CBR 600F2 1991 - 1994 CBR 600F2

93 Honda CBR 600 F2 wont start?

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2004, 04:09 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 93 Honda CBR 600 F2 wont start?

Hello, im new here. I bought a 93 CBR 600 F2 about 2 weeks ago and cant get it running. The guy I bought it from said the floats were sticking in the carbs. I tore the carbs aprt and cleaned every piece in the thing. I also checked the tank pet ****, spark plugs, coils, wires. The only way the bike will start is if I take the gas tank off and the air box and dump a little bit of fuel directly in the carbs, and then it will fire for about 30 seconds and then shut off. The bike was sitting outside in the ran and snow for I dont know how long! I only paid $400 for bike. The carbs are getting fuel from the tank, but I smell alot of gas. Any help????? Suggestions????? The next stop for this bike is the shop if I cant fix it my self.... E-Mail me any answers or just post one........ Thanks.

Old 12-06-2004, 09:30 AM
Default RE: 93 Honda CBR 600 F2 wont start?

Replace the spark plugs. More then likely they are fouled out. Also try and pick up a factory service manual. They have a good troubleshooting guide. I would try the plugs first off though.

Old 12-06-2004, 11:56 AM
Admin Emeritus & MVN
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have a bad feeling that considering how the former owners cared for it, you may be doing a lot of maintenance. So ditto on the service manual. As far as your current issue, I'd say that you still have gunk in a carb. Possibly a stuck float. If you pour gas straight into the carb then what's happening is the gas bypasses the float and needles and goes directly into the intake. Once this burns off then the bike dies because it's starved for gas at the intake.

Good luck -- if you can get it purring again then you got a sweet deal dude!

Old 12-06-2004, 07:47 PM

I already replace the spark plugs 3 times in two weeks. This bike is really making me mad. Does anybody think it could be the rectifier regulator? This guy said that was what it was in another forum. I have never heard of it, but it could be. HELP.......

Old 12-06-2004, 08:09 PM

When you replaced the plugs how did they look? Were they fouled out each time?

Old 12-06-2004, 08:36 PM

you may want to check your oil the flots stick open it will dumb gas in the the oil.

Old 12-06-2004, 08:50 PM
Admin Emeritus & MVN

ORIGINAL: BigD

I already replace the spark plugs 3 times in two weeks. This bike is really making me mad. Does anybody think it could be the rectifier regulator? This guy said that was what it was in another forum. I have never heard of it, but it could be. HELP.......
I don't think so. If it fires up when you pour gas in the carb and then dies then you probably have a carb issue. So your plugs are fouling really bad ... too much gas (carb problem) or oil rings could be shot. What do the new plugs look like when it fires up after giving it some gas manually? If they are sooty then it's just too rich from dumping gas in the intake. If they're oily then ya gotta start thinking rings. Rectifier is probably ok if it fires up at any point. If that's bad then you'll get no spark at all.

Old 12-07-2004, 12:27 AM

Thanks for the suggestions! When I pulled the plugs out of the engine, only two were very gummed up. I cleaned them and put them back in and it still didn't start. Pulled them back out and they were not very fouled at all. I just pulled the harness off the voltage rectifier and the one plug in the harness was burnt, like it had shorted out. Think thats the problem? How do I check the rectifier to see if it is burned up? I looked up the rectifier on e-bay to see if they had one, they did, the rectifier was $110. I also noticed that the spark was not very strong on any of the cylinders. Thanks again for all the help. Things are starting to turn around for this bike.

Old 12-07-2004, 08:31 PM
Admin Emeritus & MVN

I don't know -- you'd always hope that a fuse would blow before the wires or connectors. Will the bike still fire if you shoot a little gas in the carbs? If so, for that 10 secs, does it sound like it's missing?

Old 12-20-2004, 01:05 AM

you can find a repair manual on eBAY !!!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...spagename=WDVW

2 days left and the starting bid is 1 buck !!
This will help you with whatever you need. I bought one for my F4.. [sm=smiley33.gif]

Quick Reply: 93 Honda CBR 600 F2 wont start?