CBR 600F 1987 - 1990 CBR 600F Forum

Tire sizes

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2014, 08:11 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dennisgb
It basically is about the amount of force applied to the frame and suspension due to adding more tire contact surface or due to softer rubber compounds which grip more. While it seems like more tire would be better, that assumes that the bike is designed to take the increased forces. I know with my Norton this is a big issue because the frame has a tendency to flex even with the standard tire sizes.

This is much more complicated than most of us understand. The original F1 design was based on the available tires and was tested extensively during the design phase to insure that the component designs were sound. If you read about the development history Honda was very conservative and took 2 years to develop the Hurricane even with strong competition from other manufacturers. They were pushing the limits of the technology.

The biggest issue we owners face now is the very limited selection of tires because of the evolution of the bikes. Rubber compounds have improved considerably and that alone results in extra stress on the frame and suspension even when using OEM sizing. Adding additional width and subsequent tire contact area just increases the stress to the bike.

It would be interesting to do a study on F1's with frame cracks (a common failure) and see what tires were on the bikes during their lifetime. It could be related.

The main point that I am trying to make is that increasing tire width in order to get a more modern look is not a good idea without looking at frame, swing arm, wheel and suspension modifications in order to insure the integrity of the bike, not to mention the profile issues with putting wider tires on the wrong wheel width.

In my opinion the 110 front tire is the best choice with the existing front forks and suspension. A wider tire up front will change the handling and slow down response. Fork tube flex may also come in to play due to the increased contact area imparting higher forces particularly during braking. There really isn't much structure holding the fork tubes from rotating or twisting not to mention bending in severe cases. The yokes also will have increased stress and given that original the design and development was controlled by minimizing weight it would be interesting to know what safety factor was used in the design of these components.

I think that anything wider than 140 on the rear using the stock wheel will change the profile enough to create handling problems and stress the tires in a way they were not designed for. The additional contact surface even with a 140 tire along with the softer rubber compounds in most newer tires could impart additional stress to the frame and suspension so that should be considered and I would keep an eye on the frame in the areas known to crack.

I realize there are a lot of owners who have wider tires on their bikes and believe they handle fine. I'm not saying you can't do it, just be aware that you may be pushing the limits and there could be issues.
So with your insight on the issue you men that i made a big mistake buying Pilot Street Radial Front 110/70 and Pilot Street Radial Rear 140/70 R17. I am not picking a fight, only asking your opinion sins i care more about the functionality of the bike than the looks. Like i have mentioned earlier i like to ride hard.

Old 03-07-2014, 08:31 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Emmanuel Lind Chrisalos
So with your insight on the issue you men that i made a big mistake buying Pilot Street Radial Front 110/70 and Pilot Street Radial Rear 140/70 R17. I am not picking a fight, only asking your opinion sins i care more about the functionality of the bike than the looks. Like i have mentioned earlier i like to ride hard.

No, those tires are probably fine. The point I made about frame cracking is just conjecture on my part, and something everyone should keep an eye on regardless of tires.

https://cbrforum.com/forum/cbr-600f-...k-frame-57248/

Last edited by dennisgb; 03-07-2014 at 08:36 AM.
Old 03-07-2014, 08:47 AM

Originally Posted by dennisgb
No, those tires are probably fine. The point I made about frame cracking is just conjecture on my part, and something everyone should keep an eye on regardless of tires.

https://cbrforum.com/forum/cbr-600f-...k-frame-57248/
Yes my bike had it when i got it and the first thing i did was to fix it. Cant have a bike split in 2 under hard cornering can we now

Old 03-07-2014, 05:23 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Emmanuel Lind Chrisalos
Yes my bike had it when i got it and the first thing i did was to fix it. Cant have a bike split in 2 under hard cornering can we now

Yes, and if you look at that thread, most people believe the cracks are caused by abuse...rather than my thinking that tires contribute to it. I may be wrong, because the frame and engine assembly is pretty stout.

The other thing to consider with tires is how you intend to use the bike. This is why the discussion is somewhat controversial. What I suggested is my opinion, and it is somewhat conservative because in my experience moving too far off manufacturer recommendations has gotten me into trouble in the past.

Old 03-26-2014, 06:46 PM

Got the Pilot Street Radial Front 110/70 and Pilot Street Radial Rear 140/70 R17 on and i was looking for the pressure they should run on tho dint find any. Should just follow the manual on this even if its pressure is refer for 130 rear an 80 profile?

Old 03-26-2014, 06:50 PM
June 2013 ROTM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've always run 32/32 in all my tires, car and bike. I dunno why. It's always worked for me.

Old 07-10-2014, 01:05 AM

I looked for a while at what is available and finally settled on BT-45Vs. As the 600F is sort of the VFR of CBRs and I am headed well into duffer territory at 58 it seemed an appropriate kind of tire for the lower testosterone riding I will be doing. The front is 110/80. To my surprise Bridgestone rates their 150/70-17 rear for a 3.5" rim so I decided to give it a try since it was spec'd pretty close to the OD of a 130/80. The front was easy to mount, the rear a bit of a challenge. I ended up using the ny-tie trick shown on several you tube videos to get the bead over the rim. Once on it looks a good fit. If I ever get the bike done I'll report on how they work out.

Old 08-14-2014, 11:52 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My frame on my 60km 600F was cracked looong before the radials went on. Welded up ages ago and all is well. 110/70 and 140/70 pirelli Rosso 2. Now sixth set. Funnily, I get 11+ Kms from the front, low on the rear 3700kms, high 6000 kms and my suspension is sorted well. I've had three of the F1 bikes. Two cracked the frames. Weld it (get a pro!) and ride along. Relax.

Old 04-14-2017, 06:49 AM

Hi everyone, so I've just got my '89 CBR through it's MOT today & so getting to know my latest machine. In superb condition for it's age but the one area I'm interested in upgrading is the tyres.

Currently has a set of Continental ContiGo & while I've had these tyres before & liked them, it was on a 125cc machine when I was still on L-Plates. My 'issue' is I'm not sure how well the ContiGo's will cope with the CBR's demands.

Any recommendations? I like Pirelli, had many good tyres from across their range & so the Sport Demon interests me. Metzler's Lasertec seems to be best for hotter conditions rather then UK weather.

I'd like to avoid a mismatched front/rear, which I know limits my choices even more.

Thanks.

Old 03-31-2024, 09:11 PM
Received 18 Likes on 8 Posts
Default updating

What are todays good choices for tires?

Quick Reply: Tire sizes