CBR 600F3 1995 - 1998 CBR 600F3 Forum

Carb removal

Old 03-11-2008, 12:38 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Carb removal

Hello everyone! Like some others here my F3 has been sitting through the winter and now it wont start. Cranks and cranks but won't catch, no backfires or anything. I replaced the sparkplugs to no avail so now I figure the next step is to drain the gas tank and try some new fuel. Seems to me that I might as well check the carbs while I am in there. How long do they generally take to remove? I caught the advice about buying a long *** screwdriver (what number?), any other helpful hints? Can I drain the fuel completely without removing the carbs if it turns into a huge PITA? My main concern is that the jets are plugged with gummed up fuel. Can I clean them without removing them from the bike? Thanks!

Old 03-11-2008, 12:56 AM
Default RE: Carb removal

My record for removing them is about 20 minutes, but that's not including removing the fairings. For a first time removal, it might take an hour or more. You can drain the carbs without taking the carbs off, there's some drain screws on the side of the float bowls, just make sure you have something underneath to catch the fuel. Can't really get to the jets without removing the carbs.

Old 03-11-2008, 01:08 AM

What do I need to remove to get to the drain screws? Can you give me a better idea where they are?

Old 03-11-2008, 08:00 AM

Well the first thing that popped into my head was maybe your battery isn't all the way charged, or charged enough to open the coils to the sparkplugs. It could be charged enough to crank the motor but not charged enough to send a spark, Try removing the plugs and check for spark. Than get back with us.

Old 03-11-2008, 01:27 PM

ORIGINAL: AKRider

What do I need to remove to get to the drain screws? Can you give me a better idea where they are?
You can see all four if you stand on one of the sides of the bike (can't remember if it's the right or left). They'll be at the very bottom of the carbs, think they're like bronze colored screws, nevertheless they're the only screws on the side of the float bowl covers. You'd need to remove the rear cowl and lower side fairings to see them. Then remove the seat and tank assuming you just want to drain them and don't want to remove the carbs. Although you'll have a hell of a time draining them if you don't remove the carbs, its REALLY cramped in there with all the hoses and stuff going everywhere.

If you want to remove the carbs, in addition to above, you'll need to completely remove the airbox from the carbs, then unbolt the clamp thingies holding on the carbs, disconnect the throttle cables, disconect the throttle position sensor that's attached to the left side of the frame, and remove all the hoses going to the carbs.

Old 03-11-2008, 08:31 PM

OK so I got into the bike this afternoon. I was able to drain the tanks and the bowls (thanks kwong!) and put in some new gas. It still refuses to start so I pulled all the plugs to check for spark and they all check out fine. I also cleaned the air filter to make sure I was getting good airflow. After I reinstalled the tank I opened the carb bowls to make sure I was getting gas to the carb and only 1 out of the 4 appeared to be getting fuel. What would cause this, bad fuel pump or maybe something gummed up in the carb itself? Blocked filter perhaps?

Old 03-11-2008, 11:52 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Check the voltage of the battery. If your battery is too low, the bike will not start even though it's cranking over. If that checks out (12.5+ V) then check the fuel filters and make sure your petcock vavle is working. If that all checks out... check the flow of your fuel pump.

Old 03-12-2008, 12:18 AM

I put the battery on the charger tonight just to make sure its totally charged so that gets checked tomorrow but it was putting out decent spark even before I charged it. I checked the petcock when I drained the tank, didn't see any problems there. I am going to replace the filter tomorrow as they are inexpensive and the pump is next on the list if that doesnt work. Is there an easy way to check the output? I figured I would pull the hose off after the pump and hit the starter and see what happens but I am open to suggestions as to how to better go about it...

Old 03-12-2008, 06:52 AM

ORIGINAL: AKRider

I put the battery on the charger tonight just to make sure its totally charged so that gets checked tomorrow but it was putting out decent spark even before I charged it. I checked the petcock when I drained the tank, didn't see any problems there. I am going to replace the filter tomorrow as they are inexpensive and the pump is next on the list if that doesnt work. Is there an easy way to check the output? I figured I would pull the hose off after the pump and hit the starter and see what happens but I am open to suggestions as to how to better go about it...
I think your on the right track with the fuel pump. Its interesting that you had one bowl with fuel and the rest didn't. I don't know what the rate for the pump is. Have you tried spraying starter fluid into the carbs? Maybe that'll give the bike enough to start sucking the fuel from the carbs!

Old 03-12-2008, 09:43 AM
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

I removed my carbs last year because the bike was not running right...too much winter garage...they were full of a brownish sludge..I kept them together though and just split each one at a time to clean...then put them back and balanced them...straight forward but it took me a while...definitely need the longest screw driver you can buy...lol

Another thing I did was photograph all the induction hoses and ram air system that passes around them so I knew where everything went back...could end up with a load of hoses and scratching your head otherwise...good luck!

Jules

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Carb removal