CBR 600F 1987 - 1990 CBR 600F Forum

Not starting... Pump clicking noise...

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2013, 05:26 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Not starting... Pump clicking noise...

Hi guys i am new hire so if there is a thread abut this berried somewhere in there i apologies in advance.
To the point, i moved from Greece to Norway 2 years ago and sins i moved i didn't have a bike. Not long ago tho i bout a CBR 600 FH, the 87 model. It was somewhat cheep and nice looking, a rebuild to cafe fighter. I rode it 700km to the town i live now with no significant problem. Tho today after my day at university it wouldn't start. There where power in the battery and the starter was turning. I even smelt gasoline after i pumped the throttle an played with the chock, but nothing. After some time in frustration i tried to push in gear and it started. Tho the fuel pump maid a clicking noise every 2 to 3 seconds and when i felt the tubes there was pressure kick whenever there was clicks. Tho i think it stooped as i was in somewhat high rpm's as i was on the way home. After i parked the bike at my pace after 30 secs the clicking was back. Can it be that i need a new pump?

Thanks in advans

Last edited by Emmanuel Lind Chrisalos; 09-04-2013 at 06:17 PM.
Old 09-04-2013, 11:37 PM

That is normal for the fuel pump. each click is the pump giving your carbs gas. You should look into a new battery perhaps. check for parasitic draw then you charging system before though.

Old 09-05-2013, 11:04 AM

Thanks for the reply Zachy72. I am glad its not the pump. I believe that it might be parasitic draw, tho i don't have the tools for it at the moment. I tried starting it this morning and it starter just fine. The same was after school. Can it be something ells maybe?

Old 09-05-2013, 10:36 PM

If the battery is able to turn the starter without a problem I would rule out parasitic draw, and charging system or battery problems. It's should be getting fuel as well since you mentioned a gas smell after trying to start the engine.

After riding it back home does it start up and run now on its own, or still have a problem starting and/or running? I'm thinking the engine may have become flooded due to the carburetors needing to be cleaned & adjusted. If it still will not start check for spark on all 4 plugs, and verify engine compression is good. (If it cranks over smoothly without skipping a step the compression should be good enough to start the engine). Assuming spark and compression are good I would check or replace the fuel filter and fully clean the carburetors and re-sync them if possible.

Old 09-18-2013, 01:00 AM

I had the exact same thing happening to me last week and all I had to do was buy a new solenoid

Old 02-23-2017, 05:30 PM

I have the same issue. But my fuel pump is new. started clicking the first time I fired it up. Even clicked when I turned the key before i tried to start the bike. Idk if its an electrical problem or just because the pump is new.

Old 03-02-2017, 11:41 AM

I'm with Tahoe on this one. Based on what you have told me you can likely rule out the fuel pump or starter being the problem. I think the most likely problem is spark plugs/wires/ignition system and a good healthy cleaning of your carbs and a new fuel filter. If those cheap things dont correct the problem you could go rent a compression tester and check compression.

I should mention that there is a thread running around here somewhere by CorruptFile detailing how to build a new ignition system (coil on plug) from parts off a newer bike if you find that the ignition system is the problem.

Old 03-02-2017, 03:38 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Is your new pump OEM. If aftermarket pump throw it away they are junk. Get a Honda pump or rebuild your old one. Clicking of the pump is normal. If you haven't cleaned your carbs you need to do that also.

Old 03-09-2017, 02:28 PM

Originally Posted by dennisgb
Is your new pump OEM. If aftermarket pump throw it away they are junk. Get a Honda pump or rebuild your old one. Clicking of the pump is normal. If you haven't cleaned your carbs you need to do that also.
Hey Dennis, any experience with the K&L pump? I need a new one but cant find an original one anywhere. Honda dealership near me says they dont make em anymore!

Old 03-10-2017, 07:49 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have not heard of K&L pumps? Post a link. If it is aftermarket my guess is that it would not be any good. You can repair original pump with a points kit. There are new OEM pumps out there. Check Bike Bandit.

Quick Reply: Not starting... Pump clicking noise...