CBR 600F3 1995 - 1998 CBR 600F3 Forum

F3 Wont start! Must pop start barely runs Help

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2009, 09:37 PM
July 2012 Ride of the Month
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default F3 Wont start! Must pop start barely runs Help

I pkan on trading my bike for a 96 f3 in OK condition. It has been sitting for about a year. I charged the battery, because the guy im getting it from doesnt have a charger, and yesterday we put it in the bike and tried to get it going. Turned the key all the lights came on, choke all the way on, pressed the start button, cranked but didnt actually start.
We pushed it I was riding I popped started it in second, started back fireing and shooting flames out of the aftermarket exhaust. It was running in second and first (I didnt shift to third) but would only go up to about 6000 rpms and sputter and try to keep going/continue to shoot flames.

Even when I turned the throttle completely in first gear it would stay at 6000 rpms. Bring in the clutch it would die, have to pop start it again and it would still sputter and not go higher then 6000 rpms even at full throttle. Does anyone know whats wrong?

Old 07-26-2009, 10:44 PM

A bike that has been sitting that long will need its carbs cleaned. It may also have water in the fuel tank. Here is a link by another member (Dissevered) that can walk you through it.
https://cbrforum.com/forum/showthrea...retor+cleaning
Good luck on the project!
mikey

Old 07-26-2009, 10:54 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by mikey49
A bike that has been sitting that long will need its carbs cleaned. It may also have water in the fuel tank. Here is a link by another member (Dissevered) that can walk you through it.
https://cbrforum.com/forum/showthrea...retor+cleaning
Good luck on the project!
mikey
+1
Just got a 95 that had been sitting for 1.5+ years. Mine starts and idles ok but definately running rough. Gonna drain the gas tank and clean the carbs by hand (tried seafoam, no joy) tomorrow and will let you know what I find. With pics too

Old 07-27-2009, 02:57 PM

thanks guys. I dont want to bring the bike to the shop because they will charge me alot.
I have never cleaned the carbs myself how hard is it to do. I will have the manual.
Hopefully getting it tomorrow just need to find a truck first.

Old 07-27-2009, 06:28 PM

first time = pain in the ***. thats how it is with everything. first time through, you learn everything on what TO do and what NOT to do. but, its a learning experience. you'll be fine.

Old 07-27-2009, 07:48 PM
Default Dealer...

I kind of disagree with not taking it to a shop. Find somebody that will work with you. See what kind of deal you can make if you bring them the bike with the tank and plastics off, or maybe even just the carbs. Have them clean it and re-sync them if you take the whole bike. At my shop we'd charge 2 to 3 hours labor for the whole bike, tear down to roll out. That's $160 to $240 to have a pro with the right tools, manuals, chemicals and knowledge already in hand.

Old 07-27-2009, 08:30 PM

Originally Posted by racer212
I kind of disagree with not taking it to a shop. Find somebody that will work with you. See what kind of deal you can make if you bring them the bike with the tank and plastics off, or maybe even just the carbs. Have them clean it and re-sync them if you take the whole bike. At my shop we'd charge 2 to 3 hours labor for the whole bike, tear down to roll out. That's $160 to $240 to have a pro with the right tools, manuals, chemicals and knowledge already in hand.
And I kinda disagree with you as well. A shop has expertise, tools and parts that a newb doesn't. Granted. But I spent the weekend tearing into my bike. I got the carbs partially cleaned, fixed an oil leak, replaced the chain, replaced the sprockets, changed the oil, replaced the air filter, raised the rear to stock height, changed out the kickstand / switch, fixed the front left turn signal, replaced both rear turn signals, replaced a boatload of missing bolts and flushed the tank of bad gas. All that with 0 experience working on a motorcycle, the Haynes repair manual (which is poorly organized) and this website.

I could have taken the bike to a shop and had my gal running 2 weeks ago. And probably would have spent less upfront (not buying tools i didn't have). But the shop wouldn't have given me the confidence I gained doing it myself. I'm learning my bike inside and out. If I need to tweak something I'll be able to recognize what I need to tweak and how to do it. And I also will have confidence in the bike based on my own craftsmanship.

And confidence is a key factor in riding a motorcycle.

Old 07-28-2009, 10:42 AM

Thanks. Yea I mean I DONT want to take it to a shop, BUT I will if I have to. Because I am a little nervous about taking the carbs off and I dont even know how to clean them and I probably dont have the right tools for all the little stuff internally. I know they will get it clean and running perfect because they worked on my 250 and i havent had a problem since.

The shop closest to me says they charge 80 bucks a carb..... fair? unfair?

Old 07-28-2009, 10:58 AM

Place by me wants $400 flat, and there's only one guy there that knows carb'd bikes. That place sucks. A lot.

However, I was once a noob (I know!) and carb cleaning is precisley HOW I learned the bike inside and out. I bought the bike nonfunctional, and it was the first thing I had to do, and I learned A LOT, and I don't mean "the hard way." It's a fantastic learning experience.

granted, I had about 15 years of experience with cars before this (though all injected), so I at least had a high level of comfort with taking a wrench to something in general. I grabbed the service manual, and dove in. Took me the whole weekend the first time around, but now I could get them out, cleaned and back in an afternoon (pending I don't have to soak anything). It's not hard to do, it's just hard to find all the screws you need to loosen the first time around. Once you know where everything is, you can do it with your eyes closed.

A motorcycle is a hobby, not a reliable main form of transportation. By nature, they beat the hell out of themselves, and require constant maintenence, and you'll always find yourself having to fix some little thing that went odd. It's best to learn how to do as much as possible on your own, or else you'll end up paying for the bike 20x over in shop fees.

Also: +10000000 to this website. I have never come across a better conglomeration of helpful, KNOWLEDGABLE, and courteous people in all of the Internet, and I've been surfing since the Virtual Dissectable Frog website was modern marvel, and nobody knew Bonsai Kitten was a hoax.

Last edited by johnnyx; 07-28-2009 at 11:08 AM.
Old 07-28-2009, 05:04 PM

Originally Posted by Konamtbdjc
Thanks. Yea I mean I DONT want to take it to a shop, BUT I will if I have to. Because I am a little nervous about taking the carbs off and I dont even know how to clean them and I probably dont have the right tools for all the little stuff internally. I know they will get it clean and running perfect because they worked on my 250 and i havent had a problem since.

The shop closest to me says they charge 80 bucks a carb..... fair? unfair?
$80 x 4 = $320

Necessary tools = metric sockets, long & short screwdrivers (both phillips and flat cause u never know who might have substituted a screw) & patience. Regular carb cleaner will work just DON'T get it on anything rubber or plastic

Quick Reply: F3 Wont start! Must pop start barely runs Help