2007 CBR1000RR vs. 2008 R1

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2008, 07:02 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2007 CBR1000RR vs. 2008 R1

After looking for two years at the RR, I have recently decided to go with the 08 R1, based almost purely on styling. I am so close to buying, but now I have done reading on the R1 which has filled me with doubts about it for a street bike. Here are the issues which concern me...

- the R1 apparently runs hotter than all other litre bikes. One review rider was in mid 40 degree weather and the fan started running and it felt like a "sauna"
- there is tall gearing and an almost complete lack of power beneath 4k, and no real useable power until 7k+. I am not a rider who likes to ride regularly in high rpms and with the increased vibration that goes with that.
- elbow clearance in the mirrors isn't as good as on the RR, from my first hand experience sitting on each
- the clipons on the R1 are a bit lower than the RR, even at 6'1"+ I wonder about comfort. It's not that bad, just worth noting.
- it's been noted in a review and by a user that the R1 windscreen is lacking in protection a bit
- the R1 passenger seat is even smaller than the RR and looks more uncomfortable. Then you have the exhaust's heat issue on top of that, which could be unbearable for them.

So those are the stumbling blocks for me. And when I think of the black RR I still have an option of buying, I don't have any concerns about it's performance on the street. I just have fallen in love with the look of the R1, and initially thought any differences would be minor. Can anyone with experience or knowledge of these two machines shed some light for me?

Confused,

Hudson

Old 03-07-2008, 07:19 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: 2007 CBR1000RR vs. 2008 R1

From the what ur saying it seems like ur leaning towards the CBR which with give you what seems to be lacking in the R1. It seems like u fell in love with the R1 but the afterthought is ..is really not giving you what you need/want to be comfortable with ur machine...

Old 03-07-2008, 08:10 PM
VP

I've always heard the R1 and R6s had difficulty in regular day to day driving because of the strange power band... I'll stick with my RR thanks... the new 08 (althought a big controversial) is already getting praise as the best japanese bike every built.

Old 03-07-2008, 08:24 PM

The clip-ons and windscreen can be altered to meet your standards. I also think the R1 is the best looking literbike - but the reason I went with the CBR was because it had the most power in the lower RPMs (and that is where I spend most of my time) and I have heard multiple complaints about how hot the R1 gets. I read about how one racer (from one of the magazines) requested a bag of ice to try to cool down his boot.

Neither bike is built with the passenger in mind, so I honestly wouldn't put much focus into that. The passenger is going to be uncomfortable on either bike.

The R1 is also reportedly better in the curves (transitioning), but the CBR was more stable. The CBR won me over and I have NEVER regretted my decision.

Good luck with your decision!

Old 03-07-2008, 10:12 PM

First of al, I think in general Honda always offer the best handling and second it also hold the value as the bike got age best as well. That's why I'm like one of only 4 out of almost 50 riders in my group end up w/ the 1KRR.

Old 03-08-2008, 12:20 AM

I was in the same boat over a year ago. I was shopping for a bike and was pretty much down to the R1 and RR, both 06 models. I ended up going with the Honda and don't regret it at all. I made my decision on the fact that Honda felt more comfortable, I'm 5'8". I also think that Honda has the best build quality for the Japanese made sportsbikes, which in the main reason why GSXR didn't even come to mind. I also think that although the R1 may transition alittle better, the RR is a very forgiving bike to ride. It just seems to be very stable in just about every situation. But to be truthful, nowadaysI think most of these machines are so close to each other performance wise, that it really comes down to looks and how well the bike fits you.

Old 03-08-2008, 05:31 AM

All good feedback guys, thanks. I have a hard decision to make. Lungfish, this was my thought as well, that they're so close it's down to ergonmics. They both feel good to me as a tall rider. But the issues just piled up: the heat, the mirrors, the lack of low power, windscreen, etc. None of which you have to deal with on the Honda. And certainly none of which I dealt with on my 954RR which I loved.

Onarom, there are a couple of things that can be done. I know I can go up one sprocket on the gearing. Not sure how much that would cost me, probably reasonable. Apparently the catalytic converter in the exhaust causes the heat issue, so I can buy a system without one, and people say it fixes the heat issue. The windshield thing I have not really looked into, nor can I yet know how bad it is I guess. What, though, can be done to raise the clipons?

Old 03-08-2008, 06:52 AM

One brand is called Helibar which will raise the clip-ons. Here is a link for the R1 click here at $300, its not exactly a cheap fix.

I reacently did a 520 chain and sprocket conversion on my bike. You can expect to spend around $200. I would also suggest a speedohealer if you are changing the gearing, which will run you another $100. I went -1 in the front and I love it!

I am glad the heat problem can be fixed. I will say that the R1 remains my second favorite bike. I really think that once you buy your bike (either one, it doesn't matter) that you will be happy with it. Just go with your gut feeling.

my final thought: your a good member of this forum and it would be a shame if you left.

Old 03-08-2008, 07:25 AM

Thanks for the link. I am looking into all the mods now. The R1 will cost me more, there's no doubt about that. Feels a bit shallow to buy it based on looks when I know it's not as well rounded. But that's where I am I guess.

Thanks for the nice comment. If I go R1 you never know when I may be back. I have loved honda since I got my 954 in '02. If they realise their 08 looks like crap, I could be back in 2010 or something. I honestly wish I could have also considered the '08 on top of the '07.

Old 03-08-2008, 07:58 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

good luck either dude...

Quick Reply: 2007 CBR1000RR vs. 2008 R1