CBR 600F3 1995 - 1998 CBR 600F3 Forum

1998 CBR F3 Idling/Dying W/ Videos

Old 07-07-2011, 08:09 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1998 CBR F3 Idling/Dying W/ Videos

Hello all, I need help with my dying F3. Quick story, I've owned this bike for 4 years now and when I first got it it ran mint, and living in Minnesota we can't ride during the winter...... Moving on, so Spring came along and started up the bike and it was fine, but sounded kindof rough. My friend works at a bike shop so I dropped it off for him to clean carbs and etc. After that it ran better then before and smooth. That was in 2010. In 2011, I parked it in the garage again for winter with barely any gas and I put a little fuel stabilizer in it. When spring came along, first thing I did was buy fresh oil, filter. Then I took the bike down to get some fresh gas for the tank. "I THINK" the problem was putting seafoam into the fresh tank. I just put alittle to help clean out the fuel lines and etc during that period of storage but after this seafood all hell broke loose. Bike started misfiring, backfiring, and I even had to change out the plugs because they seem to be soaked. I'm done with this bike, just need to fix it and sell it. Sorry about the long story, but what can be the problem!

CLIFF NOTES-
2011 Stored in for winter
2011 Spring got new oil, filters, and put seafoam with a fresh tank of gas
-Misfiring, backfiring
-Pulled spark plugs and they were soaked, replaced them ran good for a week and started acting up again.
-Can't hold idle by itself
-Please help

YouTube - Trouble Shooting 1

YouTube - Trouble Shooting 2

HOW it sounded like before oil change, filters, seafoam etc.

YouTube - 1998 CBR F3 W/ Two Brothers Exhaust (Cold Start-up)

Old 07-07-2011, 10:40 PM
Super Moderator
Received 496 Likes on 449 Posts

Mostly it just sounds like the idle screw is turned out too far. Meaning it's set for too low of an idle. Turn the **** in a half turn, or even a full turn.

Old 07-07-2011, 10:44 PM

I'll mess with that tomorrow. But the thing is, I don't think thats the problem because the bike sounds like its mis firing. Almost sounds like a Subaru idle, when it's suppose to sound way more quiet and more consisting sounding. :/ But hopefully it's the idle screw.

Old 07-07-2011, 10:51 PM

also if you had the seafoam mixed to rich then it won't run right. and you may still have some in the fuel bowls and your gas lines. if you get it running and can keep it running take it out and play around for a few mins and see if it clears up.

Old 07-07-2011, 11:04 PM

Originally Posted by jveach
also if you had the seafoam mixed to rich then it won't run right. and you may still have some in the fuel bowls and your gas lines. if you get it running and can keep it running take it out and play around for a few mins and see if it clears up.
Yeah I forgot to state that IT sounds like this only on the start up. If I ride it right away it bogs and there is no power at all, but once it clears up then it rides like normal. Maybe i'll just take out this fuel and go pump some rest clean fuel and let it run. Stupid seafoam, I should have never used it in the bike :/

Old 07-07-2011, 11:29 PM

I love seafoam, it's amazing stuff. but it doesn't burn very good so you have to make sure you mix it correctly.

Old 07-07-2011, 11:48 PM

I love seafoam, it's amazing stuff. but it doesn't burn very good so you have to make sure you mix it correctly.
Thanks for your input. I appreciate it. But I never really thought about measuring it for a bike. I use it for my cars all the time but this time is different lol

Old 07-08-2011, 12:27 AM

yup bike holds around 4 gallons of gas, and a car holds around 13+..... one can is for treating I think 20 gallons of gas. So in theory, you should have used 1/4 a can. I have always added no more than half can and been fine.... But I did have hesitation when WOT riding until it all was ran out.

Old 07-08-2011, 01:54 AM
Registered Users

yup bike holds around 4 gallons of gas, and a car holds around 13+..... one can is for treating I think 20 gallons of gas. So in theory, you should have used 1/4 a can. I have always added no more than half can and been fine.... But I did have hesitation when WOT riding until it all was ran out.
I know for sure it wasn't a full can lol. But I'll suck this gas out and put new gas in! I'll see what happens next! Thanks Bro!

Old 07-09-2011, 02:48 AM

It does sound like it's chugging, but it will sound like that with a really low idle.

If turning up the idle doesn't fix it then I would say the Seafoam broke loose a chunk of something that ended up in one or more pilot jets.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 1998 CBR F3 Idling/Dying W/ Videos