CBR 600F3 1995 - 1998 CBR 600F3 Forum

Delayed throttle response when cranking the throttle - good response when rolling.

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2013, 09:34 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Delayed throttle response when cranking the throttle - good response when rolling.

Hey everyone, new CBR owner and first post. Just bought a '97 F3 a few weeks ago. After replacing the horribly worn sprockets, the bad regulator, and dead battery, I've almost got the bike running. My current endeavor involves syncing the carbs which has turned out to be a bit of a project in itself.

Consider that first paragraph an introduction - now onto the point of this thread. I tore the carbs off the intake to get to the vacuum adapters for the sync, then placed everything back the way it came off (so I thought). After getting it back together and starting the bike, I discovered that the throttle response was delayed. When rolling on the throttle, the bike sounds great and responds well -- but when cranking the throttle, it lags until about 2000-2500 rpms then picks up and does its thing. My first thought was a possible vacuum leak. So I picked up some carb cleaner and sprayed around the intake boots with the engine on -- low and behold, all of them had a leak.

I'll tell you what I did wrong. When removing the carbs the first time around, the boots stayed connected to the intake. When placing the carbs back into the boots, they must not have went completely around the lip of the head on the carb, thus, not sealing correctly. So, today, I took them back off, cleaned the heads on the intake and carbs, cleaned the rubber boots, check for cracks and damage then reinstalled it all -- only this time, I made sure to clamp the boots to the carbs first before sliding them onto the intake. This really the only way to visually ensure a good seal.

This fixed the vacuum leak and made the bike sound better overall but the "delayed throttle response" is still an issue. Any ideas? Do the F3s have an accelerator pump? A throttle position sensor? Perhaps the air filter and air box not being on the bike has something to do with it? Maybe a bad fuel filter? Dirty carbs? Idk, I'm just guessing. Any suggestions on what to check first? I'm trying to get the bike on the road ASAP so I'd rather not tear the carbs apart and clean them if I don't have to. What are some of the most obvious possible cause and solutions? Any input would be appreciated.

Old 05-23-2013, 08:31 PM

If i am correct, if you have to big of jets in your carbs, when you rip the throttle wide open from an idle they will dump to much gas into the motor causing a delay until the motor can catch up to itself, something to look into if you have stock jets or not

Old 05-25-2013, 01:18 AM

+1 with NoMercy28100
Also check your jet needles are not shimmed,pull them out from the slides,(there should be just 1 washer on the needle and the tiny spring from factory)
From memory (not at home) the distance from bottom of slide to the end of the jet needle is 39mm once assembled.
Ride safe,
Ant.