CBR 600F3 1995 - 1998 CBR 600F3 Forum

Please help Dead on HiWay, wont start.

Old 03-20-2012, 03:52 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Please help Dead on HiWay, wont start.

First off, Ive been riding it with no problems at all for 2 weeks now, runs amazingly.

hey MadHatter, I think you can help me on this one, you seem to have a lot of mechnical know how.

I just finsihed my safety wiring, they guy wanted me to put on my stock signals to finish it off. I was cutting corners and uppluged my underglo LEDs and used to ground/negative wire to ground my two turn signals. I left the wiring in quite a mess and some disconted lines (intergrated LED signal wires were hjust hanging and my positive for my underglo left hanging...

(I kno I was in a hurry, and this was just for the time being until he passed, then I was going straight back to my intergrated setup... I just rammed all the wires into a rats nest under the rear seat and forced the seat on... bad call, but it was only gonna be like this for 24hours I figured)

Then I did an oil change, and perhaps put slightly too much oil, just slightly above the full line, and figured meh, its gonna burn off in a month or so.

Now, also, I bought some carb cleaner that you add into the fuel, said it treats 38L+.... So i put half of it into my fuel tank, which was also half.... bad call I think.

Went for a 20min cruise to make sure it ran good, then was goning to take it to the shop next day after work. She ran great and I was satasfied.

Next day, hop on her to get to work- 5min warm up, runs great, 5km down the road, runs great. Get onto hi-way onramp and gun it, runs great.

Suddenly 5km down the hiway I feel motor lag and lose power, im going 60mph/100km at 7000rpm or so. I crack throtle wide open, but that just is enough to keep me going at 4000rpm for a few seconds. Bike dies, I pull in clutch and drift to shoulder. I wait 5min and give it full choke and nearly drain the battery workin the starter, and sure enough it fires, but wont idle below 4000rpm, I start to ride a bit more wanting to get home but it does the same thing and dies. I get it going 1 more time, not happy about abusing the bike, but I need to get home. She dies agiain after a few more km, and battery is dead too now. I push it home.

HELEEEELLLLLPPPPP!!! Im so confusted and I have so many potential issues. Im hoping wireing or fuel, but I think is somthing worse. Does this loss of power situation sound familar to anyone?

Old 03-20-2012, 06:25 AM

I'm not a mechanic, so take this with a grain of salt. It does not sound to me like you did anything that could cause catastrophic engine failure. I do have my doubts about your "bird's nest" of wiring under the seat. I would try to put the wiring back the way it was or, at least, insulate the wire ends with electrical tape. Having wires hanging out just waiting to short out seems like a likely culprit here.

The symtoms also sound like some posts where the R/R has been a problem. You might want to look into that. Good luck with it.

Old 03-20-2012, 07:52 AM

check all of your fuses, if you just stuffed all the random ends of wires together you could have caused a direct short which = blown fuse
hopefully its something simple like that

Old 03-20-2012, 09:04 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Did the battery die from you sitting on the side of the road turning it over and not starting? Or did the bike die and then the battery was dead when you went to restart?

Old 03-20-2012, 02:51 PM

Originally Posted by marc0011
Did the battery die from you sitting on the side of the road turning it over and not starting? Or did the bike die and then the battery was dead when you went to restart?
What does it mean either way?

Old 03-20-2012, 07:44 PM

ha ok guys thanks for all the replies. Well me in a panic did not look to the simplist of all issues- bad fuel. I loaded it up with WAYYY to much carb cleaner... and it didnt even need it, but it was on the shelf beside the oil. blah blah im a consumer sucker...

Anyways it treats 38L or more, and I had maybe 4L, so overnight the carb cleaner settled lower into the tank and fuel pump, running it sucked a high concentration into carbs and wouldnt continue to run. Long story short I charged up the battery, got it running and idle up high to over 4000rpm... lots of white smoke and a weird plasticy smell as the carb cleaner burnt out the the system, I toped it up with premium fuel and let it run a bit longer, noooo problems- bad fuel. (due to me- dumbass)

Took her for a rip around town to make sure, then back to the highway where it broke down to flip it the bird. ha fixed.