CBR 600F2 1991 - 1994 CBR 600F2

spark plug change

Old 08-18-2010, 11:51 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default spark plug change

Hi i have the 1994 CBR 600 and i want to know the easiest way to replace the plugs. thx in advance

Old 08-18-2010, 06:06 PM

get your girlfriend to help you Seriously though... I couldnt fit my hand in there to change the right sparkplug she had to help lol.

If you have the kit that came with your bike it is MUCH easier. They have a special spark plug tool in there that will help in extracting them.

First I took the access doors off, then pulled off the spark plug wires. Then you put the tool down in the hole and push down till its snug on the sparkplug (not hard). Then use a wrench to loosen it up. Pull it out. Put a new one in. Tighten with the tool and continue on.

the right door will only get you the rightmost plug. the left door is for the other 3.

Old 08-18-2010, 06:21 PM

I advise you purchase multiple universal joints for your ratchets to help enable you in reaching the spark plugs. It will make life easier!

Old 08-18-2010, 07:22 PM

Originally Posted by JesseAwesome
I advise you purchase multiple universal joints for your ratchets to help enable you in reaching the spark plugs. It will make life easier!
Absolutely agree unless you want to remove the radiator.

Old 08-18-2010, 07:33 PM

Originally Posted by compster
Absolutely agree unless you want to remove the radiator.

I just used the wrenches provided in the toolkit and didn't have to remove the radiator.

Old 08-19-2010, 02:49 AM

thx for the replys and advice. i have the haynes manual and it does say access through the side panels, but unless you have small hands this is a pain. I was thinking down the rad route for better access, just want to make sure i don,t cross thread.

Old 08-19-2010, 03:25 AM

i will try it like the book says with the supplied tool, and try not to get angry

Old 08-19-2010, 12:03 PM

Originally Posted by deadfred
I just used the wrenches provided in the toolkit and didn't have to remove the radiator.
Lucky you - you have the toolkit. I think one of the previous six owners of my '91 CBR may still have it.

It sure wasn't easy using the side access. I didn't remove the rad, but removing the rad isn't that difficult and it gives a lot easier access. I did remove the rad when I checked the valve clearances and it was clear to see that access to the spark plugs would be much easier.

What does the tool look like that is in the tool kit?

Old 08-19-2010, 01:10 PM

hi.had a go the book way, sod that. it will take forever. off with the rad. i can clean any debris that has got stuck up there at the same time. the tool with the kit is just a plug socket with a square bar sticking out the end to get a spanner on. tried with universal sockets too, still a pain, and i want to make sure i do not cross thread when i put the new ones in, so yep looks like the rad route

Old 08-21-2010, 07:07 PM

I am 6'1" and have big hands. I used a 1/4" ratchet and spark plug socket with the appropriate extension and adapter. Went through the side ports just like it says in the manual. Did that 3+ years ago 12,000 miles+ and it took me 45 minutes at the time. Used the NGK $10 Iridium plugs and it fires up quick every time.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: spark plug change