CBR 600F2 1991 - 1994 CBR 600F2

Need info on petcock rebuild!!!!

Old 03-02-2008, 08:42 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need info on petcock rebuild!!!!

Hello all,
I'm really frustrated here. I've searched everything I can find on the forum and I can not find any info on where to find apetcock rebuild kit for the F2. I've checked E-bay, old bike barn and JC Whitney, amoung others. I've seen them mentioned a couple times here on the forum but I can't find one for sale to save my life (or in this case, make my frankenstein monster live). Here's the issue. The bike ran fine, I removed the tank to check the air filter (and other stuff) and fuel started leaking out of the petcock. With the switch in the off position it leaks with a steady drip and in the on and prime positions it gushes. I thought that a vacuum petcock was not supposed to flow at all with out vacuum. I have not removed the petcock yet. I was going to purchase the kit first. Sombody,,,, Anybody,,,, HELP!!!!

Old 03-02-2008, 12:42 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default RE: Need info on petcock rebuild!!!!

Dont worry, you're not crazy and you haven't failed at the internet...

You cant find one because...

dun dun dun! They dont make one.

Gotta get a new petcock, get one from a wrecker.

I'd call honda to see if you can use one from a different bike to widen your search options.

Old 03-02-2008, 12:45 PM

Before you run out and buy one though, take yours apart.

Mine had the same issue, it turned out that the diaphram inside the petcock had become seperated from its mate part. The diaphram has a rubber nipple on it that pops into a hole on a plastic disk.

When these guys seperate all hell breaks loose inside there.

Check to see that the diaphram isn't torn either.

Old 03-03-2008, 06:28 AM

OK, I've had it apart. The only thing that seemed wrong was the diaphram wasn't quite seated all the way around the lip of the diaphram pot. I removed all the little parts,figured out how it'sSUPPOSED to work made sure everything was where its meant to be, reassembled and Voila,,,,,,,,NO CHANGE! The problem is NOT with the diaphram on this one. It's actually with the valve. No matter what setting it's on it allows fuel to flow. Full gush on prime (of course), steady drip on the middle setting (reserve?) and full gush again on the on position (switch pointing up toward the tank)
I've found some affordable petcocks from F3 models that don't have the vacuum ignorance. Does anybody know if the connection, where it inserts into the tank is the same size. I was assuming that with all of the similarities between the two models they would. But with my luck I'd buy one without checking and then it wouldn't. I'm going to be perusing the forum to try to find an answer.So far though, thanks for the replies. You guys (and gals) are OK, I don't care what the Harley riders say!!!

Old 03-03-2008, 07:53 AM

Alrighty then!,
I've decided to post my findings and let the rest of the members make comments in the hopes that that when the next Noob is looking for answers he/she doesn't have to look through 19 threads to find it.
#1. The F2 and F3 petcocks have the same size connection to the tank and comparable reserves.
#2. Even though some folks say that the F3 petcock needs a fuel pump, I can find NO external difference in the F3 and F2 (non-Vac) petcocks.
#3. Very few, if any, storesor websitessell the non-vac F2 petcock anymore, preferring to screw F2 owners for $140 plus.
#4. The used F3 petcocks for sale out there are in far better looking condition than comparable F2 (non-vac) units. After all they ARE newer as a general rule.

My conclusion; I am going to purchase either a new or used F3 petcock andtry it on my bike. If it won't flow without a fuel pump, I'll install a 1.5-4 PSI purolator electronic fuel pump in-line and run it like that. I can get a used F3 unit AND the pump for about $20 VS the $180 (shipped) that the F2 vacuum unit will cost. This is a budjet build-up and I'm not going to throw more into a fuel valve than a typical front tire.
OK, Y'all can beat me up now, but know this. I may be new to sport bikes in general and CBR600s in specific, but I've been ridin' and wrenchin' for almost 30 years and 95% of what gets done to my bikes gets done by me. So I'm not totally inexperienced.
G'day!

Old 03-03-2008, 10:18 AM

Sounds like you're making the best of the situation. I think I've heard of some people using the F3 petcock without a fuel pump and having no problems, except for when the tank is particularly low on gas. You'll probably be able to give a more definitive answer to that one soon enough though.

Old 03-03-2008, 07:53 PM

I dont know if your F3 petcock will work, there would be some woe's I would worry about but I'll leave it to you to sort them out.

But I'll let you know that the petcock valve positions are as follows:

Down = ON
Horizontal = OFF
Up = RESERVE

Old 03-03-2008, 10:22 PM

let us know how it turns out, id be interested to know for sure if the f3 petcock would work, i always assumed since the f3 have a pump, a pump would be needed

Old 03-04-2008, 08:56 PM

Thanks for the info on the valve positions Hershey. Makes sense, since mine was gushing in the up and down position and just trickling on the sideways (off) position. I'll definately let everybody know how this works out.

Old 03-27-2008, 12:40 PM

Any news on the f3 petcock...I have to replace mine asap

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Need info on petcock rebuild!!!!