CBR 1100XX "Super Blackbird" 1998 - 2003 CBR 1000XX

1997 Blackbird

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2006, 09:07 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1997 Blackbird

Hey Guys,

Just a quick question.

i was motoroing on the highway on the way to work today at about 60 mph entering a construction zone when my speedometer just dropped to zero.

I had never seen this before but obviously did not feel it was worth the risk to stop and check it out.

I continued on for about for about 1-2 miles when it slowly came back to life, and was fine on the way home.

I checked around the bike before coming home and cannot even find speedo cable. I assume it is an electric sensor somewhere, or maybe even in the drivetran somewhere.

Anyone have any ideas? A friend suggested if it was electric that maybe a magnet in the construction zone could have affected it?

Thanks.

Old 04-25-2006, 09:31 AM
Default RE: 1997 Blackbird

tighten the bolts of the battery, check that the cables are properly connected. When speedo needle falls, means that there's no connection to the frame (negative). And do it quickly, 'cause that could burn your cdi module. I had this problem just a couple of week after buying my '98 bird; I remember I had the same sensation as you: slowly backing to life!!

Old 04-25-2006, 10:23 PM

Enrique,

Thanks for the suggestion.

I checked the cables, and they were tight. I took of my Battery Tender lead just in case this could have dsitracted the connection.

I tried to track the ground but lost it somewhere under the tank in the middle of the engine compartment.

Do you know where it is grounded? I assume one or more of the covers need to come off?

Also, do you think a low battery could cause the same condition? (I bought the bike used recently and have no idea how old the battery is?)

Thanks,

Spencer

Old 04-25-2006, 11:40 PM

If you've had the battery on a tender, I wouldn't think that a low battery would cause the problem.

I second the check on the ground wires. I also suggest disconnecting and reconnecting the speedo sensor.

These may help:

Old 04-29-2006, 06:28 PM

Hobicus,

Thanks for the wiring diagram!

I was riding home last night and it did it again (I did NOT have the problem on the 30 mile ride to work in the AM). In fact was almost home running 70mph trying not to get run over by the semis and the speedo and tach. went to 0, though the bike seemed to run ok.

I took off the w/shield, and the 2 inner faircovers on both sides of the dash to check for loose/kinked wires, but could not find any. I thought maybe my bar risers could have something to do with putting too much strain, on the wiring so lowered them a bit.

(Then I tried to start the bike and it would not turn over all the way, like a dead battery. Man, I'm blessed not have been stuck at work on a Friday afternoon so far from home.)

Ah, now we're getting somewhere, I hoped. I took the battery to local Honda dealer and they load tested it and it failed.

I purchased a new fresh identical Yuasa and installed it. The bike fired up great-all electrical seems to work ok, but the true test will be another 60 miles home to work round trip on the freeway.

I'll let you know for sure. The Honda dealer mechanic kind of scratched his head, never heard of my problem before. He did think it might have something to do with the alarm that is installed, but not actively fully connected-he said bike alrms wreak havoc on electrical systems.

Thansk.

Old 05-01-2006, 11:07 PM

I would suggest that you also do a simple charging system test. Both the Regulator/Rectifier and the Stator on the bird have occasional problems, especially the Reg/Rect.

If you have an electical meter, put it on the battery, start the bike, and crack the throttle. The voltage should come up from 12ish to 14ish... but not go over 14. If it goes to 16 plus, it's the reg/rect overcharging the battery. If it doesn't go up from 12... it's the stator.

Old 05-02-2006, 10:06 PM

Update:

Well, yesterday everything was perfect. However, for a brief time the speedo and then tach dropped to zero again on the way home. (not re-assuring when coming thru a narrow contruction zone in heavy freeway traffic and tractor trailers stacked up behind me running 65+)

Anyway, I took an exit and I knew something was definetely wrong with the electrical-dash lights dim, etc.

I arrived at my destination and called the same Honda tech who I bought the battery from 3 days ago. He concurred with Hobicus, a charging test was needed to determine which part is needed.

I hope to have this done tomorrow, then will let you know.

Old 05-03-2006, 09:11 PM

Update #2:

Took the bike to dealer. They used meter, and the system was charging correctly-no direct sign of failure of Rectifier/Regular, or Stator. They could not find the problem, but suspected it could be a ground failure or partial failure anywhere in the bike. He said that it could be anywhere.

I think I will leave it with him and let him do some checking around as I about due for some service anyway. I think I'll ask him to remove the alarm as well, as it came with the bike but is inoperable which could be causing/contrbuting to the problem.

I'll keep you all posted.

Old 05-03-2006, 09:13 PM

Update #2:

Took the bike to dealer. They used meter, and the system was charging correctly-no direct sign of failure of Rectifier/Regular, or Stator. They could not find the problem, but suspected it could be a ground failure or partial failure anywhere in the bike. He said that it could be anywhere.

I think I will leave it with him and let him do some checking around as I about due for some service anyway. I think I'll ask him to remove the alarm as well, as it came with the bike but is inoperable which could be causing/contrbuting to the problem.

I'll keep you all posted.

Old 05-05-2006, 01:49 PM

Any updates?

Quick Reply: 1997 Blackbird