Alternator coil upgrade -Waiting on link
Steering stem bearing to tapered bearing -Pmcg
Replace coil Packs with Sticks
RR Upgrade
EBT HH Brake Pads
good rubber -Sprock
chain and sprockets -Sprock
reupholster Seat -Sprock
Screen - for me always an MRA of one type or another - good German engineering -Sprock
Controls - Grips of choice - & for me adjustable bars -Sprock
Mirrors: get extensions or extendable mirrors -Sprock
AfterMarket Front Springs calculator -Hawkwind/Pmcg
AfterMarket rear damper -Hawkwind

MK1:

MK2:
180's on rear -Sprock

MK3:
180's on rear-Sprock

Recommended Upgrades after purchasing:

ALL Models:
Replace coil Packs with Sticks
good rubber - As per Sprock
chain and sprockets - As per Sprock
Screen - for me always an MRA of one type or another - good German engineering -Sprock
Controls - Grips of choice - & for me adjustable bars -Sprock
Mirrors: get extensions or extendable mirrors -Sprock

MK1:

MK2:

MK3:

Recommended Downgrade before selling:

__________________________________________________ ________________________________

OK guys in response to the next post (I'm trying to separate it as the info will be added here if all goes according to plan) and because It's something I would like for reference when and if I do repairs, I'm starting this thread to try and gather all the info on upgrades that should be done while making repairs. IOW If I own a MK1 (which I do) and I need to rebuild or replace a part then which parts should I replace with newer (MK2/Mk3...Other makes/models or after Market?) as opposed to a straight stock swap.

So what I ask for you guys is to add any upgrades/mods that are not stock that you would do when you make repairs (or even when you first buy the bike). Everything you can think of even tire size. anything that is not a straight stock 1 for 1 replacement.

Now I may not be the person for this thread so don't expect too much as I am no expert on the Hurricane and only started working on my own bike recently (I have been a car Wrencher for 32 years).

Off the top of my head all that comes to mind for my part is as follows.

Last edited by Hueristic; 09-21-2012 at 07:41 PM. Reason: Updating list
Old 09-09-2012, 10:22 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I upgraded my front brake lines to Stainless Steel with a Double banjo. I hated the junction block/steel crossover tube. I left the rear stock as I heard it makes it too sensitive.

I also upgraded the steering stem bearing to a tapered bearing. I wouldn't change it if it doesn't need it but I would never put stock back in.

Old 09-09-2012, 10:22 PM
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Moved to this thread:

Originally Posted by Naga_Thai
Hi Hueristic

My input re your post in 3 parts ...

"
My 88 heats up a bit in traffic on brutal days so I can see why they did some redesigns.
"
Unfortunately, all Series 1 to 3 get hot in traffic. The head design change emanated from a desire for more horsepower from a redesigned combustion chamber - during this change they had to move the "cooling out" ports. < Then they relocated the "radiator cap block" to accommodate etc etc >
OK so this is common on all models? So my next question is what heads will fit what models and what would be the optimum combination? If I need to replace my Mk1 should I use a Mk2 or Mk3?

"
what is the best cooling solution? If the op has multiple blocks he should setup the best method, yes?
".... I think there are other issues here with this particular "Block" situation. But having said that, there are other practical considerations when suggesting moving from a Series 1 cooling setup to a Series 2-3 setup. For example, issues regarding mounting of and difference in radiator cap block, the coil mounting is different, the fuel tank underside is different to allow alternate cable routing .... So, in short - anything is engineeringly possible ... but it is not a straight swap.
With the Coil stick upgrade would that free up enough room for the above question's answer to change?

"
is there a thread for recommended upgrades by year when doing maintenance? I.E. Things like the stator upgrade? If not that is a sticky that would be most welcome
"
Good idea. You have a Series 1, don't you? Why not start the thread for the Series 1 with your suggestions and let others add theirs? Unfortunately, I don't have a Series 1 and am merely an informed observer.
Yeah I knew I was dropping my neck in a noose with this one but seeing all your great DIY I can't say no.

I have other questions as well so I might as well put them here.

I read the carburetors will not fit do to the brackets not lining up but will the newer carbs just bolt up to the older brackets and would that be a worthwhile upgrade? Or should we look to another carb to upgrade to if we need replacement carbs? I don't even know what year Fuel injection started in bikes. :icon-doh:

It seems like every system has changed over these iterations. brakes,body... I think this list is going to get very long.

Old 09-09-2012, 10:28 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by pmcg
I upgraded my front brake lines to Stainless Steel with a Double banjo. I hated the junction block/steel crossover tube. I left the rear stock as I heard it makes it too sensitive.

I also upgraded the steering stem bearing to a tapered bearing. I wouldn't change it if it doesn't need it but I would never put stock back in.
Thanks this is exactly the info I'm looking for except I don't know what bike you have (I think I remember it being Mk1). My memory is horrib;e these days.

So Is this correct?

MK1 upgrade on steering stem bearing to tapered bearing

Or would this be for all models? And do you have a link to the bearing?

Also Input from the forum is these are two things that should be added to the list. They sound reasonable to me but what do I know? The 2 I added might not be good idea's (If they are not tell me).

OK too much typing I need a break for awhile.

Old 09-09-2012, 10:33 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

MK1 is correct. Tapered bearings for all years.

Old 09-10-2012, 03:29 AM
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Go Heuristic! Your on a roll!!!

Go Heuristic! Your on a roll!!!
Well done mate - you've got the team behind you now!!

Old 09-10-2012, 08:45 AM
Senior Member and Montana roustabout :)

Thanks for taking the time to do this Hueristic

Old 09-10-2012, 03:39 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by pmcg
MK1 is correct. Tapered bearings for all years.
Do you have a link to the bearings for the list?

Go HUEristic! Your on a roll!!!
Well done mate - you've got the team behind you now!!
Thx. BTW "I" before "E" except after "C" and "U" before "E" when referring to me!

Originally Posted by montana.matt
Thanks for taking the time to do this Hueristic
No problemo.

Lets go guys get them in here!

tires, exhaust, brake pads.....

Old 09-11-2012, 08:26 PM
Administrator, MVN / ROTM NOV 2012
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well my fine RI friend for me in this order for any HurryCane

good rubber (the first rule of any new relationship)
chain and sprockets - also for a smoother ride !
Seat - reupholster or get a custom corbin or sargent or in PCMG;s case phone a friend
Screen - for me always an MRA of one type or another - good German engineering
Controls - Grips of choice - & for me adjustable bars of some sort especially for old
-------------Geezers ' 'cept Shadow he's a different kind of Old Geezer
Mirrors: get extensions or extendable mirrors unless you are built like the
----------"Atomic Fist" aka Pee Wee Herman
Pegs : Buell Mod or equivalent - again for bigger/taller older Geezers
Warmers : all sorts - bar warmers, jackets , etc - personally I dont use them dont
-------------need to

Last edited by Sprock; 09-11-2012 at 09:52 PM.
Old 09-11-2012, 09:53 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Sprock
Well my fine RI friend for me in this order

good rubber (the first rule of any new relationship)
Size and brand and why plz. Links as well if you don't mind.

Also I'm assuming this is for all Models? If not plz specify other wise.

chain and sprockets - also for a smoother ride !
A change in the sprocket or stock? Link? Any specific chain/sprocket combo?

Seat - reupholster or get a custom corbin or sargent or in PCMG;s case phone a friend
I noticed you great re-upholster job! Hate you now. Do you recommend this for all Makes? I have never ridden a Mk2 or 3 but the Seats look thinner on them? On the Mk1 It's the same as my old Cb700Sc's which I loved (not much style but kept my butt cheeks padded).

Screen - for me always an MRA of one type or another - good German engineering
I'm guessing all models again? and link? It took me far too many hours to revive my screen and I still have a spot that must be discolored right through.

Controls - Grips of choice - & for me adjustable bars of some sort especially for old
-------------Geezers ' 'cept Shadow he's a different kind of Old Geezer
I certainly need new grips and I don't know about the newer models but on the Mk1 the lousy plastic grips are horrible! Any recommendations?

Mirrors: get extensions or extendable mirrors unless you are built like the
----------"Atomic Fist" aka Pee Wee Herman
Yeah I noticed even though I'm not big I have top lean in the other direction to see past my shoulder. Also any recommended links?

Pegs : Buell Mod or equivalent - again for bigger/taller older Geezers
Warmers : all sorts - bar warmers, jackets , etc - personally I dont use them dont
-------------need to this is one Paddy with plenty of padding
Lol yeah I'm thinking of extending my legs and I'm only 6' so you tall guys must be seriously cramped! But I don't think this should be added to the list as it's not global but size specific.

Thanks for the great List man. Please give me more info On the questions I have and I'll update the OP with them.

Quick Reply: Upgrade Paths for the CBR1000f