CBR 600F3 1995 - 1998 CBR 600F3 Forum

New Member New F3 Advice Needed!

Old 08-20-2016, 05:57 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Member New F3 Advice Needed!

So I just bought my first F3 and I would appreciate a little help to get her fully road ready Some little background first. I’m coming from a 86 Rebel 450 so I know my way around pesky carbs and how moody they can be, as well as other basic motorcycle mechanics, but I am no pro. Im a freshman in college and rather have some guidance on what I should do before i break anything. Also worth noting, that I will include both pictures of the bike and pictures the crazy amount of extra parts the PO gave to me. Some I don't even know what they are.

My F3 has around 30k miles, got it for 1200, but she runs strong ! Starts right up, no bogging, no funky noises, but I do have some minor maintenance type questions.

1st - The PO sold the bike with A BUNCH of extra parts, saying this was his project but his daughter didn’t want him riding blah blah, so he gave me basically a whole extra bike. One of the things that caught my attention that he mentioned, was that he recommends me to put a resivoir bottle because he just has the hose running from the radiator by itself I assume. The day I rode the bike back to campus, I didn’t feel like it ran hot, it was constant speed, I live in S FL so its always generally kind of hot. But once I arrived, parked and turned off the bike, I heard a small hissing sound and then out of no where like a pop, and looked down to see a lot of steam coming through this little hose hanging. Ill upload a video.

I called my shop back where I used to live for some advice and they recommend I install the resivoir bottle and then make sure the fluids topped off for the radiator and fill the reservoir and then run the bike to see what happens. One small problem is my temp gauge does not work, and my speedo is on and off so im assuming it may be a bad connections, also checking fuses.

Any other suggestions regarding this?

2nd - My only other problem with the bike is this noise from the front wheel, almost like if the brakes are slightly rubbing, not necessarily a grinding noise, just at low speeds I hear this metal to metal type grind. I will be replacing the pads though as they were basically metal to metal and cleaning out the break pistons making sure no degree is in there or anything.

So besides that, you never know what the PO has or hasn’t one. He only mentioned doing oil and carbs recently

So I should do

Oil, air filter, plugs, coolant, brakes, brake fluid

any other major maintenance i should cover that may be f3 specific? Sprockets seem to be in decent condition. Any other guidance would be greatly appreciated, just ready to take this beast out all around!

Name:  IMG_0315_zpsbji8bqkm.jpg
Views: 161
Size:  212.2 KB

Name:  IMG_0305_zpsfaphtwkc.jpg
Views: 136
Size:  269.8 KB

Here is an album containing all the extra parts I have some advice on which to check into maybe replacing or using would be great.
Robbie 's Library | Photobucket

Old 08-20-2016, 09:37 PM

Sorry But this is the link to the album or just click on my CBR F3 Album if it doesnt redirect you

CBR F3 by Robbie | Photobucket

or

CBR F3 by Robbie | Photobucket

and the video of the steam coming from the hose is :

or

http://s1376.photobucket.com/user/Ak...cr3ib.mp4.html

Old 08-21-2016, 10:24 AM
Retired Super Moderator and Fighterer
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

You can generally hear the brake pads "kissing" the front rotors if the bike is off and you're pushing it around, but I don't think you'd hear that if the bike was running. Look at the pads, pull a caliper off and look at it. How much pad is left?

As far as the radiator is concerned, you definitely need a reservoir to catch water as the bike heats up. With the bike off (and cold BTW), take the cap off and make sure the radiator is full.

The hook your hose up to your reservoir and fill it a little bit of the way up, you'll top off later.

Start the bike up and let it go through a heat cycle (cool, to warm, to fan on), burp the system and top off the radiator and replace the cap, then fill up the reservoir to the right line.

Old 08-21-2016, 11:34 AM

Great, so I can understand the brake pads "kissing" the rotors when im pushing the bike around, thats a good way of describing it. But i do hear it slightly with the bike running. I just ordered a new set of pads because my current ones are basically metal to metal.

As far as the radiator goes thanks! Ill get on that, shouldn't be too hard to hook up the reservoir just right side of the bike I near the radiator right? I see it in the manual but no specific way of installing.

Thanks again!

Originally Posted by Conrice
You can generally hear the brake pads "kissing" the front rotors if the bike is off and you're pushing it around, but I don't think you'd hear that if the bike was running. Look at the pads, pull a caliper off and look at it. How much pad is left?

As far as the radiator is concerned, you definitely need a reservoir to catch water as the bike heats up. With the bike off (and cold BTW), take the cap off and make sure the radiator is full.

The hook your hose up to your reservoir and fill it a little bit of the way up, you'll top off later.

Start the bike up and let it go through a heat cycle (cool, to warm, to fan on), burp the system and top off the radiator and replace the cap, then fill up the reservoir to the right line.

Old 08-21-2016, 04:09 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks like you got a bunch of extra stock parts except for the Jarding slip on muffler. Why did he have all those parts? Is the parts on the bike bent or tweaked, thats why. Or are the parts bent and those were replace with whats on the bike now? It looks to me maybe the front wheel on the bike is bent, right by the fork in the pic. But maybe its just the pic looks a little funny.

Old 08-21-2016, 07:27 PM

Well the owner said it was a project, but i mean he gave me a stock spring for example and the spring on it isnt stock, the other wheel he gave me isnt really bent as much but has a bad tire. umm just extra forks, stock headers but nothings wrong with my headers. But yeah youre right my wheel does have a bend. Besides that everything is functional on the bike nothing out of the norm except the missing reservoir bottle which he gave me also. Nonetheless, theres a lot of parts that could've been resold that I plan on reselling to fund my oil, plugs, etc.

Originally Posted by coalminer frank
Looks like you got a bunch of extra stock parts except for the Jarding slip on muffler. Why did he have all those parts? Is the parts on the bike bent or tweaked, thats why. Or are the parts bent and those were replace with whats on the bike now? It looks to me maybe the front wheel on the bike is bent, right by the fork in the pic. But maybe its just the pic looks a little funny.

Old 08-22-2016, 08:55 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You might want to check your forks, wheels, swingarm, etc. to see if there is any damage and straightness before you sell any of the extra stuff. And/or maybe some of the extra stuff is tweaked. But I'd try to find out before I sold anything, you might need it. Also, you said you come from a Honda Rebel, maybe once you get ripping on the F3 you might need those forks, handle bars, etc later, hopefully not, catching my drift?

Old 08-22-2016, 08:59 AM
Super Moderator
Received 309 Likes on 253 Posts

I'm just curious as to how the full length mirror fit on the bike.

Old 08-22-2016, 09:30 AM
Administrator and MVN, March 2012/Oct 2013 ROTM
Received 117 Likes on 107 Posts

Did it come with the 'Christmas Story' lamp too?

Old 08-22-2016, 10:16 AM

You speak the truth! So far the forks, spring, and swing arm look and perform in good condition. My only problem really is the front wheel with that bend and it makes the tire leak air so that's no Bueno. Of course the bike has been dropped but it doesn't like steer away during speed or anything. I am waiting on the new pads so I can do a full caliper clean and pad replacement to see if that fixes my little "kissing" of the rotors issue. But I totally catch your drift hope I'm
Not using these parts too soon.

Originally Posted by coalminer frank
You might want to check your forks, wheels, swingarm, etc. to see if there is any damage and straightness before you sell any of the extra stuff. And/or maybe some of the extra stuff is tweaked. But I'd try to find out before I sold anything, you might need it. Also, you said you come from a Honda Rebel, maybe once you get ripping on the F3 you might need those forks, handle bars, etc later, hopefully not, catching my drift?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: New Member New F3 Advice Needed!