Track Days?

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2016, 10:05 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Track Days?

Can someone explain to me what a track day is? Is this for expert riders? Do they have instructors there to teach? I am very interested in becoming a better rider and learning the correct way to handle these bikes. I've been riding a muscle bike for years and never really learned how to handle a bike properly through turns.

Old 09-01-2016, 05:22 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not sure what country you're in but in the U.S. most track day organizations have groups divided into beginner/novice, intermediate, advanced, & licensed racers. Beginner/novice start out in a classroom for 30min or so for example. Then hit the track and follow coaches nice and slow learning the lines of the track. Then back to the classroom, then back to the track. Progressively getting faster and faster throughout the day. No passing allowed in the beginner group unless instructed to. Coaches have you follow them and coaches will follow you, giving advice and pointers. Intermediate is the same but faster with passing allowed on straights or on the outside of turn only usually, also you can go as fast as you want but coaches still follow you and give tips etc. or they have you follow them to show you good track lines. Advanced/licensed racers is pretty much a free for all with the exception of NO RACING. And thats where the coaches usually ride if they just want to ride but they still might give pointer & the coaches are also considered track police. If you are doing stupid stuff, being dangerous etc. you will get a talking to, maybe even asked to leave and not allowed back. At Summit Point Motorsports Park,( where I went before I lost my job) there is electrical outlets for $10 a day so you can have fans etc, Showers, bathroom, consession stand. Take lots of water and snacks, EZ up canopy, lawnchairs, tools, extra fluids, advil, and a friend, just in case you cant drive home or dont feel like driving home. You'll also need gaunlet gloves, a newer helmet, full leather suit and boots. I know I left some stuff out. Cant think of everything right now. There usually tire venders at the track to help with air pressure and maybe a suspension guy the help get you dialed in for a small fee. I spent all day on Saturdays loading my mini van, checking/prepping my bike for the Sunday Monday two day combo for $350 at Roger Lyles Motorcycle Xcitement. Camped out at the track with my brother in law. Even went by myself some. Worth every penny. I rode in the Advanced/licensed racer group, I use to be a licensed racer back in the 90's, so I took extra handle bars, brake & clutch levers, foot pegs, etc. along with all the fluids I might need for the bike or the mini van. The biggest hurdle is making the decision to just friggin do it. If you're not sure about what to expect, go watch a track day, I'm sure they'll let you sit in the classroom sessions even if you aint riding, it'll be like them fishing getting the hook in your mouth, to get you to actually do a track day. With Motorcycle Xcitement theres no charge to get into the gate so spectating is free. I think its safer than riding on the street. No speeding tickets, no cars, no oncoming traffic, everyone is in the same frame of mind, ambulance on site just in case. When you factor in the cost of a speeding ticket and your insurance going up, a track day is a bargain the way I see it.

Old 09-01-2016, 06:48 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

CF said a mouthful...I wonder if his keyboard is smoking- LoL.

I'm a fan of schools. My first Trackday was with NESBA. Afterwards I went with Teampromotion, for no other reason than availability with my schedule and a track that I could reasonably get to driving. DO NOT (though some do it) ride your bike there. You'll be tired after the day. Have someone with you for the drive up and back its more fun and safer.

Track schools have a slight premium in costs over just plain ole' trackdays and they're worth every penny. Pick one you like best and just go for it!

Old 09-01-2016, 07:31 PM

Where are you at Nytrozula? JayBird, what tracks have you done?

Old 09-01-2016, 08:17 PM

With Motorcycle Xcitement you can just show up, pay & sign up. Then go through tech inspection. They make sure you bike is NOT a POS. Tape over glass etc. Must have good tire, plenty of brake pad, and nothing loose or falling off. No dripping of fluids. A function kill switch, and the throttle returns on it own. Also they'll check your helmet,gloves, leathers, and boots. Sign up starts at 7, rider meeting at 8:15, on track at 9:00 lunch for 1 hour, back on the track til 5:00. The initial cost of starting is a little expensive. But once you get all that stuff doing ANOTHER track day is easier on the wallet. Just dont get too fast too soon or you'll be spending $400 on tires the might last 4 days along with the tire warmers that are required for said tires.

Old 09-01-2016, 10:14 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I live in the Chicagoland area. I think there is one of these tracks about 30-40 miles from me. I wouldn't have a problem paying for some type of instruction from some professional riders. Any advice on a bike to use at the track? I know for certain that the 1000 is to much bike for me to use and would want a second bike for track riding. I would like to buy something not so expensive(~$4K) that I could use for these days. I appreciate the responses from all of you.

Old 09-02-2016, 06:25 AM

There are lots of smaller, less powerful bikes that make great track bikes. First one that comes to mind is the Suzuki SV 650. It has about 70hp, liquid cooled V-twin, and has a great following with track riders and its own forum. Some more bikes would be Suzuki GS 500, air cooled 2 cylinder, Ninja EX 500, and even the Ninja 250. Most of those bike can be bought for very resonable prices. And you wouldnt even have to license and insure it. Make it a track only bike since you already have a street bike. I have 4 Honda CBRs and only one is licensed & insured, the other 3, one is track only, another is a parts bike, and another is a future track only.

Last edited by coalminer frank; 09-02-2016 at 06:26 AM. Reason: Xcitement 711
Old 09-02-2016, 06:48 AM

Originally Posted by coalminer frank
There are lots of smaller, less powerful bikes that make great track bikes. First one that comes to mind is the Suzuki SV 650. It has about 70hp, liquid cooled V-twin, and has a great following with track riders and its own forum. Some more bikes would be Suzuki GS 500, air cooled 2 cylinder, Ninja EX 500, and even the Ninja 250. Most of those bike can be bought for very resonable prices. And you wouldnt even have to license and insure it. Make it a track only bike since you already have a street bike. I have 4 Honda CBRs and only one is licensed & insured, the other 3, one is track only, another is a parts bike, and another is a future track only.
Really popular now is the new breed of 300s for trackdays. As a matter of fact, check out the for sale- I've got a 2013 CBR250 that we want to part with (also in my signature).

Old 09-02-2016, 06:50 AM

Originally Posted by coalminer frank
Where are you at Nytrozula? JayBird, what tracks have you done?
I've done all 3 circuits at Summit Point (gotta get back to JC), ViR Patriot (my favorite) and I've done Streets of Willow with California Superbike School.

Old 09-02-2016, 05:18 PM

I've only ridden Summit Main and Shenandoah circuit. Got to go to Road Atlanta years ago when I raced. There are tons of new small cbr's on craigslist for extremely resonable prices.

Quick Reply: Track Days?