CBR 600F2 1991 - 1994 CBR 600F2

Operating Temp

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2005, 04:12 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Operating Temp

Hi there fellas. I'm new to the board, a first time owner, but not unknowledgeable. I have a question though that can't answered unless you've ridden ur bike in 40 degree weather and in 70 degree weather. Does the bike perform better when it's warmer outside? Not to say this bike's not fast as it is (1990 cbr600, yes it's an F1.. but NO ONE posts there.. so I at least wanted to talk to sumone But, the bike does still sorta hesitate. I'll bet I can answer my own question in stating that it's never quiet up to full operating temp. I'm ASSUMING that if the bike is 100% warmed up, it will run better.... safe assumption.???

Thanx for your input. Let me know how better it runs when it's warmer out (Iowa is currently only 35 degrees)

And FYI... I'm a day or two away from finishing my project of replacing second and sixth gear on the output shaft and the shift fork. When I bought the bike for 300 bux, it would pop outta second.. and I didn't want that.. so I'm on the road to fixing it myself! Almost done! Cya guys

Old 02-24-2005, 09:28 AM
Admin Emeritus & MVN
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Operating Temp

If your thermostat is doing it's job you should get up to "operating" temperature fairly quickly even if it's only 17F outside -- I know this because I ride in 17F occasionally. A properly tuned bike will run better, i.e. more horsepower in cold dense air. However you'll have a higher top end speed in hot dry air. Either way the bike should reach it's normal operating temp in 5 min or so of moderate riding. Hesitation off idle can be a number of things -- a good place to start is to sync the carbs. Good luck with that tranny -- those things can be a beeyatch to put back together[8D]

Old 02-25-2005, 08:35 PM

Well, see i'm a skeptic of motorcycles warming up in this weather. My friend has a new gsxR w/a digital read out temp gauge. The bike's normal operating temps are 248 to 254. So far, yet again today being 35 degrees, it only would reach 170 when riding!!!!! BIkes cool themselves off aparntly A LOT due to the air. And no bike will run perfectly wayyy below it's normal operating temp. So i'm just assuming our bikes are similar and don't warm up that well in this cold air.

FYI... I got the case resealed, the gears shift NICELY from doing test shifts w/the shift drum. I can try and post pics of the old and new 2nd gear shift dog. It's crazy the difference. I gotta just wait around now for another gasket, one nut, and a starter part. Hopefully next week she's running again!! And.. the tranny wasn't really that bad. How do you sync carbs anyway?.. they shouldn't hafta be synced if they've stayed together right? I was under the idea you sync em if you took them off eachother. It prob. does need some tuning, i've cleaned the crap outta em, but prob. just needs sum pro help too. CYA

Old 02-25-2005, 09:29 PM
Admin Emeritus & MVN
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I know of no vehicle that regularly operates at 248 to 254 F -- that's just nuts. Even in the hottest weather mine only reaches 185F while riding. In stop and go traffic when it's hot it'll go up to around 210F and the fan kicks on til it goes down to 190ish. Even when it's below 20F mine always gets up to 175F while on the interstate doing 85mph.

As far as syncing the carbs -- you should re-sync especially if they come apart but it's also a scheduled maintenance item. I usually check mine every 5K miles (even on fuel injected you need to make sure they're sync'd). Just find a set of guages and a shop manual -- easy procedure but would take forever to splain. And personally, I prefer the dial gauges over the mercury tubes -- just one drop and you gots mercury BB's everywhere.

Old 02-27-2005, 12:31 PM

I started my 900rr today warmed it up and rode no hes (36 deg)

one thought are you running stock jets or a jet kit? i would not think that running stock jets would lean it out in cold weather but it is a thought.