CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

When it rains... it pours...

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2012, 07:11 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default When it rains... it pours...

So, the wife & I were visiting my mom. It was raining out and after about 4 hours or so it turned out the solid surface I thought I had parked on.. wasn't so solid. The CBRs kickstand sunk and the bike fell over onto my wifes SV650. It snapped off the plastic above the headlight aswell as broke my beloved windscreen in half.

Fast forward a week. I have repaired the damage and went ahead with a plan I've had for about 2 years and coated the plastics with truck bed liner. Also got stranded one day because the bike wouldn't restart after a refuel stop. Turned out all of the fluid from the battery had leaked out.

Fast forward a day and a half, its Thanksgiving (Happy Belated Thanksgiving to you all and an early Merry Christmas aswell) and my sister-in-laws boyfriend wants to go out early black Friday shopping. Told him it'd be impossible in this town, and I was correct. I was low speed riding through a Walmart parking lot search for a space when out of nowhere the bike hickups (backfires?) and immediately after starts running horribly. Can't keep it idling for anything.

Fast forward to today, after dealing with hard starts, poor idling and rpm hangs I've decided that somethings up with the carbs causing them to be lean. Pull them off and play with the slides/pistons. #2 drops instaintly, rest slowly drop. Pull the cap and the diaphram is cracked in a ton of places.

So now my question, I've pulled the other diaphrams 3 out of the 4 need repairs/replacement. #2 id like to replace but parts stores are showing $138 for the whole slide. I found a vendor on ebay that is selling just the diaphram for $20. (Part #s match) Is it possible to replace just the diaphram? If so how do I get it off.... I'm afraid ill break the "cap" if I pry. I'm going to attempt to coat the other diaphrams in plasti-dip since they're not as bad.

Thanks for the help in advance.

Old 11-28-2012, 09:28 PM
Administrator, MVN / ROTM NOV 2012
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Don't use plastic dip they'll stiffen up and won't work right - why not find a second
set of carbs cheap on Ebay ?

There's a pretty healthy selection to chose from right now

sort high to low

Also what year is your bike again ? I have an ever growing collection of carbs
out in the garage - chances are - lol - I can find you some complete slide assemblies
if you are interested PM me

Old 11-30-2012, 05:16 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have used plasti dip on many bikes with good results. Thought I'd give it a shot and see. If it didn't work I'd buy the new diaphragms but never did buy new. I painted it on with an artist brush and it worked grand. I think it's a cheap fix worth a shot.

Old 12-01-2012, 08:09 PM

Good thing you don't live over here in the Big Freezer then eh ?

Old 12-01-2012, 09:28 PM

Couple of questions if someone doesn't mind answering. What's the easiest way to get the intake manifold/boots off, that's 1 source of my leaks. Would the air cleaner lacking a filter cause any problems? I'm not refering to the air filter but the air cleaner that sits above the valve cover and ties into the vacuum chambers.

Old 12-02-2012, 02:41 AM

They just simply pull out and seal them up with silicone or upon installation and the
breather filter that would not make any difference to operation of the slides or
diaphragms other than over time drawing crap and dirt into them - so I'd find one for it
for the long term.

Old 12-02-2012, 08:12 AM

Honda put those clamps in an impossible spot, didn't they. Seem to have cured the leaks. Jets, bowls & passages are cleared. She's idling again but still having an issue with ramping up in RPM very quickly with choke on full while cold. 3 of the diaphrams seem to be good to go. That 1 I've been worried about is probably the reason. When the choke is applied it opens up a passage that leads behind the butterflies right to apply a vacuum to the chamber enrichening the mixture. If one wasn't opening it'd still draw fuel from the pilot making it run lean, would that make the rpms ramp so fast, 1 cylinder being lean?

Old 12-02-2012, 07:22 PM

Mine does that - ramp up quick when left with the choke on - you can cut that a bit
by turning in the pilots a quarter - but it'll still do it somewhat

How doe it idle with choke off and fully warmed up ? is it consistent and smooth ?

Your main needles and jets have no real bearing on things at idle - it's all pilots !

Old 12-03-2012, 11:54 PM
Redcoat, & Maxwell's Silver Hammer, MVN and curmudgeon
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Mine does it too on the choke - to me it means the bike is warm enough to drop the choke a bit.

Old 12-04-2012, 09:45 AM
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by CorruptMind
She's idling again but still having an issue with ramping up in RPM very quickly with choke on full while cold.
That's what mine does also. I kill the choke at that point. Its still not warm but the choke comes off if its still in the driveway. If I'm going to ride it just after it ramps up, I have to finagle the choke lever so that I am actually getting some richness but not reving. Once moving the choke comes off.

I finagle the choke a bit so that it doesn't stumble and cause me to dump the bike at low speed.

Quick Reply: When it rains... it pours...