name? I need to purchase it.

Old 03-19-2014, 06:21 PM

The only thing other thing he could be refering to (other than the handle) is the butterfly valve thing in your carbs. If this is what he is talking about, you need a new mechanic. Replace the cables, make sure the area where the handle roates is clean and smooth.

Old 03-19-2014, 08:25 PM
Super Moderator
Received 310 Likes on 254 Posts

Do you feel proper tension when you twist it? Both throttle cables connect to the same part. There is only one. If memory serves correct, the pull cable is on top.
A good safety tip is to take a sharpie and write a "T" on the nut of the top one and "B" for the bottom one. That's what I do so I don't have to think. :-)

Quick Reply: throttle cables