CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

What does it feel like when your steering bearings start to wear

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2011, 03:14 AM
Redcoat, & Maxwell's Silver Hammer, MVN and curmudgeon
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Couldn't agree more.

Just RIDE THE THING

If something's broke, she'll tell you...............

Old 05-29-2011, 05:27 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good thoughts Steve! It's easy to let a minor quirk get inside your head and annoy the crap out of you every time you ride.

In this case, I'd also think that it's a front / rear alignment problem or maybe the forks are twisted slightly in the yolks?? Worst case would be a bent frame or forks but I wouldn't go down that road unless it was trying to kill me every time I rode.

Old 06-07-2011, 05:10 PM
Senior Member & tensioner mod inventor ROTM WINNER FEB 2013
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Blimey!
I get back from holiday, rub my over tanned eyelids and what do I see?
Captain Classic, King of the one liners has learnt to write in joined ups and has nearly filled a page of A4 in legible writing without any spelling mistakes. Not only that but it all, every single damned word of it, makes absolute sense.
Whilst sitting on our little mountain top paradise in the sun I did wonder from time to time if perhaps my sanity is not all it should be. I mostly forgot about the rest of the world, life, even breathing some days.
Then I log back in here low and behold my question has been answered. I'm a mental wreck, deluded, bewildered, psychotic!
Steve, your efforts have not been wasted.
The last two days riding, even before I read your words have confirmed that I should stop worrying. It's all good again. Much better even!
I think rather than adjusting the tyre pressures I should have checked the pressure in my head first. Obviously too high.
A week in the sun. The best bike maintenance money can buy.

PS. I did take the bike to the local shop before I went away. The mechanic grabbed his lid and took her for a spin round the block.
He came back and said "I can't fell anything wrong. Got anything heavy in your top box"?
I realised that on the way to work that morning I'd had some real heavy crap in there. Much more load than usual. I thanked him for his time (free of charge) and rode home felling like a bit of a ****.
Yeah.... I'll check the alignment, springs, oil..... but really, I should know better than taking the anvil to work on the back of the bike. Dumb ***!
Thanks Steve. You're so wise. Hope you get more time to ride. That ranch of yours must be nearly done now surely.
Pete, did you say something?

Old 06-07-2011, 09:58 PM

Just this our Enry
1 Welcome back !
2 I have never adjusted my idler shaft
3 I've never done the valves
4 I've not had the carbs apart except for lower gaskets
Mileage - 62000 or 100000 K's.
I run it on diesel oil
I've given up replacing camchains and tensioners.

I fix it if it breaks. I give it new oil, filters, brakepads, tyres and plugs when needed.
I did a chain and sprockets, once............and some wheel bearings.
She goes to a bike shop for tyres only because fitting and balancing is free with new ones.
She's ALWAYS clean.

Message for Steve.
"shove some Wynn's injector cleaner through the carbs" @3x concentrate for 1 tank.
1 bike will run better
2 Clanking from camchain will reduce.
3 Carry a small copy of the "King James Version" for the rest

Thus endeth the lesson.

Old 06-09-2011, 08:02 AM
Senior Member & tensioner mod inventor ROTM WINNER FEB 2013

I know you're feeling a bit tender at the moment Steve-o, understandably.
I meant what I said though. Your words are spot on.

I'd like to add also that while I was away I got a chance to do a bit of reading, a real rarity for me. I got through 3 bike mags and part of a book. The bike mags had a lot of tips about riding position. On my first ride I experimented with some of the suggestions and low and behold, simple little things really made a big difference to my riding. Position of feet on pegs, slightly more bend in arms, bar grip etc etc. I guess I'd just got lazy.
In future though if I have any handling related problems I'll always start the trouble shooting by taking a look at how I ride, rather than mechanical faults.

Pete, thanks for your sage words too. Wise as always.
I feel as though there may be a bit of a backlash against maintenance building on the back of this thread, or perhaps it's time we started 'What haven't you done to your CBR today'.
Thanks all!

Old 06-09-2011, 09:29 AM

Quote there may be a bit of a backlash against maintenance

I don't see it as backlash our 'Enry, more a statement about how those of us who ride 24/7/365 and don't have an "off season" where all you can do is maintain your bike deal with the problems. I hate having my bike off the road - it makes me really ratty- gawd knows what I'd be like in the northern US or Greenland (hallo Hagbard}

Also I believe that a helluva lot of maintenance is done for the sake of it - more something to do when " 'er upstairs" is ratarsed and it's the best therapy there is if you can't ride.

I will never advocate dropping maintenance standards, but I do believe
"If it isn't broken, don't fix it" More often than not you end up doing more harm than good. (this I know to be true)

But a true biker is always tinkering - and while I wouldn't say I'm not as guilty as many others, it's more for the love of it than the real need.
I've had my share of problems, as you know well, but in reality the bike has stopped working twice in 84000 K's, both with the same problem, and I still got it to where I was going, albeit with a bit of delay and swearing. Both electrical, battery related.
Gawd I wish you could check battery water without having to pull the damned thing out !!
So, a bit long winded but I'm sure you get my drift.
(also as you get older, a night out in a shed in the winter isn't my idea of fun anymore)
I can see Steve-o grinning and nodding as I write. Cheer up son, it'll be good again.

Old 06-09-2011, 03:34 PM
Senior Member & Lord of the Odometer (300,000 Mles) & Counting

Hey:

Well Shadow, here is your answer to your battery problems, a sealed AGM battery @ a good price. Now you have taken out that weak link too.

UTX14AHL YTX14AHL-BS YB14L-A2 Ducati Motorcycle Battery | eBay

They used to sell them for $27.00 and $16.00 USD shipping in the states, the same as dealer cost only to the public.
They were the best deal going for a AGM battery with 1 yr warranty

Dub

Last edited by CBR1988; 06-09-2011 at 03:40 PM.

Quick Reply: What does it feel like when your steering bearings start to wear