CBR 600F2 1991 - 1994 CBR 600F2

overheating...ALMOST

Old 04-19-2011, 03:14 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default overheating...ALMOST

So im pretty sure my radiator fan isnt working, but i cant say I'm positive. I havent ripped the front end apart enough to look. When riding at lower speeds around town, she gets a lot warmer but not quite into the red zone. Also on hotter days it usually gets a little hotter then its usual amount. I'm guessing the wind cools the radiator down... Is this a logical assumption? ALSO I went down two weeks ago and my radiator is leaking a little coolant but i cant tell where from exactly would it be worth it to just drop about 115 bucks for a used 18k mile radiator and fan i found on CL?

Old 04-19-2011, 05:43 AM

You need to look on eBay for the radiator. I have seen them much cheaper. Also, find the source of the leak. See if you can get some of that dye and use a black-light to find the source.

My fan turns on at about 3/4 of the way between the two marks on the gauges and turns off at just under half. You will know that it is running because you will hear it running and if you place your hand at the side body work vents while the bike is sitting, you will feel air moving. The fan is fused, so check that first. Then make sure that there isn't any obstructions to the fan that would keep it from turning.

If you do need a new radiator, be sure the radiator and fan both have the exact same mounting as your old one. I thought I needed a new fan a few years back and when I ordered one from a 93 for my 92, I found the fans mounted differently. By some chance of miracly, my fan has worked perfect since.

Old 04-19-2011, 10:20 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Pull the right side lower fairing, and locate the thermo-sensor on the bottom portion of the radiator. Pull the plug off that sensor and ground the wire to the chassis with the ignition key in the On position. This should kick the fan on, and let you know if it runs or not. If not - you have a fan or wiring issue, if it does run, then you prolly have a thermo-sensor issue.

On your overheating - sounds like you need to go through everything. I'd drain it, pull the radiator and have a radiator shop pressure test it. Good time to replace old hoses, check the thermostat operation, and make sure you're not leaking fluid @ the waterpump housing.

Old 04-19-2011, 07:13 PM

Originally Posted by MikeInCtown
You need to look on eBay for the radiator. I have seen them much cheaper. Also, find the source of the leak. See if you can get some of that dye and use a black-light to find the source.

My fan turns on at about 3/4 of the way between the two marks on the gauges and turns off at just under half. You will know that it is running because you will hear it running and if you place your hand at the side body work vents while the bike is sitting, you will feel air moving. The fan is fused, so check that first. Then make sure that there isn't any obstructions to the fan that would keep it from turning.

If you do need a new radiator, be sure the radiator and fan both have the exact same mounting as your old one. I thought I needed a new fan a few years back and when I ordered one from a 93 for my 92, I found the fans mounted differently. By some chance of miracly, my fan has worked perfect since.
I found the source of the leak this morning. The top right on the side of the radiator is dented from my crash and its leaking near the bottom on the side. Think i'll probably need a new one i have a 94 but have found fans from a 92...? Thats dumb they would change the mounting of it throughout the same generation... And Adrenalnjunkie thanks i will try that when i get home... Will probably just check everything out when i put the new radiator in.

BTW, i found a complete set of black matte aftermarket fairings at a bike yard for 300 bucks i'm gonna get next week!

Old 04-20-2011, 03:30 AM

Originally Posted by adrenalnjunky
Pull the right side lower fairing, and locate the thermo-sensor on the bottom portion of the radiator. Pull the plug off that sensor and ground the wire to the chassis with the ignition key in the On position. This should kick the fan on, and let you know if it runs or not. If not - you have a fan or wiring issue, if it does run, then you prolly have a thermo-sensor issue.

On your overheating - sounds like you need to go through everything. I'd drain it, pull the radiator and have a radiator shop pressure test it. Good time to replace old hoses, check the thermostat operation, and make sure you're not leaking fluid @ the waterpump housing.
+1.

When I first got my bike, the radiator fan wouldn't turn on. When I grounded the coolant temperature sensor, it still wouldn't turn on. I found a ground wire hanging behind the radiator, just above the fan. The fan worked after I bolted it near the fan.

Old 04-20-2011, 07:06 PM

just ordered a new radiator and fan off of ebay anyways