fuel pump not priming 04 cbr1000

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2011, 01:36 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default fuel pump not priming 04 cbr1000

when the bike was first purchased the tank was full of rust, so we treated it with "must for rust" copper bb's and shaking it like a T3 (trailer trash toddler) and rinsed it out throughly about 1 hour of shaking and 3 time of clearing it out. Before and after the bike ran perfectly fine, (before the exhaust looked like it was shooting out faint colored gray smoke (not really noticable til you stared at it) it cleared up completely once the tank was treated.

After a few months i took a spill after a SUV cut me off on the back roads, the bike was fixed, but in the meantime for about a month or two the tan was left outside, once we reinstalled it the fuel pump does not prime no sound no nothing and no signs of life

although with a voltage meter we were able to show signs of life in the connector.

The engine also spluttered on random occassion during higher rpm's in the past before the accident, Since the fuel pump ran with a rusted tank for a while, I'm pretty sure the filter/pump has gone very bad, should I just try to replace the whole fuel pump or just try replacing the filter first?

Old 06-26-2011, 10:41 AM
Senior Member & Lord of The Man Cave
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If the fuel pump doesn't prime when you turn the key on then there's a problem other than a clogged fuel filter. If you have absolutely verified that it is getting power to the fuel pump connector when you turn it on then the next thing downstream would be the fuel pump itself.

Old 06-26-2011, 01:06 PM

since you crased the bike, are the fairings off? The bank angle sensor is located in the middle of the headlights and needs to be hooked up in order to for the fuel pump to work. If its not hooked up, the pump will not work.

If the BAS is hooked up and in the correct orentation, I would by pass it. Unplug the BAS and take the two out wires on the 3 wire plug and connect them. This will bypass the sensor so you can test to see if thats the problem.

If that doesn't work, take a couple of lead wires and hook direct power to the fuel pump to see if works.

Also, before any of this, check the fuse. Also check the fuel pump relay and the fuel cut relay, engine stop switch and engine stop relay. All of these could prevent the fuel pump from working.

Last edited by justasquid; 06-26-2011 at 01:11 PM.
Old 06-26-2011, 11:07 PM

Originally Posted by justasquid
since you crased the bike, are the fairings off? The bank angle sensor is located in the middle of the headlights and needs to be hooked up in order to for the fuel pump to work. If its not hooked up, the pump will not work.

If the BAS is hooked up and in the correct orentation, I would by pass it. Unplug the BAS and take the two out wires on the 3 wire plug and connect them. This will bypass the sensor so you can test to see if thats the problem.

If that doesn't work, take a couple of lead wires and hook direct power to the fuel pump to see if works.

Also, before any of this, check the fuse. Also check the fuel pump relay and the fuel cut relay, engine stop switch and engine stop relay. All of these could prevent the fuel pump from working.
fairings are on, all the connectors are connected, and we used a voltameter to check power was getting to the fuel pump so we should have no problems with the fuses (i think?) I guess I could take the front fairing off to check if the connection came loose but we'll see. I think the last thing is to try is a new fuel pump, if anything else comes to mind let me know, I'm going to put in a order for a used one soon.

Old 06-26-2011, 11:28 PM

after a bit more research it seems possible that the bank angle sensor has gone bad, since after the accident the bike has to be shut off manually, but then the bike started fine after the wreck.... although there's a slight possibility that it was mounted upside down -_-; (is that possible on the cbr1000?)

Old 06-27-2011, 12:20 AM

well I checked and it was indeed mounted upside down.... I put it right side with the triangle pointed down, and still no luck (or sound of priming), although the battery is running a bit low but still turns ever so slowly... will try to bypass the bas tomorrow by jumping the two outside wires tomorrow. The thing that bugs me is that it worked fine even after the wreck and can't figure out anything now, although I did replace the rectifier when it was being fixed, so could a bad rectifier cause it from starting? even if the rectifier is bad it should still hear the sound of the fuel pump priming correct?

Last edited by kszx; 06-27-2011 at 12:34 AM.
Old 06-27-2011, 11:32 PM

I would charge your battery before you continue to diagnosis the issue.

A bad rectifier or stator will not prevent the bike from starting. You are correct in assuming the fuel pump should still work and it should still run even if the rectifier or stator were unplugged. These bikes run soley off the battery and the stator and rectifier only recharge the battery.

did you try direct power to the fuel pump? If that doesn't work, its going to be very obvious the pump is bad. If it does work, then you can continue searching for the issue.

I will say though, more times than not. Something didn't get hooked back up during the process of putting a bike back together. A single ground not re connected can create all sorts of issues. I'd double check all connections and switches to make sure they are good.