CBR 600F 1987 - 1990 CBR 600F Forum

1987 Hurricane to 2003 CBR600RR Conversion

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2016, 04:11 PM
Retired Super Moderator and Fighterer
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by dennisgb
Thanks so much for the positive comments. On a long rebuild like this it's really important to get positive feedback to keep the juices flowing.

Haha, don't I know it! But keep it up. There's nothing quite like a 1-of-a-kind bike

Old 01-13-2016, 05:17 PM
Super Moderator
Received 311 Likes on 255 Posts

But if you got all your projects done, you'd be bored. And whether or not a chopped Triumph is supposed to be on a CBR site, I think it's pretty sweet. Just the right amount of rake for my tastes.

Old 01-13-2016, 05:56 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Conrice
Haha, don't I know it! But keep it up. There's nothing quite like a 1-of-a-kind bike

Ha! I checked out your 954 build thread. I don't usually go far from the F1 site because I don't know much about the other bikes.

Pretty crazy stuff there. Seems you stole the engine though I guess the other bike was more important. I hate when that happens.

I like the single sided swing arm...looked at doing one but got side tracked with the 3 wheeler concept. Playing with swing arms that don't fit is a specialty of mine

That will be an awesome bike when your done. You might want to check out the fly screen on my 919. I think you can see it in one of the pictures I posted. It's a really clean look for a fighter and fits over a big headlight.

Old 01-13-2016, 06:08 PM

Originally Posted by hamlin6
But if you got all your projects done, you'd be bored. And whether or not a chopped Triumph is supposed to be on a CBR site, I think it's pretty sweet. Just the right amount of rake for my tastes.

Oh man. I have so many projects now. There are 3 more CBR's in the wings. 2 will be stock Hurricanes. One will be a fighter with RR tail...sort of a take off on the one I'm building now. Then there is the Norton and the Triumph. I picked up a Honda Sabre 1100 that I want to turn in the spring. I also have a line on more CBR's...I've grown attached to them for some reason.

The rake on the Triumph is pretty radical. It's hard to steer it...would like it to be a little less, but it is what it is...it's a chopper so not designed for the twisties Ha!

Old 02-05-2016, 09:49 AM

It's so quiet on the Forum. I thought I would post this picture of the front end of the conversion bike.

This is all custom paintwork I did. This was a very complicated paint job. More so than any I had done before. The fairing was painted white first. Then masked off and black was applied. The gold is 3M wrap film. Black pinstriping around the gold in the center. 2009 CBR Moto GP Playboy decals. 2 part clear applied over everything and color sanded and buffed to give it a high shine durable surface. It turned out way better than I imagined it would.

Name:  IMG_0846_zpsyzhjvspc.jpg
Views: 342
Size:  272.0 KB

Old 02-05-2016, 05:00 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That's a great angle for a shot. The line spacing and crispness are awesome. I really like the way the trimmed down fender looks too.

Old 02-06-2016, 10:23 AM

Thanks Dan,

It's been a long time coming but finally almost done.

Ran into a little fit problem with the tail. I changed frames when I actually started to build the bike, because the original frame didn't have a title and I had one that did. That meant I had to replicate the bend angle on the new frame. It's slightly different either from the bend or the welding, so needed to tweak things.

I've been buying RR parts for another build. I have 5 CBR600F's in different conditions. The last one is a 1990 that will be done in original fairings. Then there is the black and red Hurricane that also will be original. That leaves 2 more that need bodies. The next RR I will try and mount the RR subframe for the tail.

Dennis

Old 02-10-2016, 02:10 PM
Default More Pictures

I noticed there aren't many pictures of the bike in this thread. I'm adding a few more for those thinking about doing a conversion like this.

Here's a shot where you can see the Playboy logo. The decal set was a duplicate of the 2009 Playboy Moto GP bike. I ordered this from the UK. It wasn't really designed to fit the RR, so I had to modify it to fit. The Honda decals are OEM.

Name:  side_zpsqppwdafs.jpg
Views: 823
Size:  516.3 KB

This is a rear angle where you can see the upswept pipe. This is a Vance and Hines exhaust for a Kawasaki Nija that I modified to fit the CBR. I wanted the upswept pipe to keep it like the RR as close as I could.

Name:  rear%20side_zps1fh94yrj.jpg
Views: 397
Size:  395.1 KB

This is a shot straight on from the rear that shows alignment of the tail end. A tricky part of the build since the sub-frame was cut, bent and welded in order to accept the RR tail.

Name:  Rear_zpsgb0y0tyn.jpg
Views: 375
Size:  426.0 KB

Hopefully this thread inspires so others to take on this conversion. It's been a long process but well worth it. I am very close to finishing the bike, but won't be running it until spring.

Old 03-13-2016, 08:08 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is nuts, props to both of you guys for the insane craftsmanship and effort that went into these bikes. Dennis, your level of detail in your build guide is incredible. It really is a one stop shop for learning how to get this conversion done. Plus it is a great place to see pics of some awesome bikes!

mav

Old 03-13-2016, 12:04 PM

Originally Posted by -Maverick-
This is nuts, props to both of you guys for the insane craftsmanship and effort that went into these bikes. Dennis, your level of detail in your build guide is incredible. It really is a one stop shop for learning how to get this conversion done. Plus it is a great place to see pics of some awesome bikes!

mav

Thanks so much for the positive comments. When I started this thread it was because I searched all over the web for information and there just wasn't much. Also many of the bikes I found that had the RR conversion were not executed very well.

It's funny because after your comments in another thread I went back and looked at some of my earlier posts. The bike has come a long way, and I went through a lot of stuff along the way. A couple of surgeries and most of last year putting the shop together so I had a good place to work.

I actually worked on the bike yesterday in between getting my other bikes ready for spring and prepping a couple of bikes I have for sale.

I'm at the final detail stage. Worked on final mounting of the gauges. I need to find some threaded stand-offs to get them positioned correctly. Small stuff but it all takes time. I'm going to paint the oil cooler today so I can mount it and then the engine will be ready to run for the first time. She will be on the road soon.

If you plan on doing one of these, plan for a long down time

Quick Reply: 1987 Hurricane to 2003 CBR600RR Conversion