CBR 600F2 1991 - 1994 CBR 600F2

'93 F2 Multiple Projects 4 days

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2011, 11:23 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '93 F2 Multiple Projects 4 days

So after a couple years of lingering, reading, sourcing info... I have decided to change my bike up a bit. I have acquired all the parts needed (I hope) and am very eager to start.
This is a set of a few different projects rolled into one 4 day wrench-fest.

Project 1: Change out all California emissions parts to 49 state parts.
Includes:
Change of: carbs, head, cams and CDI
Remove: evap can, control valve, lots of hoses

Project 2: Wheel swap
Includes:
Change of: swing arm (f2->f3), wheel (f2->900rr)

Project 3: Clean/Paint Frame and fairings (colors to be determined) any suggestions will be taken into consideration.

Project 4: Carb cleaning, Jet kit install, full exhaust install.

Project 5: Seat quick release

If anyone has knowledge or experience of any of these projects help/warnings are always appreciated.

PICS of stages to come (hopefully updated every 6 hours, but every 12 hours more likely)

Last edited by madhaxor_3; 08-23-2011 at 11:47 PM.
Old 08-24-2011, 04:00 AM
Default update

So 4.5 hours and 2 Long Islands later have yielded lower than expected progress. The good news is I have pics of the amazingly slow process. The bad news is I'm sure everyone with an F2 or F3 has taken their bike down to a level near this and these pics will be less than boring to most. Oh well have a gander at the mess and be glad you were smarter than me.
Started like this...

Attached Thumbnails '93 F2 Multiple Projects 4 days-rsz_1dsc00602.jpg   '93 F2 Multiple Projects 4 days-rsz_2dsc00603.jpg   '93 F2 Multiple Projects 4 days-rsz_dsc00604.jpg   '93 F2 Multiple Projects 4 days-rsz_1dsc00606.jpg  
Old 08-24-2011, 04:11 AM

Projects started:

Project 1: New CDI attached, head and cams being soaked and preped.

Project 2: Sprocket attached to carrier, carrier and axel placed in wheel for mock up when tire is here tomorrow morning

Project 3: Nothing started, and disapointingly no suggestions to consider

Project 4: Carbs cleaned and ready for Factory Pro jet kit install, carb pieces being soaked overnight to insure perfect operation

Project 5: Springs and retainers ready for 90* rod pick-up tomorrow(if not ready I will get the hex wrenches)

Now looks like this (all of these are from one side to show the progress or lack there of)...

Attached Thumbnails '93 F2 Multiple Projects 4 days-dsc00994.jpg   '93 F2 Multiple Projects 4 days-dsc00996.jpg   '93 F2 Multiple Projects 4 days-dsc00999.jpg   '93 F2 Multiple Projects 4 days-dsc01007.jpg  
Old 08-24-2011, 05:21 AM

i have a 94 f2 i'm wanting to start some projects on it (it's gonna be cold in kansas soon) i'm pretty sure the guy who i bought it from jetted it but i'm not for sure is there any way to actually tell? i'm just gonna do the stuff that needs to be done right now as my project like changing the sprockets and chain i want to do more but i honestly dont know what i could do so i'm going to keep up with your thread and get some ideas and if i can think of anything that sounds like it could be adventurous i'll throw it by you if thats cool with you

Old 08-24-2011, 04:06 PM

Project ideas are always welcome. If you're not sure on the carb jetting you have to take them apart. Here is a link to the best step by step instructions on how to do that (lots of pics):

https://cbrforum.com/forum/f2-tech-9...g-101-a-96888/

near the bottom of the first page is where it talks about needles and clip positions. The needles are the best way to tell.

If after looking at the needles you're still not sure send me a pic (the closer and clearer the better) and I'll let you know, but it should be fairly easy to tell. When I get to mine in the project list I will take some pics too. Then you can have a side by side comparison.

Old 08-24-2011, 04:12 PM

Update on project, parts are in and I'm running to the store to pick them up. A slight delay may occur on the 900rr wheel due to lack of tire, the tire I was supposed to get from a friend vanished into thin air from his garage...? We saw it there a couple days ago and now poof its gone. Not sure if someone thought it was good, but that thing was terribly flat spotted and had about 5% tread on on the edges only (wire starting to show down center). I hope whoever took it gets great use from it. Anyways, time to source a new tire...

Next update with pics after tire is found.

Old 08-24-2011, 04:59 PM

my moms boyfriend decided he wanted to help me with my project so i guess instead of buying an already painted set of fairings i'm gonna buy the unpainted and we're gonna paint them have you had any ideas for color yet? i was thinking maybe black for a base and a bright a$$ blue design of some kind still up in the air

Old 08-24-2011, 06:46 PM

Ok 2 things about getting help: 1) Use it when you want it, cause it doesn't sound like you're too enthusiastic about getting help right now. 2) Be careful when choosing help. A person that claims to be a mechanic/painter/electrician might only know the basics and they can walk away when things go wrong. Where as you are stuck with another problem and more than likely a huge bill for parts and service. Point being, paint isn't that hard, but when you choose the wrong kind or something you don't like it can be a pain to remove the mistake. The wrong type of paint will gum up when sanded, so choose wisely and test when in doubt. Also do some research on humidity/temperature/dry times before you start. There may be a thread somewhere around here about how to paint, maybe search for it.

Next step: tear into the engine, mount the tire I got at the shop, and take carb parts out of soak.

Old 08-24-2011, 08:05 PM

Update:
first issue, very minor but anyone wanting to change out a head that owns a cali edition will run into it. The right side front engine hanger bolt is almost completely covered by the emissions garbage. See pics for visual explanation. The easiest way for me to remove it was an offset box wrench. I had to maneuver it into place and it still only just barely grabbed the edge of the nut but got the job done.

For those that do have the California emission parts, this should end up being decent documentation for how to remove and replace the parts. I know there is little for a full and complete write-up on it, so if you have any suggestions on what needs to be in the write up let me know and I can add it.

Attached Thumbnails '93 F2 Multiple Projects 4 days-dsc01024.jpg   '93 F2 Multiple Projects 4 days-dsc01025.jpg   '93 F2 Multiple Projects 4 days-dsc01026.jpg   '93 F2 Multiple Projects 4 days-dsc01027.jpg   '93 F2 Multiple Projects 4 days-dsc01028.jpg  

Last edited by madhaxor_3; 08-24-2011 at 08:36 PM. Reason: added type of tool to remove bolt
Old 08-25-2011, 04:08 AM

28 hours in and:
Project 1: The engine, cams, and emissions garbage are out. Next up is swapping the new head and cams.

Project 2: Tire will be mounted tomorrow

Project 3: Cleaning starts tomorrow. I have got one suggestion, but am not sure how detailed I actually want to get??? Maybe I'll get a sketch up to see if anyone really likes it.

Project 4: Carbs are clean, jet kit installed (will take out one set to show a comparison of OEM and Factory Pro kit needles)

Project 5: All parts acquired, but this will be one of the last things done as the engine and wheel have the highest priority.

Most of the pics are of the emissions stuff. Don't worry California bike owners, I have plenty more pics for the write up to remove the whole emission stuff.

Attached Thumbnails '93 F2 Multiple Projects 4 days-dsc01033.jpg   '93 F2 Multiple Projects 4 days-dsc01043.jpg   '93 F2 Multiple Projects 4 days-dsc01046.jpg   '93 F2 Multiple Projects 4 days-dsc01050.jpg   '93 F2 Multiple Projects 4 days-dsc01056.jpg  

Quick Reply: '93 F2 Multiple Projects 4 days