CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

What have you done to your CBR 1000f today?

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2015, 07:42 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I missed my old girl! A gremlin got loose in the electronics on my 5am commute on the K1300S. Water temp went full scale and had big red "!" on the dash. That lasted about 5 seconds and the was replaced with a "Brake Fail" message 2 seconds later. A power cycle cleared the anomaly. Old school analog makes me happy!

Old 09-18-2015, 12:40 AM
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Ah yes , good old BM electrical issues . Makes your warning lights obsolete because you get in the habit of ignoring them .

Old 09-18-2015, 11:25 AM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by cb2cbr
I missed my old girl! A gremlin got loose in the electronics on my 5am commute on the K1300S. Water temp went full scale and had big red "!" on the dash. That lasted about 5 seconds and the was replaced with a "Brake Fail" message 2 seconds later. A power cycle cleared the anomaly. Old school analog makes me happy!
Progress, apparantly. Old school always makes sense.

Old 09-19-2015, 01:34 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sold my bike today

Sold my bike today got more than I paid for is, the bike is 28 years old sad to see her go need a tourer now for the wife to join me on my rides

This type of thread seems to be a common one on some of the other moto websites I frequent so I thought I'd start one here. I always seem to be interested in what wrenching others are up to be it mods, reg maintenance,
R & R, etc.

So, what have you done?

[/QUOTE]

Old 09-27-2015, 12:29 PM
Default A place for a clock, finally.

Not sure about newr models of the CBR, but the lack of a clock is a pain, so searching ebay, I came across this one. What a result....until it comes adrift, but it sits nicely, and actually looks the part. What do you recon ?

Attached Thumbnails What have you done to your CBR 1000f today?-win_20150927_174349.jpg  
Old 09-28-2015, 07:38 PM
Super Moderator
Received 29 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by bullroarer
Not sure about newr models of the CBR, but the lack of a clock is a pain, so searching ebay, I came across this one. What a result....until it comes adrift, but it sits nicely, and actually looks the part. What do you recon ?

I like it! I do miss a clock when riding and that looks a good solution.

Well done!

Cheers, SB

Old 09-29-2015, 01:30 PM
Senior Member & tensioner mod inventor ROTM WINNER FEB 2013

I like that too. Very discrete. The only reason it wouldn't work for me is that I have a stem mount for my iPhone which serves as clock, satnav and general source of info and the odd phone call. I wouldn't want to be without that now. There are time when a permanent clock would just be plain nice to have though. I'll get round to something one day but that's a good job Bull. Thanks for sharing.
H

Old 09-29-2015, 01:42 PM
Senior Member & tensioner mod inventor ROTM WINNER FEB 2013
Default This weekend...

I've just ordered a shed load of necessary parts which are going to get inserted this weekend.
I've got a blown header pipe seal on No.1 which I have managed to shut up for now by tightening up a bit more (eek!). I'm going back to the old fashioned copper rings after fitting the compressive aluminium ones last time. Not using them again!
New cam chain, tensioner overhaul (with Mk2 mod which none of you really know about yet),check tappets, rear brake calliper mounting bolts and bushes, renew brake piston seals etc. A thorough overhaul.
She's still running like a trooper, shrinking time and distance on every run. She's 63 thousand miles old now. Only seems like yesterday that I bought it with 14 thou on the clock. Still can't think of a bike I'd rather own for everyday, go anywhere (except off road) use.
After 15 months of recovery since my surgical nightmares of last year, it's good to be feeling strong enough to enjoy being in the saddle again.
I've missed the forum banter.....
H

Old 09-29-2015, 02:08 PM

Originally Posted by HenryM
I've just ordered a shed load of necessary parts which are going to get inserted this weekend.
I've got a blown header pipe seal on No.1 which I have managed to shut up for now by tightening up a bit more (eek!). I'm going back to the old fashioned copper rings after fitting the compressive aluminium ones last time. Not using them again!
New cam chain, tensioner overhaul (with Mk2 mod which none of you really know about yet),check tappets, rear brake calliper mounting bolts and bushes, renew brake piston seals etc. A thorough overhaul.
She's still running like a trooper, shrinking time and distance on every run. She's 63 thousand miles old now. Only seems like yesterday that I bought it with 14 thou on the clock. Still can't think of a bike I'd rather own for everyday, go anywhere (except off road) use.
After 15 months of recovery since my surgical nightmares of last year, it's good to be feeling strong enough to enjoy being in the saddle again.
I've missed the forum banter.....
H
Hey Henry. I wonder how many of our bikes are loved like ours. It seems that most have rotted away beyond economic repair. The lucky lot in the U S of A and Australia, do not know of the perils we have in our damp, salt, corroding air. No doubt we will keep ours going no matter what.

Old 09-29-2015, 03:26 PM
Super Moderator
Received 29 Likes on 20 Posts

And good on you UK lot for doing so.

Yep, Australia and some other sunny, dry, no salted roads countries will allow us to keep many bikes on the road decades after their use-by-date.

Cheers, SB

PS: Very happy to hear you're back in the saddle and enjoying it Henry.

Quick Reply: What have you done to your CBR 1000f today?