CBR 600F 1987 - 1990 CBR 600F Forum

1987 Hurricane to 2003 CBR600RR Conversion

Old 09-18-2014, 03:24 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks Doc,

I have been drawing a schematic so I added this to my wiring file.

Old 09-18-2014, 11:30 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You are most welcome. It's the least I can do to repay for your creating this great, detailed project thread.

I now have all lights running except the weird little running light above the headlamps. Just need the right socket. I did the diode trick that makes a two wire turn signal (flash only) into a three wire turn signal/running light (flash for turn signal, always lit otherwise) on the flush mount front signals. Works well. Brake flasher works great too.

Next electrical is the new digital dash. I bought a Chinese digital dash called the SS182. Seems pretty slick, but like a lot of electronics from China it has only about 1/3 of the information you need to install it without a knowledge of electronics. There is little on the web about how to install it besides guys posting that they have no idea how to use it. As an electronics kit manufacturer who has written a zillion assembly manuals over the years this lack of instruction really peeves me. So I plan to pull together some sort of info as I work out the install and post it in a new thread.

Old 09-19-2014, 11:40 AM

Doc,

I know you are an electronics guy so you should be able to figure that out. You might want to do a web search and look at other speedo units out there. The Chinese copy that stuff and I'd be willing to bet they all use the same control chip. worth a look.

Dennis

Old 09-19-2014, 12:43 PM

Got it sorted last night. The main issue is the the tach is designed to connect directly to the pulse generator and it won't work with the existing wire from the ECU that feeds the stock tach. On top of that the service manual shows a different pulse generator and ECU setup than is actually on the bike. So it took a bit of sleuthing to sort out.

Once you find the right signal to feed the new tach the digital dash is actually pretty cool. I got the fuel gauge readout to read the resistance of the temp sensor too, though it is not calibrated right and sits at halfway with the engine cold, not what I expected to see. Gonna play with that and see if I can get it to work through the full scale.

The new dash uses nine pin connectors, but with the same kind of male and female contacts inside as the stock four and six pin connectors. Going to see if I can pop the wires and contacts out of the stock connectors and reconfigure them into nine pin plugs I bought so I don't have to do too much soldering.

Old 09-20-2014, 10:30 AM

Glad u figured it out. I'm pretty much down with my back problem so won't post much until next week...surgery is Monday. I'm in a ton of pain right now. Nothing really helps nerve pain. Really bummed that my projects are delayed...again. Fun watching you finish tho...keep going...you are almost done.

Old 09-21-2014, 01:06 AM

Chain went on today, along with a new fuel cutoff relay and a new o-ring for a leaky petcock. Just about together enough for a test ride tomorrow. Determined that at least part of the carb problem is leaky carb boots so those are on order. Somehow I managed to loose the T shaped bracket I fabbed for the front seat hold down. I cannot fathom where it could have gone, it hasn't left the garage in the past nine months. So I will probably whip up another tomorrow and then I think the bike will be bolted up enough for a short ride up and down my long driveway to see what falls off. I did at least manage to ride it into the garage tonight at quitting time.

Old 09-21-2014, 09:46 AM

Originally Posted by Doc B.
Chain went on today, along with a new fuel cutoff relay and a new o-ring for a leaky petcock. Just about together enough for a test ride tomorrow. Determined that at least part of the carb problem is leaky carb boots so those are on order. Somehow I managed to loose the T shaped bracket I fabbed for the front seat hold down. I cannot fathom where it could have gone, it hasn't left the garage in the past nine months. So I will probably whip up another tomorrow and then I think the bike will be bolted up enough for a short ride up and down my long driveway to see what falls off. I did at least manage to ride it into the garage tonight at quitting time.

I am so envious of you right now. Happy for you, sad and depressed for me because I'm down again and can't finish mine. It's hard because this has been 2+ years of dealing with this back and the third surgery. I really wanted to finish and was so close.

I bought new boots because the old ones were hard as a rock. The 3 other sets were the same. They weren't cheap as I remember...close to $100 with shipping, but so nice when the carb rack slid right in and you knew the were seated right. Another expense...but worth it. When I look at the bike it's essentially new...feels good...but the cost was insane.

Old 09-21-2014, 01:07 PM

Suggest considering this interruption a bit of time to dream about the project to distract your mind, consider your project as a reason to get better quick, and enjoy building up that bike all the more when you get back in the groove so to speak. Even if you aren't hands on you can still be thinking through the project to occupy your mind. And I do think this third time will be the charm and you will end up more comfortable riding than you have in a long time.

The motiviation for my project, in truth, is as replacement therapy for kicking a ten year martini habit acquired when I broke my leg pretty badly in my late 40's. So getting it done is my reward for staying dry for the past 18 months. I woulda just spent all that money on gin, so I guess it doesn't really matter if the bike ends up worth what I have put into it dollar-wise.

I just ordered some carb boots from an ebay seller who claims they are new and Japanese made, for $35. We'll see if they are the real goods. Meantime I have to make myself get the vinyl wrap finished up. That has been much more of a challenge to get looking good than I imagined.

Old 09-26-2014, 11:48 AM

Just got home from hospital...feel like I was hit by a truck. Did anyone get the license number? Yikes!

Old 09-26-2014, 06:15 PM

Yeow, they kept you there for a while. Hope you start feeling better soon. Getting out of the hospital and back home ought to help your attitude a bunch. Go easy!

I'm creeping along on my project. My new carb boots arrived yesterday so I have the rack out again today. I suspected my torn diaphragm repair wouldn't hold, and I was right. I found a good used replacement. Very hairy getting it replaced. The old one pulls off easily, but you have to force the beaded inside edge of the new diaphragm into a narrow slot between two plastic rings on the slide without tearing it. Ample motor oil and gentle steady work with a plastic scraper I use for my vinyl wrap work got it tucked in. Whew!

I had also foolishly not examined the jet sizes when I had the carbs apart last time. Looks like I have a pretty rich setup, #38 slow jets and #120 main jets. At least now I know what I am dealing with and can figure which way to start adjusting the pilot screws and what alternative jet sizes to buy if need be. With the Danmoto pipe and a Uni foam filter I may be in the general ballpark as-is.

I think I also have this sorted, but I wanted to check here to see if anyone had any insight-

I have three tubes on the rack that seem to want to be left open to atmosphere. I think they are connected to the smog stuff on the Cali models, but I can't find any specifics about what to do with them on a 49 state bike. First pair are some tubes that have the lower, thinner hoses with the number 6 (upper hose is fuel inlet line) that are tied together in this photo attached to them. It appears that these are replaced with short open pieces of hose on the 49 state bikes:

The second is this black t-shaped tube that sits in the middle, that you can see from the diaphragm side of the rack. Every pic I find shows it naked, but it looks like it might hook to some smog hose on a Cali model:

Are these connections just open to atmospheric air on everyone else's non-Cali bikes?

Last edited by Doc B.; 09-26-2014 at 06:38 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 1987 Hurricane to 2003 CBR600RR Conversion