CBR 600F 1987 - 1990 CBR 600F Forum

Radiator Fan Manual Switch

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2017, 10:23 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Radiator Fan Manual Switch

Hey everyone,

I noticed in the summer while riding in traffic my bike gets pretty hot before the fan turns on, do you guys notice this as well? I am considering putting in a manual switch so I can kick the fan on and do a write up on it. I was unable to find any info in the forum regarding a manual fan switch for our bikes. Do any of you guys have links to such a thing? I also wanted to ask if you are all aware of a better solution such as simply replacing the thermostatic switch with something set for a lower temperature kick on. I will mention that "hot" here is entirely subjective and I have checked to ensure the thermostat and thermostatic switch are working properly.

Maverick

Last edited by -Maverick-; 02-16-2017 at 10:35 AM.
Old 02-16-2017, 06:38 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What is the temperature on the gauge when you think it's too hot? The system is designed to operate best at the proper temp. If you're planning to turn on the fan just because it feels hot that's not a good idea. If it's actually running above the operating temperature then something is wrong. I've had a number of F1's and never felt a need to add a switch. Personally I wouldn't do it because it's not a proper fix in my opinion.

Old 02-17-2017, 07:07 AM

It hits the beginning of the red area before the fan kicks on, is that typical from your experience? If the thermostatic switch resistance checks out at the various temps in the owner's manual what would you suggest I check out next? I am inclined to think like you dennisgb and leave it alone if it is indeed operating normally.

Thank you for your input on this!

Old 02-17-2017, 07:55 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think they are supposed to turn on before they hit the red. The thermostat should start to open at 180 degrees F. The fan should turn on somewhere between 200 and 220 F.

The temp could go beyond that if there is something wrong or the temp outside is extremely hot. Are you sure the thermostat is good? Also radiator cap should be checked. Is the system full of antifreeze? Maybe you need a system flush. There are also additives that help cool better. Water pump may be failing. That's about it.

Old 02-18-2017, 09:04 AM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Mine turns on right before red, by like 1-2mm. It's at 210* when it comes on.
With my modifications I just turn it off at stop lights to keep it from overheating here in the desert when it's 120*+ ambient.
However, if you absolutely need to have one it is fairly simple. You just add a grounded wire to the left side of the radiator at the thermistor switch. There is a single circular thermistor with one wire coming out of it. It grounds when the radiator coolant is hot enough to activate the fan. Tying into it will allow the factory system to still work, and give you manual control if you feel it is too hot.

Old 02-18-2017, 12:21 PM

Thanks dennisgb I have checked those things and I replaced the tstat not that last year so it should be good still. Based on drakito's input I think my bike is operating normally as it comes on just before the red (I tested it today). If I do decide to do a manual switch I will go your route drakito. Thanks for both of your input!