CBR 600F 1987 - 1990 CBR 600F Forum

carb removal

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2008, 04:36 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default carb removal

so i took off the air cleaner on my cbr 600 cane. unscrewed the bolts holding the carbs to the engine block .. and i can not get the f#$kn set off. help is there a bolt or so i am missing. do i need to just shake it around the connectors to the block or wat. help me please

Old 05-02-2008, 05:46 PM
Default RE: carb removal

did you loosen the black rubber bands on the bottom, that attach to the intake. If so then your next move is get over the bike like your getting on and pull with some force, they kinda weld on. But becare ful not to pull extremely hard cause your throttle and choke cables still attached.

Old 05-02-2008, 05:47 PM

There are no bolts, but maybe you just said "bolts."

If you see the black hard rubber manifolds between the carbs and the head, there is a collar with a phillips screw on each side of the black rubber manifold, for a total of 8. You need to unscrew those phillips screws until the collars are loose on each manifold. That's it.

If they haven't been off in a while, it's gonna suck. Heat will help, either a hair dryer or (if you're VERY careful and know what you're doing) a small torch. Work the carb forward and back in the frame and try to pull up. Don't try to pry it or wedge it or anything, bcause if you crack that aluminum piece the airbox screws onto it's not a good thing.

Be patient, and try not to mess up your hands, and good luck!

EDIT. Maybe let's not use a torch right now.

Old 05-02-2008, 06:34 PM

pour some gas on the gaskets and then use the torch it will help get the carbs off hah joking dont do it!!!!!!!!!

Old 05-02-2008, 06:41 PM

ORIGINAL: HurricaneRider

pour some gas on the gaskets and then use the torch it will help get the carbs off hah joking dont do it!!!!!!!!!
HAHAHA You totally nailed what went through my head right after I typed that!

Old 05-02-2008, 06:56 PM

so nothin is happenin. i cant get it off. honestly almost an hour and nothin. blow dryer and so forth. is there replacements for the rubber hose. just askin incase i f$#$ it up. would like to know these little things

Old 05-02-2008, 07:01 PM

Is the carb assemby moving at all when you rock it back and forth? You might try to spray something like PB blaster around the edges of the manifolds and let it soak for a while, maybe even overnight.

Old 05-02-2008, 07:04 PM

yeah wd40 i sprayed it .. it is rockin back and forth. thats bout it.

Old 05-02-2008, 07:04 PM

If you're absolutely positive you have everything loosened up, you could use a prybar or a broomstick, but that really increases your chances of messing something up. I don't wanna read in the paper about "Man killed in bizarre blowtorch-broomstick accident in garage."

The first time I got mine off it took an hour or so of rocking that assembly, and WD 40 and PB blaster and screwdrivers and busted knuckles.

Old 05-02-2008, 07:06 PM

You can also rock it forward, and then when you got it forward, grab a back corner and pull towards the front/opposite side of the bike. Push it forward, grab the rearward right side, for example, and pull up and towards the left.

Quick Reply: carb removal