CBR 600F3 1995 - 1998 CBR 600F3 Forum

Remove the throttle cable from the throttle grip?

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2011, 10:30 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Remove the throttle cable from the throttle grip?

Hey you guys,

I am trying to change the right side handlebar inner weight. I took the two screws off the switch housing. Now I can slide the throttle grip back and forth but can't get it off. If I can take the throttle cables off then I can slide the grip off. The manual said to just take them off and it will slide off, but does not explain on how to take the cables off the throttle grip. If anyone has ever done this or knows how to do this, any help will be appreciated.

Thanks

Attached Thumbnails Remove the throttle cable from the throttle grip?-throttle2.jpg  
Old 04-19-2011, 11:49 AM
Super Moderator
Received 496 Likes on 449 Posts

You may have to loosen the cables slightly, but there should be enough slack in the cables to allow you to tilt the throttle handle upwards. If you can't get enough slack with the adjusters up by the throttle, you can get more slack down near the carbs.

Old 04-19-2011, 11:59 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well it looks like you have it off the clipons, so you should be able to just twist the throttle a littl ena dge the one closes to the engine off first then the other one.

Old 04-19-2011, 12:01 PM

Alright I have taken all the slack that I can from the handlebar side, so I might just have to go to the other side. Will it also work if I take off the handlebar and just slide it all out that way, so I can get to the holes where the clip is holding on?

PS. do you have any pics of how you can do this?

Old 04-19-2011, 05:12 PM

Originally Posted by cbr6rider
Hey you guys,

I am trying to change the right side handlebar inner weight. I took the two screws off the switch housing. Now I can slide the throttle grip back and forth but can't get it off. If I can take the throttle cables off then I can slide the grip off. The manual said to just take them off and it will slide off, but does not explain on how to take the cables off the throttle grip. If anyone has ever done this or knows how to do this, any help will be appreciated.

Thanks
im in the same predicament right now...

Old 04-20-2011, 12:37 AM

I had to loosen it by my carb first.

Old 04-20-2011, 07:04 AM

Originally Posted by TooBroke0029
I had to loosen it by my carb first.
figured this much, i just dont want to go back in there. what a pain..ughh. lol

Old 04-20-2011, 08:45 AM

Yeah I didn't want to go through taking off the tank and air filter just to loosen the cable and have to put it back on. On the right side where the throttle tube is I just went ahead and took off the handlebar. I took the front brake master cylinder off, removed the stopper ring, slipped the handlebar up off the fork, and tuned the handlebar towards to windshield and the throttle tube slipped right off with the switch housing and all cables still connected. I was able to get the old inner weight out and put the new one in easier when I could move freely then just there by my motorcycle with the front wheel moving side to side.

Here is where I got the idea of doing it. Some screen shots of how I did it, but with leaving the throttle cables still on.

Attached Thumbnails Remove the throttle cable from the throttle grip?-handlebar..jpg   Remove the throttle cable from the throttle grip?-handlebar.jpg  
The following users liked this post:
Trowy88 (02-08-2021)
Old 04-20-2011, 08:57 AM

Originally Posted by cbr6rider
Yeah I didn't want to go through taking off the tank and air filter just to loosen the cable and have to put it back on. On the right side where the throttle tube is I just went ahead and took off the handlebar. I took the front brake master cylinder off, removed the stopper ring, slipped the handlebar up off the fork, and tuned the handlebar towards to windshield and the throttle tube slipped right off with the switch housing and all cables still connected. I was able to get the old inner weight out and put the new one in easier when I could move freely then just there by my motorcycle with the front wheel moving side to side.

Here is where I got the idea of doing it. Some screen shots of how I did it, but with leaving the throttle cables still on.
yea, im already at that point as well, the thing im doing is replacing my turn/hi/low and run/kill/start switches. the bike i have was wrecked and sat outside in the elements for a couple years. so those plastics look like straight poop...lol. i went ahead and re-painted everything also..quite a project..