CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

Why do you ride a Hurricane?

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2009, 08:06 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Why do you ride a Hurricane?

This morning I needed to go into work for a small task. As I pull my helmet off, a few of the guys on 3rd shift who are leaving, walk over to say hello. After a few jokes and wise cracks about my 96's black, gray and safety yellow paint scheme, one of the guys asked why I wasn't riding my VFR. Then the others chimed in and asked why I was riding the CBR so much. Then I asked myself that question on the way home and since I had nearly a hour to consider the question, this is what I came up with.
I bought a new 1986 Ninja 1000 back in the day. I did a ton of work on it and to be honest, she was pretty damn fast. A few of the guys I rode with were on 600s or 700s and got fed up so a couple of them bought 1000s. One guy bought a new 1985 VF1000R and the other bought a new 1988 Hurricane, black and red. Back then, I was all about Kawasaki and did my share of trash talking.
One night, for 12 hours, Steve (Hurricane) talked trash and decided we would race that morning. We prepped our bikes that morning and went to our special "test" road that had a two mile straight. Two out of three runs, I would jump past him out of the hole and up to 110 mph, he stayed right on my rear tire and then he would come past me like a missle carrying 5-8 mph. From there all I saw was tail lights and his bike was bone stock. I knew that one day I would own a Hurricane. I'm still looking for a mint black and red '88 and when finances allow, I will get one.
So that's my story of why I would rather throw my leg over a 13 year old "Cane" instead of a 2007 VFR. What's your story?
Ride safe, JD

Last edited by Honda Nut; 06-27-2009 at 08:09 AM.
Old 06-27-2009, 09:26 AM
Redcoat, & Maxwell's Silver Hammer, MVN and curmudgeon
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The old lady

she sits quietly, dignified in silence, waiting…
a picture in her colours, pretty as whatever you can imagine…
if we could know the stories only she could tell
the days of youth and speed, long runs flying through the morning cold, or into the lazy heat of sunset, adventures lost now to all save those who knew and loved her through the years.
She is older now, yet still has the power to draw young men which women would pay a king’s ransom to possess…..!
She waits for you. Or me, to whisper to her gently, bring her to life in an instant, and suddenly in her awakening all is not as it was…..
There is a menace in her stance which warns as many women do,
“mistreat or abuse me at your peril ! “ and she’s the one who can make it all right or wrong in a heartbeat, and you will pay dearly for any disrespect.
She growls a gentle warning like a predator to her cubs, but will bark and run at the least encouragement, to places where lines are blurred and the world becomes a tunnel, battered by sound. Where an insect has the power of a bullet,
and yet within all the noise there is a silence so profound that only those who have been there can describe it.
We return her to her home, to be pampered as any woman should be, and cared for as she cools with musical tinkling sounds.
And once again, patiently, she waits……

Old 06-27-2009, 09:45 AM

Didnt really know when I decided to buy one. Had a couple other bikes which I sold and wanted something that I could tour with the lady now and then. Did all the research and for the price this bike got the thumbs up from every motorcycle review for a second hand bike. Wasnt till I bought one that I realised I had just bought 2 bikes in one. GO hard on my own or cruise two up. What ever the reason I just enjoy riding this old girl. If honda were to remanufacture them again (yeh right) I wouldnt hesitate to buy another one.

Old 06-27-2009, 09:57 AM
Default why do i?

hi guys and girls, new to this site but not to bikes or the cbr`s. i ride them because they are fast,fun,fully equiped and ultra reliable. what more do you want from a bike? great site btw and lots of info

Old 06-27-2009, 10:15 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well Shadow you have surpassed yourself (if thats your own work ), very poetic and very true.
Mine is not quite as poetic, its more like Raymonds story.
A few years back (late 80's) a friend of mine bought one nearly new,I gave him the usual stick about a plastic jelly mold weighing the same as a family car and then thought no more of it.
Last year I needed cheap transport for work and like Raymond read up on all the reviews on biggish bikes and the cane won hands down on everything else, I had my heart set on a Kawazaki 1000RX but to get a good one was like trying to find rocking horse poo. So in the end I settled for a '90CBRF in red white and blue, what a fool I had been for mocking my mate and not buying one sooner
They are a true classic in every sense, I have got a Z900 as well and the thing is an animal, its a big toothed nasty beastie that will try to put you in casualty every time you ride it but it still gets the status of a jap classic that every body wants, give me a CBRF any day, its quicker smoother, quieter,has brakes that work and a frame without a hinge in the middle and can still pull a crowd (allbeit a smaller one than the Zed)
I want another one

Old 06-27-2009, 10:19 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi Jim, pop into the Saloon and introduce yourself mate

Old 06-27-2009, 10:23 AM

Hi guys I bought mine back in November. Have wanted one for a long time. Out of all the sports bike I have sat on or riden they are the most comfortable. Since I bought mine in a sad state I paid little for it. It had been looked after mechanically but bodily it had been savaged. Slowly I am getting it back to looking how it should. This takes time and love. It gets that and some cos it's such a great bike to ride. I have had a lot of bikes over the last 30 years and its up there with the best. I have the best of all worlds now as I have acar for bad weather a GL1500 and trailor for long distance touring and camping and the CBR 1000FJ for fun when I have a need for speed and thrills. Can't ask for in life accept to win the lottery

Old 06-27-2009, 10:59 AM
Administrator, MVN / ROTM NOV 2012
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default After 20 + years outta the saddle

Well it was like this. At my work place one of the cops had this beautiful machine I now own. He'd ride it in 2 or 3 times a week and park it in the
alley way between the two main buildings I work out of. Every time he did
that I 'd find myself just spending 20 minutes here 20 minutes there just looking it over and drooling at the sight of it. I stalked her like that for the
better part of 2 years........it was a sickness and it troubled me like nothing else ever did.

Then one morning last year outta the blue the owner says, wanna buy it ?
I took her for a spin and then I ran for my check book an' owned it 10 minutes later. 2k

That's why I now ride a Hurricane.

Later that evening the missus was just thrilled about the new purchase
but then was very quiet almost silent about it for a couple of weeks or was it months ! Can't remember ...................

Last edited by Sprock; 06-27-2009 at 03:47 PM. Reason: added price
Old 06-27-2009, 12:56 PM

7 Years ago I didn't go to buy my CBR or a bike, my bro wanted to go look at some ex army Can am's and Harley's, we walked in this shed and in the corner was a bike covered up with a sheet which looked to me like a CBR.

On talking to the guy who owned Force Motorcycles (sells ex service bikes) I found out she was Ex Derbyshire Police and had been prepped for a guy to pick up but his finances fell through.

So the haggling commenced from £2250 to £1700 as a trade sale and she was mine nearly caused divorce tho'

Old 06-27-2009, 01:06 PM

Originally Posted by sawnee
Hi Jim, pop into the Saloon and introduce yourself mate
have done just that buddy, more to come ...........

Quick Reply: Why do you ride a Hurricane?