CBR 600F3 1995 - 1998 CBR 600F3 Forum

95 CBR 600 Idle/Starting issues

Old 09-02-2011, 10:01 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 95 CBR 600 Idle/Starting issues

Recently bought a 95 CBR 600 that I got for a steal, so I couldn't pass it up. You would think that you would need some choke to get the bike started when the engine is cold, but the bike will only start with choke off. I have to try it a couple of times before the bike turns over. Once I feel it turn over I have to give it gas or else it will stall. When I give it gas, the RPM's spike up to 6 grand and if I let them drop it will stall. Once they spike up, I have to keep revving the engine like 6 or 7 times before it will come down to an idle around 1000 RPM's. The previous owner said he cleaned the carbs a while ago because it sat for a while. Also, on the left side of the bike, there is a tube that is just sitting there not attached to anything. I'll get a pic of it later today. Anyone know what can be done to get this bike running right? The bike will not move unless you are revving to 3g's while letting out the clutch. Once in gear, it will move.

Old 09-02-2011, 01:33 PM

Have adjusted your idle screw. Some of those tubes are just overflow or drainage.

Old 09-03-2011, 09:22 AM
Super Moderator
Received 496 Likes on 449 Posts

Starting and idling issues are almost always related to the carburetor. Many people will give it a once over and call that a cleaning. Starting to turn or twist some of the adjustment screws (idle screw exception) is just asking for trouble. The symptoms you're describing indicate that a good cleaning and proper adjustment is in order. There is some good info on the forum for doing it.

Old 09-05-2011, 11:37 AM

Thanks for the help guys, ill let you know how it turns out!

Old 09-05-2011, 01:51 PM

Mine did that, its not carb related. You need to have your valves adjusted. It drove me insane trying to figure out that problem. You have a valve sticking open and don't have good compression at start up. Trust me save yourself ALOT of heartache and have your valve's done

Your problem will keep getting worse and worse, then it won't start at all. I spent months fighting with a bike with same problem and alot of money. No valve rattle either, and bike ran fine once it got warmed up, it would also start fine once it was warmed up, but if it sat for a couple of hours you had to fight it to start it again.

Last edited by jveach; 09-05-2011 at 01:56 PM.
Old 09-05-2011, 09:21 PM

Mannnnn

I also ran into another problem. There is a slight knocking noise at idle. If I pull the clutch in, it goes away. If I let it sit in neutral, it comes back. Does the CCT need to be adjusted?

Old 09-06-2011, 02:41 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Who Dat Popcorn
Mannnnn

I also ran into another problem. There is a slight knocking noise at idle. If I pull the clutch in, it goes away. If I let it sit in neutral, it comes back. Does the CCT need to be adjusted?
Sounds like its just the clutch basket rattle. They all do that.

How old is the fuel? Unleaded has a short life & degrades really quickly, so if its been sitting for months then the stuff in it would be pretty far gone.
Normally, when you try to start an engine with the choke & it won't, but you can crank it over without it, then that usually indicates a Rich mixture. Not saying jveach is wrong, we all have had different issues with similar symptoms & unfortunately, you have to be methodical.
1st thing I would do is pull a plug (or 2) & see what kind of condition its in (colour of the electrode is a good indicator) Dark & sooty looking will indicate an over rich mix. Have a look at the condition of the Air filter, a dirty clogged filter is the culprit of many carb issues.
If these check out ok, then move onto the carbs & then the valves (as their the most expensive) Although a good bike shop will do it cheaper if you get both done at the same time. What you have not mentioned is how many miles/kays you have on the clock.

Old 09-06-2011, 05:28 AM

I only know what the owner told me. The bike sat for a while, so he opened up the carbs and apparently cleaned them. This fuel hasn't been sitting though. Bike has 16000 miles on it.

Old 09-06-2011, 02:07 PM

Here is a quick video I made to show you guys whats going on. The only reason the bike turned on so easily is cause it was already warmed up. Normally I have to rev it a few times to keep it alive.

http://s128.photobucket.com/albums/p...t=ef41b020.mp4

Old 09-06-2011, 05:13 PM
Super Moderator
Received 496 Likes on 449 Posts

Nice vid. It looks to me like the Choke lever is on. Is the lever pulled toward the rear of the bike, or pushed toward the front of the bike ? The engine sounds like the spark plug wires are connected wrong. Look closely at the wires. They have numbers on them. The cylinders are numbered from left to right as you're sitting on the bike, 1-4 with #1 on your left and $ on your right. Double check it closely.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 95 CBR 600 Idle/Starting issues