CBR 600F 1987 - 1990 CBR 600F Forum

Winter projects

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2014, 08:41 PM
June 2013 ROTM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

+1 on the 2K. Shot my tank with it last summer after I ruined the paint with fuel on the rattle can clear. Could stop a bullet I think.

Old 12-16-2014, 03:14 PM
June 2013 ROTM

Ordered coils and a harness from an 04 cbr1000rr today. Looking forward to that mod! I've had problems with my 2/3 coil later in the season.

Old 12-16-2014, 04:06 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Keep us posted...interested in how it works out.

Old 12-16-2014, 04:18 PM
June 2013 ROTM

Originally Posted by dennisgb
Keep us posted...interested in how it works out.
Will do. I doubt it will be much different to the how to that SB posted, but I'll document it and post it if it is at all different

Old 12-23-2014, 06:13 PM
June 2013 ROTM

So I received the coils today. This might not go quite at planned. The problem is the length of the coil. The stock plug cap with plug is overall about 6.5" in length. The 1000rr coil plus plug length is about 7.5". That's a problem for the #3 cylinder due to the rad fan.

EDIT: So it turns out there are 2 different lengths of these Denso coils. Like a total git I ordered the longer ones without checking this. I went to our local bike wrecker where they had an 02 gsxr 600 engine sitting there had the correct coils, but he wanted $100 for the 4 (serves me right for shopping local). I even offered to trade the wrong ones I had plus cash and he told me to pound sand. Got a set or $5 a piece on ebay, so now we wait

In the meantime, I received the shift kit so that will be going in Monday.

Last edited by CorruptFile; 12-27-2014 at 04:37 PM.
Old 01-10-2015, 04:23 PM
June 2013 ROTM

Coils are in. Started right up and seems to run great.

Now that the coils are gone, I figured I would do another little mod. I am only too familiar with Honda's terrible r/r location. I saw another user mount a fan on the r/r to cool it. Those coil mounts seemed like a good spot. Traced out the mount on a peice of paper and scanned it in and modeled it out in solidworks. Fortunately we have a waterjet at work so I just cut it out some some 1/8" 6061. Mounted an 80mm PC fan on and wired it to the license light circuit. Really easy and hopefully it will help keep the r/r cool.

Name:  trgA7Rc.jpg
Views: 9
Size:  223.4 KB

Name:  Diaulut.jpg
Views: 9
Size:  102.0 KB

Easy peasy.

If anyone wants the dxf, I can send it. I'm sure there are machine shops around that can jet/laser it out for not too much coin.

Old 01-10-2015, 08:23 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

FWIW I put a Yamaha R1 MOSFET R/R on my bike. So far it's working great.

Old 01-10-2015, 09:24 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I just noticed that you guys were talking about the 2K clear in this thread.

The spray can stuff is awesome but spendy for the little bit you get. I think it's because of the epoxy pod in there that you break when you mix it. It takes up some of the space and thus less paint.

I usually spray Dupont from the gun, but for small jobs and if you don't have the equipment you can't beat the rattle can 2K.

The stuff goes on like professional paint with the adjustable spray nozzle and dries hard as a rock. It is easy to color sand and polish out to a mirror finish and looks great.

Protects against solvents, gas, oil, pretty much everything.

One of the best inventions in hobby painting in the past 50 years.

Old 01-19-2015, 09:38 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Made an interesting discovery that seems to fit under the winter projects category. I had been finding a few drips of what seemed to be coolant under the bike when I would go out to my creaky old garage. The drips seemed to emanate from the water pump hose connection. The curious thing was that the bike would not leak at all when I ran it. I thought maybe the hose was expanding and closing up the leak when it got warm. I tried refitting the hose a couple times and started looking for a replacement (new ones are non-existent!)

This went on for a while, until one cold morning when I came out to the garage after a particularly heavy rain. The whole bike was covered with heavy condensation. Guess where it all ended up when it trickled down from the upper parts of the bike...yup, it dripped off right where the coolant hose connects to the water pump. Case closed.

Old 01-20-2015, 09:25 AM
June 2013 ROTM

It's great when a problem solves itself. Unfortunately I have an oil leak from the clutch cover. Gotta pump the oil out and re-remove the side cover to see whats up. Brand new gasket and both surfaces were clean so not sure what caused that.

Quick Reply: Winter projects