CBR 600F 1987 - 1990 CBR 600F Forum

Time to say goodbye.

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2016, 03:49 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Time to say goodbye.

Well, the time has come to part ways with my friend of 17 years.

That's right, the Bare Knuckle Boxer, my 1988 CBR 600 F1 Hurricane is going up for sale. This was the first sportbike ever with body cladding, the first sportbike ever with a boxed frame. This bike ruled 600 class racing from it's inception in 1987 until the CBR 600 F3 came out in 1995. The CBR 600 F2 couldn't even touch it. It could take any 1000CC bike up until mid 2004 when the 1kRR and R1's suddenly got put on diets and dropped weight.

I've been driving it since 1998 and owned it since 2000. Master mechanic maintained it's entire life.

The good:
13:1 CR, still has perfect cylinder pressure of 165lbs on all 4.
Milled .035, ported, polished, and 5 angle valve job done on head.
New Electrosport voltage regulator and stator 100 miles ago.
Factory Pro shift kit.
Factory Pro +6* ignition advance.
EBC race brakes front and rear.
Goodridge stainless brakes lines front and rear.
EBC drag clutch.
Wilwood EXP600+ brake fluid.
1990 cams.
Dynojet Stage 2 carb jetting with full race stage 7 airbox mods on 1990 carbs.
D&D Head back full race tri-Y exhaust and muffler.
Vortex 0/+4 sprockets.
RK sport 520 chain with about 3k miles on it.
Always ran Honda 20W50 oil, changed every 3 months, post race day, or 3k miles, whichever came first.
New spark plugs.
CBR F4i rear pegs.
Rear fender modded to be much smaller than stock with other weight reductions to bring body down to 425lbs wet.
Aftermarket rear turns and mirrors.
VFR handlebars for 3.5" rise and 2" pullback.
Michelin tires with 1,500 miles on them.
Throttle and carbs are so dialed it feels like they are hardwired to your brain.
TONS OF Spare parts, new clutch, new brake pads, other new items I keep on hand just in case. I still have all the removed factory parts for upgrades except the exhaust system. 2 large boxes of parts included.
Factory manual, factory digital manual.
New battery maintainer.
New seat cover.
Clear title in hand.

My career best at Rocky Mountain Raceway in 2005 was 10.9 second 1/4 mile at 124,9mph. 2.0 second 60ft time. So a better launch with a smaller rider would be even faster.
Everything works without issue, BARELY street legal.

The bad:
Body has road rash. She has been down 4 times in her life. 3 times with me on it sub 20mph and once prior to me purchasing her.
Cosmetic damage only. Hence why she is called the bare knuckle boxer. She is ugly, has cauliflower ear and a black eye, but will tear your face off without a second thought.

The full race exhaust system+engine and intake mods are LOUD. Like REALLY REALLY REALLY LOUD. Like wear earplugs or go deaf inside your helmet loud. It sounds just like a track bike because it was a track bike. It sings at full throttle! If you have never been to a race track and seen a racebike, imagine NASCAR, but louder. Closest thing would be F1 race cars for the sound and volume.

It pops, grunts, and spits fire occasionally out the exhaust on decel, and doesn't like to idle under 1500rpm unless cold due to the high CR and ignition advance. But what do you expect of a track bike?

She doesn't like cruising at one speed for long periods of time. She wants to be uncorked and driven.

The re-gear tops it out at 135mph, but that's fast enough to die any way you slice it. Since it gets there in under 11 seconds who cares.

NEEDS 91+ octane or she stutters, jerks, and pings.
She prefers 50/50 C16 race fuel/91 octane mix. Stupid fast and powerful everywhere on this mix. Runs coolest and happiest on 50/50.
Can run 100% C16, but needs the idle air adjusts turned down 1/4 turn or it idles at 4k.

Cosmetically 5/10.
Mechanically 11/10.
I have about $18,000 invested over the 16 years I've owned her.

$3,500.00 or best reasonable offer.

Selling because she just doesn't get ridden anymore and I am trying to buy a house. She sits in the garage, untouched, for far to long at a time, only 100 miles in 3 years.
My work bike, a Kawasaki Concours 14, is daily driven and has 8000 miles in 8 months.

No money order, green dot, etc BS. Cash talks, BS walks.

Last edited by drakito; 03-07-2017 at 06:08 PM.
Old 08-26-2016, 04:30 PM
Old 08-27-2016, 08:33 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have to keep reminding myself that my reach exceeds my grasp with so many things I am juggling all at once, including 2 bike upgrade (recent purchase).

Last edited by Jaybird180; 08-27-2016 at 08:35 AM.
Old 08-27-2016, 09:17 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

This is a really cool bike and one that would be hard to put together today given the scarcity of performance parts for the early CBR's.

I have to say it's not my cup of tea though. As an old guy bikes like this scare the crap out of me.

If I was in my 20's I would jump on it and go crazy.

You should have no trouble selling it. I'd put it on EBay to get a broader audience.

Old 08-27-2016, 09:44 AM
Retired Super Moderator and Fighterer
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

I like it, good luck with the sale

Old 08-27-2016, 06:41 PM

Dennis, I started building it when I was 21, by 25 it was finished. I'm 37 now. I haven't raced her since 2007 when I was 28. When I do take it out I feel bad because I wake up all the neighbors and my ears hurt after a short ride. I'm old now. The Concours is more than enough for what I do now. Though this 600 would beat it handily in a race.

Some of the parts were nightmares to source, even in early 2000. I had to wait 9 months for a 1990 head with cams to do all the work on. Then another 6 months for the machine shop to get it finalized. Horsepower Farms in Benson UT did the head work. They specialize in NHRA 5000hp motors.

The 1990 carbs were the hardest by far to source. Over a year to hunt down a set that was actually from 1990 with the larger sizing.

Old 08-29-2016, 05:58 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by drakito
Dennis, I started building it when I was 21, by 25 it was finished. I'm 37 now. I haven't raced her since 2007 when I was 28. When I do take it out I feel bad because I wake up all the neighbors and my ears hurt after a short ride. I'm old now. The Concours is more than enough for what I do now. Though this 600 would beat it handily in a race.

Some of the parts were nightmares to source, even in early 2000. I had to wait 9 months for a 1990 head with cams to do all the work on. Then another 6 months for the machine shop to get it finalized. Horsepower Farms in Benson UT did the head work. They specialize in NHRA 5000hp motors.

The 1990 carbs were the hardest by far to source. Over a year to hunt down a set that was actually from 1990 with the larger sizing.
Your not as old as me. I'm 64. Not the normal age for sport bikes for sure.

I hear you on sourcing the parts...if it was hard then...

I'm thinking someone will want this bike just for the cool factor.

Old 09-06-2016, 02:01 PM

Here are some videos of it driving around.
Video was shot with a GoPro 3+ in the waterproof case with foam over the mics. It was needed because the engine was so loud it broke up the audio signal in the recording until I muffled it down with both. GoPro was mounted on a high stalk off the top of the fuel tank.

And after watching the videos, Man I hit that turn signal cancel A LOT!

Last edited by drakito; 09-06-2016 at 02:13 PM.
Old 09-14-2016, 11:08 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow that is insane.

Looks like mine but sounds just a little different.

Old 09-20-2016, 05:45 PM

So far, not a single legit bite.
Tons of scammers(5-6 a day!) wanting to send me a check for too much and have me pay the shipping to them and refund them cash on green dot cards, etc.

I'm leery of Ebay selling high dollar items. I got burned BAD on a sale about 4 years ago. The guy who bought what I was selling changed his address the day AFTER I shipped it out, then opened a complaint case. I ended up shipping it 3 times, at $100 each time, before he finally returned it to me and he won the dispute on Ebay and Paypal. Changed his address the DAY AFTER I shipped every time. I ended up out $400 for the deal and got it back in the mail about 6 months after he won the dispute. He even had used it for about 2 of those months before it was returned on the final ship. He sent it back broken and damaged. Every time I saw it it pissed me off. Paypal and Ebay didn't care.
It was a car transmission built for race spec that barely fit in a 20x20x20" box and weighed in at 140lbs. I had to completely redo it and resale it on a forum a year later.
Small stuff, no worries, big stuff? I'm still burnt.

Quick Reply: Time to say goodbye.