CBR 600F3 1995 - 1998 CBR 600F3 Forum

Cam Chain Tensioner gone bad?

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2010, 08:34 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Arrow Cam Chain Tensioner gone bad?

Well I was riding around and kinda gunned it and heard a horrible chain grinding coming from the engine. I shut it off right then and took off the pulse cover to see if the chain broke or came off.. Didnt look like it so I just tapped the starter (didnt start the bike) to hear where exactly the sound was coming from. Sounded like top end so I went ahead and took the engine out and took the valve cover off. Timing is still ok but chain seems loose..? Could the CCT have just gone bad and is letting the chain slip? I can't really see any wear on the chain..especially because the engine ran for like 2 sec. Is there a way to look at the CCT and tell its bad? What are symptoms of the CCT going bad while riding?

Thanks!

Old 05-04-2010, 10:40 PM

It very well could have. Thee was a post on replacing it with an APE manual tensior for about 45.00

Old 05-05-2010, 12:54 AM
Official Welcome Crew Spicy Cat
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Speedemon636
Well I was riding around and kinda gunned it and heard a horrible chain grinding coming from the engine. I shut it off right then and took off the pulse cover to see if the chain broke or came off.. Didnt look like it so I just tapped the starter (didnt start the bike) to hear where exactly the sound was coming from. Sounded like top end so I went ahead and took the engine out and took the valve cover off. Timing is still ok but chain seems loose..? Could the CCT have just gone bad and is letting the chain slip? I can't really see any wear on the chain..especially because the engine ran for like 2 sec. Is there a way to look at the CCT and tell its bad? What are symptoms of the CCT going bad while riding?

Thanks!

Old 05-05-2010, 04:33 PM

The factory tensioner has little grooves in the tensioner rod. When chain gets some slack, the spring pushes the rod out further and spring loaded lil tips engage the grooves preventing the rod from loosening. Those tips can break making your tensioner loosen up. Do you chop the throttle closed after a high speed run? That'll put extra pressure on the tensioner. The suggestion for the APE tensioner is a good one. They won't back off and are pretty much bulletproof. I've had one in every motor I've ever built, just for peace of mind.

Old 05-05-2010, 11:52 PM
Arrow Same problem

MINE ON MY F3 WENT OUT AND ITS SIMPLE TO CHANGE 2 ALLEN BOLTS AND BAM....IF ITS GOOD IT SHOULD B FULL OF OIL AND MOVE UP AND DOWN FREELY WITH NO JAGGED FEELINGS I WOULD JUST REPLACE IT WITH THE MANUEL ONE INSTALL IT AND TIGHTING IT TILL THE CLATTER GOES AWAY THATS HOW I DID MINE AND 20000 MILES LATER STILL NO PROBLEMS

Old 05-06-2010, 11:58 PM

Hey thanks so much for the responses guys! So in short, I should be able to take the CCT off and squeeze it and if it doesn't budge, something is most likely broken?

Old 05-07-2010, 06:07 PM

I took a closer look at the CCT today and decided its time to replace it..here are the little pieces of the shim/lip that keeps it together

Here it is when I took it out of the engine

Does the next one look good to use for now until i get a manual one? Looks to be in good shape.. Thank God for my lucky box-o-parts!

Kinda pissed I didnt think and went ahead and took the engine off the bike Oh well..just makes my engine removal time/exp increase!:P

Old 05-07-2010, 08:38 PM

good pics man. can you post how got the part out? that other tensioner looks pretty good. If I were you I would baby the bike and if you run hard DONT chop the throttle shut. gradually close it. sounds weird but i got 24000 miles on mine with the original tenshioner.

Old 05-08-2010, 12:23 AM

Originally Posted by 96@cbr
can you post how got the part out?
Do you mean the tensioner or the little rod-like piece?

Old 05-08-2010, 12:25 AM

Originally Posted by Speedemon636
Do you mean the tensioner or the little rod-like piece?

the tesioner. everyone says its easy. i want to see mine

Quick Reply: Cam Chain Tensioner gone bad?