Anyone know the best sprocket sizes?

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2007, 03:35 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone know the best sprocket sizes?

I'm changing to a 520 setup with D.I.D. zvm2 chain and Vortex sprockets. I'm thinking of 15T on the front and 44T on the rear. Any different suggestions and why?

Old 08-13-2007, 05:54 PM
Default RE: Anyone know the best sprocket sizes?

I went to a 15 on the front and left the rear alone and love it! Gobs of tq and still lowish rpms for Hwy riding and a blazing never gonna hit it top end!(o.k., maby once... you just have to ya know?) WEEEE!

Old 08-13-2007, 06:49 PM
Registered Users

I just went with the 15/44 setup and I really like it. Way too much top end for me, I'd rather gear down and gain bottom end. I didn't do a 520 conversion though, still running the stock 530 chain. The front end gets very light with this gearing and if your going to do the 520 then it'll be even lighter.

Old 08-14-2007, 08:55 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

how much lighter does it really get with the 520 converstion

Old 08-14-2007, 02:34 PM

i never noticed an issue with mine

the 520 kit will make it spin up faster which means you are moving quicker sooner

if you are sitting straight up and leaning back then yes it will come up

if you are in a proper positition for that type of acelleration then you wont have an issue

normal good head on your shoulders riding and you wont have a problem

Old 08-15-2007, 08:57 AM

Wheeliit,

I went -1 on the front and left the rear alone..and Love It....I also stayed with the 530, as All i do is street riding and I do alot of wheelie a of such....

I didnt do the 520 conversion, because as a street rider and a wheelie addict, I dont think the mod would make that much of a difference, to overweigh easier stretching of chain? (520 easier to wear out, chain and sprockets)....for the bike that has done every last mod you can think off, and need that extra little tinny amount of power for the track then yes, get the 520, but for your everyday rider(street) I would stay with 530....last longer....

I didnt change the rear sprocket and stayed original size and it is alittle buzzy on the highway.....go -1 on the front and then ride around for a while and if you are still not happy Then just add a few teeth on the rear....remember that -1 on the front is the same as adding 2.7 on the rear......

Old 08-15-2007, 02:18 PM

This may be a dumb Noob question but how is going -1 on the front the same as adding 2.7 on the rear?

This would make it seem like adding 5 on the rear was almost the same as doing a -1 front and +2 rearconversion.

I would think adding 5 on the rear would slow the bike down off the line not speed it up right?

Old 08-15-2007, 03:00 PM

The Larger the sprocket in the rear or the smaller the sprocket in the front will make you bike quicker of the line but lower your top end. The closer you move your force or "chain" to the outside of your rim the lower the engine strain but higher the RPM's are required to rotate said tire. IE: a wrench on a bolt. If you tried to grab the bolt with just you fingers you cant turn it, but if you put a wrench on it, and move your force outside, the bolt turns easy. SIGH, sorry, I'm no teacher.. hope I didn't just confuse you more.

Old 08-15-2007, 03:13 PM

Well if you have a mountain bike, and pay attention to the different sprockets when you shift, the lower the gear you're in, the bigger the rear sprocket. It makes going up hill going really easy because it takes you less power to turn the wheel, although you're not really going that fast. So same concept on the bike, the bigger the rear sprocket, the less power it takes to rotate that rear wheel which makes it accelerate that much quicker. But you notice you take a hit in top speed.

Old 08-15-2007, 04:21 PM

I should of thought about it in terms of a bicycle sprocket. That makes sense.
It was just that the front sprocket now turns more revs to go a set speed and I didn't see that in the correct light.

How many more rpms do you have to turn for any given speedwhen dropping one front sprocket or two in the rear or both?

I am noticing this 2004 is geared really high in first. Somewhere around 78mph isonly around9500 rpm (And I get to go to 11650) and my 95 FZR1000 was topped out at 75mph in first (Hit rev limiter. 10500 was top rpm I think).
So maybe some previous owner did this before I bought it.

Do you pick up Torque or HP when this is done compared to stock? Or does this really change?

Quick Reply: Anyone know the best sprocket sizes?