CBR 600F3 1995 - 1998 CBR 600F3 Forum

98 600SE Wont Start.

Old 06-21-2016, 09:21 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 98 600SE Wont Start.

Alright, So, I'm having an issue with my cbr. The bike was hard starting and would bog around at higher RPMS originally. I laid it down at like 115 and checked it a few days later and everything looked fine. It was Flooded out but we got it to start but It'd die if it wasn't above an idle, it rode back to my house fine. Tore the bike down, and decided to dunk the carbs. After a good cleaning I put the carbs back on and went to start it. I could only get it to start with the choke on, and it'd die from trying to turn off the choke. So I took the tank and top of the airbox off and ran a gas line. I could get it to start with the choke off and using my hand to control airflow. After putting the bike back together, I got it too start once and it'd die after 30 seconds. It wont start now any it'll try and catch everyonce in a while but that's it, the exhaust flow feels weak, I'm hoping some gunk just got stuck in the carbs again, but I'm not sure if theres anything else that'd cause this, any ideas?

Old 06-22-2016, 10:09 AM

It could be starving for fuel, especially since it had a hard time during higher RPMS.

I recently had an issue with my fuel line, it got "twisted" between the petcock and the filter. Even though I had rode it fine for 100 km, after a 30 min pause, it would start but drop in idle over time and eventually it didn't start at all (carbs empty). My guess was that the heat soften the tube, but it was still allowing fuel to pass. When it cooled down, it got stiffer, and the twist got worse.

But it also sounds like it could be the fuel pump.

Old 06-22-2016, 07:09 PM

Originally Posted by jishi
It could be starving for fuel, especially since it had a hard time during higher RPMS.

I recently had an issue with my fuel line, it got "twisted" between the petcock and the filter. Even though I had rode it fine for 100 km, after a 30 min pause, it would start but drop in idle over time and eventually it didn't start at all (carbs empty). My guess was that the heat soften the tube, but it was still allowing fuel to pass. When it cooled down, it got stiffer, and the twist got worse.

But it also sounds like it could be the fuel pump.
Ill have to check all that and the pump later today, the pump does a heavy buzz after a second or two when it won't start. I'm not sure if it's starving though cause I could try and start it once and pull carbs full of gas off it. Main reason I broke it down originally was I noticed I had gas all in the air filter from laying it down.

Old 07-02-2016, 05:37 PM

Update. Pulled the filter and fuel pump. Filter was clogged as all get out, pump was rusted beyond comprehension under the cap. I'm gonna pick up a new pump filter and lines and go from there.