CBR 600F2 1991 - 1994 CBR 600F2

My 91 CBR600 F2 Project

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2013, 05:46 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default My 91 CBR600 F2 Project

Figured i would start a journal for my 91 F2 with 28,xxx on the clock.
Here is how she started the day i picked her up back in April this year.

Name:  36a60ee9-373a-489e-be52-1561685947f7.jpg
Views: 393
Size:  265.2 KB
Name:  3df0f52d-628f-4124-b8ac-5e4ad5845299.jpg
Views: 540
Size:  232.2 KB

The whole bike was badly rattle canned, didn't run and at first i hated the way the rear was mounted, but honestly its growing on me the more i look at it.

Here are the Parts ive Replaced as they were in the Whats the hell happened or what were they thinking stage.

Main wiring harness was a cut,spliced and hacked mess- Replaced
R/R was burned and melting - Replaced with GSXR one
Starter Solenoid was shorted and burned- Replaced with a new one
Homemade petcock - Replaced with F3 petcock
Front brake switch broken- replaced
Radiator Leaking- Replaced
Right hand control corroded- replaced
Ignition switch corroded-replaced
Plug wires corroded-replaced
Installed Horn, was missing
Grips were worn - Replaced
Brake handle was broken off - replaced both with shiny red ones

Also found out why the engine would crank and backfire but not start.
The ignition coil feed wires were crossed
This is how they should be
Name:  9aa8c1dd-f105-44ad-86d5-ffafd9e39a39.jpg
Views: 525
Size:  142.8 KB
Im sure im forgetting some things but she runs and sounds good,except the low end sputtering.
Carbs came off today and were spotless clean. I did find that the pilot screws were not set right. Put them at 2 1/2 turns and the bike started and revs nicely now. No more sputtering down low.

Here is that homemade petcock for your amusement
Name:  4b67dcf0-2059-4b58-b85c-4ba4ea6895f8.jpg
Views: 340
Size:  122.4 KB

Also just found today that the radiator overflow tubes are backwards also. Radiator to top of the bottle and drain at the bottom. I will need to get some new hose to replace those and make them right.

And here is how she sits as of today all naked until i can get the fairings cleaned up and repainted.
Name:  aa9f57f8-b970-427d-ac67-f8f82c7373d2.jpg
Views: 317
Size:  157.3 KB
Name:  5bd7c7da-3b4a-486f-8323-52f2930a7eaa.jpg
Views: 378
Size:  162.9 KB

Old 06-18-2013, 10:13 PM

Finally got a chance to work on the bike today. Was only 104 degrees today,LOL

Got the radiator overflow hoses sorted out and coolant topped off.
Mounted the idle adjustment screw where it should be.
Cleaned up some of the wiring for the gauges, one was bare and touched the frame and blew the 15amp fuse.
Mounted the R/R on the plate where it should be.
Installed the Visu stubby inline fuel filter,since I don't have the screen on the petcock.

Took her for about a good 20 minute spin around our apt complex and the temp gauge stayed below the half way mark. 50/50 coolant and royal purple's purple ice seems to be keeping the temps down.

Did notice a slight drip from the Alternator cover and left side radiator hose. Guess those will be added to the to do list.

Felt good to run through the gears and finally get a decent amount of seat time.

Old 06-19-2013, 06:10 PM
July 2013 ROTM

nice job so far...what are your plains or the body work? keeping the F4 or going back to F2??

Old 06-19-2013, 08:53 PM
Welcome Crew and ROTY 2014
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 91-CBR600-F2
Finally got a chance to work on the bike today. Was only 104 degrees today,LOL
104, ouch! We will get to that, but thankfully, spring has been more "normal" here this year, it's only been 100 a couple of times, whereas last year, it was a thick, humid 105 from mid-june all the way through August, with a few exceptions.

Did notice a slight drip from the Alternator cover and left side radiator hose. Guess those will be added to the to do list.
If you're leaking oil from the stator cover, you may just need a gasket, or it could only be that the last owner didn't have them torqued correctly, but if your cover is cracked, I do have one for sale that I polished, it looks pretty sweet, and if you did need that, I could sell you the hose you need, unless it's just a clamp, and ship them together... I'm parting out an F2 right now, so I've got a lot of stuff available and pulling more all the time.

Anyway, good luck with it... anxious to see your progress.

Old 06-20-2013, 01:24 AM

Originally Posted by squale147
nice job so far...what are your plains or the body work? keeping the F4 or going back to F2??
Thanks
I'll keep the F4 bodywork as its a bit more updated for my taste. Love the older F2 style also.

Originally Posted by JNSRacing
104, ouch! We will get to that, but thankfully, spring has been more "normal" here this year, it's only been 100 a couple of times, whereas last year, it was a thick, humid 105 from mid-june all the way through August, with a few exceptions.

If you're leaking oil from the stator cover, you may just need a gasket, or it could only be that the last owner didn't have them torqued correctly, but if your cover is cracked, I do have one for sale that I polished, it looks pretty sweet, and if you did need that, I could sell you the hose you need, unless it's just a clamp, and ship them together... I'm parting out an F2 right now, so I've got a lot of stuff available and pulling more all the time.

Anyway, good luck with it... anxious to see your progress.
I did check to make sure the bolts were torqued properly and they are but looks like the gasket it starting to poke out a bit. I'll do the gasket first and go from there. Also on the hose,I'm going to double clamp it and see if the seeping will stop.

Pm me a package deal just in case. Do you have a polished clutch cover by chance also?
I did pm you over on cbrextreme about the left side hand controls.

Ill take out 100+ degree dry heat over that humidity heat any day. Humidity makes it so much worse.

Old 06-20-2013, 08:10 AM
Welcome Crew and ROTY 2014
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I did check to make sure the bolts were torqued properly and they are but looks like the gasket it starting to poke out a bit. I'll do the gasket first and go from there. Also on the hose,I'm going to double clamp it and see if the seeping will stop.
For sure, gasket is only 6 to 8 bucks, hopefully that's all it is.

Pm me a package deal just in case. Do you have a polished clutch cover by chance also?
I did pm you over on cbrextreme about the left side hand controls.
Oh yeah, hi Scott, I guess I could have put things together with the same username, and I knew 890XX was a Nevada zip!
On the clutch cover, not yet, but I will be pulling it and the pulse generator cover, and stripping and polishing both, in the near future.
Speaking of the left hand controls, they are packed and ready, and I have not yet gotten a response from the member originally expressing interest, so you might end up with them, if you need them.

Ill take out 100+ degree dry heat over that humidity heat any day. Humidity makes it so much worse.
Agreed... anything over 90 with really high humidity, and it just feels so much worse!!

Old 07-06-2013, 09:03 AM

Just a small update

Got the Stator cover gasket replaced. Another thing from the previous owner. He had changed the stator but not the gasket.It was broke in three pieces and overtightened/ squishing out at the bottom.

Racers Edge here in Vegas actually cuts gaskets while you wait. I picked one up , did the tilt the bike method as to not lose or have to drain the oil and replaced the gasket with a real thin layer of Black RTV. Ran it for a bit and no more drip.

Also double clamped the lower radiator hose and that seemed to stop the seeping for now.

Now on the to-do list

Fork seals
Fix newly flat tires
Wire up the integrated taillight
Reinstall fairing and possibly paint them
Go to DMV to do registration so i can actually ride it on the streets

Old 07-07-2013, 12:24 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looking good I personally like how it looks as is.

Old 07-07-2013, 04:07 AM

Originally Posted by psalas3
Looking good I personally like how it looks as is.
I can see how people go with the Fighter look as once you take all the fairings off its a sweet looking bike all naked like that.

Old 07-11-2013, 09:08 PM
July 2013 ROTM

I can see how people go with the Fighter look as once you take all the fairings off its a sweet looking bike all naked like that.
i agree...

Quick Reply: My 91 CBR600 F2 Project