CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

Un....believable

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2016, 03:17 PM
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Un....believable

I put on a set of Michelin Pilot Road 4 GT's during the week. I used the zip tie method, and have to say it worked out pretty well. While things were apart, I cleaned and lubed up the guide pins on the front calipers, so more sticking caliper. Also pulled the plugs, cleaned and gapped them. I use Ride On Tire Sealant in my rides, because I commute quite often and don't want to get stranded miles from home. It also balances the wheels nicely without weights. So I get it all together this morning, and take it for a short ride down the alley. I get maybe 150 feet down the alley, and hear that unmistakable "pop" of something hard and nasty between the tire and the road. I stop immediately, and see a screw sticking out of my brand new rear tire!! @#$%^&*!! I could not believe it! The Ride On did seal the tire, but not completely because you're supposed to ride about 5 miles to warm up the tires and spread the sealant out. I hear air leaking out slowly, so I get it home and look at it closer. Yes, it definitely punctured the tire all the way through, about 1.5 off the centerline. I am so pissed off. A brand new tire. Unbelievable. I decided to try a plug. I know, I know...many of you will say a plug is too dangerous. Especially if riding fast (I don't). Others will say it's fine. I'm going to watch it closely and monitor tire pressure carefully. If I see any signs of leak, I will replace it.

Old 05-14-2016, 10:49 PM
Very Honorable Most Senior Member :)
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ouch! My condolences.

I have used plugs on four-wheeled vehicles in the past with no trouble, but would be somewhat reluctant to do so on a bike except as an emergency repair in the middle of nowhere. Losing 25% of your wheels at speed isn't too bad, but 50%? That's happened and it's a little spooky, even if it's a fairly slow leak. A friend spent quite a bit of time recuperating after a front went flat quickly at 70 mph.

Your plan to keep a real close watch on tire pressure is a good one. Biting the bullet and buying a new tire is an even better plan.

Just my opinion, others may disagree.

Old 05-15-2016, 04:03 AM
Welcome Crew
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Bugger, I am with Dram, never skimp on tyres or brakes, you do not want to be worrying about either when you really need them.

Old 05-15-2016, 08:44 AM
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by jarvid
Bugger, I am with Dram, never skimp on tyres or brakes, you do not want to be worrying about either when you really need them.
I'd add the chain to that list

Old 05-15-2016, 10:50 AM
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

I have used plugs many times. I don't take the tire all the way down with a plug in it.

Option 2: Put a tube it it for the life of the tire.

I like option 1 because I'd rather have a slow leek from a plug rather than a fast leak from a tube.

I have had a tube go on a bike that I had lied all the way down just before hitting a steel decked bridge. All hell broke loose when I up righted and hit the bridge during strong winds. SCARY! I would have had a warning with a plug or crossed the bridge and started to feel the tire starting to go. Still, it takes a day or so for a leaking plug to drain down.

I would not plug a front tire however.

Old 05-18-2016, 07:11 AM

So far so good. The tire is holding pressure. I check it before heading out in the morning, and again before heading home. It's holding well. But, I will always keep an eye on it. I have to say the heavy beast handles SOOO much better with these new tires...it's night and day compared to before.

Old 10-04-2016, 12:27 PM

Update...2,300 miles later and no pressure loss through it. I've also had the opportunity to carefully push the speed envelope. It's holding up beautifully.

Old 10-06-2016, 04:43 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I plugged my rear on the Street Triple R earlier this year and it's not lost any pressure whatsoever.