CBR 600F3 1995 - 1998 CBR 600F3 Forum

Think I blew my head gasket?

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2014, 03:10 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Think I blew my head gasket?

So I was riding home tonight and the bike was running perfect and then it just started losing power and then just turned off on me so then I thought maybe it ran out of gas but then I noticed the oil light was on and after getting some gas in it, it still wouldn't start and thats when I noticed that around the head gasket, there was oil coming out but there was also oil coming out by carb 1. My theory is, gasket blew on the inside and oil started to come up through the carb and mix with the gas, therefore flooding the carbs with oil and it not being able to start. I dont know anything about internals of engines so would it be cheaper to just get a new engine for a couple hundred bucks?

Old 05-07-2014, 08:38 AM
June 2013 ROTM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hold your horses man. There are 2 gaskets. A blown head gasket usually means coolant is getting into your cylinders. You will get lots of white smoke etc... Power loss too, but that can be many things. The 2nd gasket is the valve cover gasket, which I suspect would stand a much better chance to leak oil. It is easily replaced, if thats your problem. Oil can't really get into carbs, so thats out. And the oil light will be on if the bike isn't running. If its on when the bike IS running, first thing to do is check your oil level...

Old 05-07-2014, 03:37 PM

Sounds like an electrical problem.... fix the leak, probably wont fix the problem. Check voltages on the stator and regulator first. This has happened to me before lately as a matter of fact. My problem was a voltage regulator and a pinched fuel line. These bikes as everyone knows are notorious for the regulator going bad. I installed a new one from an 02 gsxr 600. Way beefier than the oem. So far no issues.

Old 05-07-2014, 03:47 PM

Originally Posted by dad0507
Sounds like an electrical problem.... fix the leak, probably wont fix the problem. Check voltages on the stator and regulator first. This has happened to me before lately as a matter of fact. My problem was a voltage regulator and a pinched fuel line. These bikes as everyone knows are notorious for the regulator going bad. I installed a new one from an 02 gsxr 600. Way beefier than the oem. So far no issues.
As I get that the stator and regulator can go bad, I fail to see how this can be an electrical problem at all. Plus I have already replaced the regulator so it can't be that. I wish it was that easy but this definitely seems mechanical not electrical

Old 05-07-2014, 03:54 PM

The last regulator I purchased lasted me about 2 months. Thats why I put in a different bikes parts. Like I said though fix the oil leak and see if it starts. I dont think it will. Battery, regulator, stator is where I would look first. Its free to check and you might be suprised what you find. Just my 2 cents. Good luck fixing your bike.

Old 05-07-2014, 08:33 PM

Sounds like you have two different problems, but I would doubt a faulty head gasket, like someone else said it would more than likely be coolant mixing with the oil or leaking out of the side of the head, if you have gas in your oil I would probably look to the carbs, I've heard of carb issues leading to a gas/oil mix, and then change the oil before trying to start it. Then run a quick compression test and it will tell you for sure if your head gasket is out, all cylinders should be close to spec but if you notice two neighboring cylinders low then you have a leak between the two. Check for coolant in the oil (milk chocolate look) and vise Vera, that would be a break in the gasket. And lastly check your plugs for burnt coolant, could be a break between the cylinder and coolant (much less likely and would cause severe overheating).

Old 05-07-2014, 11:11 PM

Check out the pics and let me know what you think. Will do a compression test tomorrow

Attached Thumbnails Think I blew my head gasket?-image3.jpg   Think I blew my head gasket?-image4.jpg  
Old 05-08-2014, 12:03 AM
Retired Super Moderator, Tin Star Man & Hurricane Saloon Prospect, ROTM Feb 2015
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Not sure if this is even possible but worth checking.

Crank case breather clogged/kinked, rising pressure lifting oil/ popped crank seal.

Jus a thought cause im having this issue on my car. Hard to think of other ways for oil to get to a carb than through valve seal or crank seal. Take a whif from your radiator and/or drain coolant to a clean vessel to check for oil contamination. Either way if it really did come from inside, the bike should be smoking like a steam locomotive.

Pull the plugs for inspection so we'll know what's going on in the cylinders.

Last edited by Mattson; 05-08-2014 at 12:12 AM.
Old 05-08-2014, 05:25 AM

pull the motor and pull the head off new head gaskets are cheap anyway so it cant harm getting a new one but first check why it has done that

and for the rest of you remember the head has coolant oil and the bore so depending on which part of the flange on the gasket breaks depends on the symptoms

really cant understand why it would leak out the sides and into the carbs, you done an oil change recently? and check the pipe that goes from the camchaft cover to the bottom of the air box it should clear of kinks and attached to the air box

Old 05-10-2014, 03:30 AM

Originally Posted by jackojeff
pull the motor and pull the head off new head gaskets are cheap anyway so it cant harm getting a new one but first check why it has done that

and for the rest of you remember the head has coolant oil and the bore so depending on which part of the flange on the gasket breaks depends on the symptoms

really cant understand why it would leak out the sides and into the carbs, you done an oil change recently? and check the pipe that goes from the camchaft cover to the bottom of the air box it should clear of kinks and attached to the air box

Alright I got it all apart today besides taking the engine out. I wanted to get some advice from the thread before getting into it. Take a look at the pictures and tell me what you think. It looks as if gas was leaking from the carb boot and oil leaking from the head gasket. I didn't drain the oil because I literally changed it like 3 weeks ago but I'll drain it tomorrow and see if theres any coolant in it. It also looks like I need to replace the gaskets on the float bowl covers since it looks like gas was sitting there for awhile cause its green.

Attached Thumbnails Think I blew my head gasket?-photo-1.jpg   Think I blew my head gasket?-photo-2.jpg   Think I blew my head gasket?-photo-4.jpg  

Quick Reply: Think I blew my head gasket?