CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

what else can cause clutch slippage at high rpm

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2010, 02:52 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what else can cause clutch slippage at high rpm

im sorry first off about posting two new posts about the same part but at first i thought i needed a new clutch then i took the time to measure all the clutch plates and springs thicknesses with a micrometer and i found out that the clutch plates all measure about 3.71-3.79 which is almost new and they dont need replased until 3.1 also the springs height at rest was a new spec as well. all the metals are almost perfect except on a couple plates there are a few very small blue dots which is where they got hot but there not warped and they even still have the dimples all over the steels. also the two little springs steel things that go on with the plates look fine also. i am just at a loss the clutch grabs great until it hits about 7-8k then its like you pulled in the clutch slightly. another time when you notice the clutch slip is when your high in the rpms and you shift into the next gear it takes forever to ingauge it just slips until you completly let off the throttle and let it grab. has anyone had this problem if so plzz help

thanks
james

Old 06-26-2010, 04:51 PM

honestly i think im having the same problem, but i thought it was my clutch plates due to the previous owner trying to wheelie all the time.

Old 06-26-2010, 10:19 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Could have had car oil used in it at some stage and stuffed the plates. Springs could be just old and not strong enough any more. A mechanic once told me to rub the metal plates on a concrete floor to roughen them up slightly (then wash them of course!). That's all I can think of ATM.

Old 06-27-2010, 02:09 AM
Redcoat, & Maxwell's Silver Hammer, MVN and curmudgeon
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by davethepom
Could have had car oil used in it at some stage and stuffed the plates. Springs could be just old and not strong enough any more. A mechanic once told me to rub the metal plates on a concrete floor to roughen them up slightly (then wash them of course!). That's all I can think of ATM.
Dave is spot on as usual...........
Only other thing someone may have done is put an oil additive in it which contains teflon - if so, throw the plates away and buy new ones.

Old 06-27-2010, 02:21 AM

Originally Posted by Shadow
Dave is spot on as usual...........
Only other thing someone may have done is put an oil additive in it which contains teflon - if so, throw the plates away and buy new ones.
Thanks for the compliment Pete. New plate kits (with springs) are pretty cheap really. I've used Goodridge kits in a few bikes and have never had a drama, there's loads of others I'm sure. Since we've got hydraulic clutches, most clutch problems can only be plates, springs or air in the lines. Any nasty noises would be a worn basket (and nobody wants one of those).

Old 06-27-2010, 11:09 AM

but i measured my clutches and springs and they were all like new specs and i had the right oil in it too

Old 06-27-2010, 04:14 PM

Originally Posted by happy_charly
but i measured my clutches and springs and they were all like new specs and i had the right oil in it too
How long have you had the bike?
Did it gradually start to do this or was it sudden?
My thoughts are maybe a previous owner ran car oil and the plates have soaked it up (as they do). The only other thing I can suggest is to give the steel plates a bit of a roughen up. The mechanic told me to just do a few small figure 8s on a concrete floor just to take the shine off them, rinse them and install as normal.

Mine was starting to slip at high revs, full power so I just changed the plates and springs. I can't think of anything else to suggest..sorry mate.

Old 06-27-2010, 04:39 PM

i was thinking is there any way that i could shim the springs to put more tension on the plates

Old 06-27-2010, 05:23 PM
Thumbs up

I'd say the plates have to be contaminated, high MPG automotive additives or they have a glaze from high rev slipping. Your shifts at high revs with the slipping generates heat pretty fast. The only way it will grab in that condition is to let off the gas. Spring height is not completely telling. Good quality springs still only have a certain service life. The steel will fatique and loose some push. The accurate way is to displace,(squeeze) the spring to a known length and compare the force needed against a know good one.
If it's possible a prior owner put some cheap aftermarket clutch kit in or the wrong oil it's time for a change. Shimming springs may mess with the normal clutch engagement point and distance making it tough to work smoothly.
If you are this far, put a new set of friction plates and springs in. Any steel plates that are discolored from heat I would replace too. Do it right the first time and save yourself the teeth nashing.

Old 06-27-2010, 06:45 PM

yea the only problem is im trying to get through till august then ill buy a kevelar racing kit but im short on funds at the moment i did notice that the plates and steels are almost glass smooth so i roughed up both surfaces and cleaned, soaked, and scrubbed with a toothbrush then throughly dried everything off and as of right now they are sitting in a ziplock bag of the correct oil.

Quick Reply: what else can cause clutch slippage at high rpm