Go Back   CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners > Past CBR Models > CBR 600F3
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-20-2010, 05:12 PM
Official Welcome Crew Spicy Cat

Send a message via AIM to spicymeowmix Send a message via Skype™ to spicymeowmix
Default Make your gas cap keyless (or if you lost your key)

I'm sure this has been done before, but here's a quickie 5min thing to do if your gas cap key goes missing like mine did.

Click the image to open in full size.

There's a metal ring around the inside of the rubber gasket which you must remove first.

This gains access to 3 screws, which when removed, allows the locking mechanism to detach from the tank mount.

Once removed, remove the rubber seal between them, and the lock cylinder slides right out

Then remove the pins with pliers (they all come out one way), slide it back in, reassemble, and you are good to go!

(keep in mind, you will have to drill it first or pick it if its locked on your tank)
This ad is not displayed to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on CBRForum!
Old 01-22-2010, 10:45 PM
Super Moderator

Send a message via Skype™ to IDoDirt

Very nice !! This is not at all what I thought it was going to be based on the description. I always wondered how it came apart. I guess it wouldn't be that difficult to re-key the lock to match your keys. Maybe getting a lock from ebay and taking parts to locksmith. Who knows...

How to Repair the Fuel Pump on Your F3
(Updated)
Rode to Austin, TX April 2013, Inaugural MotoGP Race @ Circuit of the Americas.

Don't forget to fill out your profile so we know where you're from.

"Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime."

- Confucius, Circa 551 - 479
Old 01-23-2010, 02:18 AM

Nice!! Job done. Screwdrivers make better keys at track days anyway!!
Old 03-30-2010, 08:14 AM
Official Welcome Crew Spicy Cat

Send a message via AIM to spicymeowmix Send a message via Skype™ to spicymeowmix

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDoDirt View Post
Very nice !! This is not at all what I thought it was going to be based on the description. I always wondered how it came apart. I guess it wouldn't be that difficult to re-key the lock to match your keys. Maybe getting a lock from ebay and taking parts to locksmith. Who knows...
My friend ended up using this gas cap for his honda track project bike actually...
since even a coke tab will open it now, it makes well for a track bike i'd imagine.

---

The local shop wanted too much money and I needed gas at the time, so this was an easy fix... you can do it while its still on your tank after you drill it also... I think I saw a guy on the forums here who did just that!
Old 03-30-2010, 08:14 AM

Tags
954rr, cap, cbr, gas, honda, key, locking, lose, lost, make, missing, pick, remove, replace, seals