CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

Trip Prep

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2014, 11:37 PM
Super Moderator
Received 310 Likes on 254 Posts

I used to pedal a lot, and I mean a lot. You have impressed me sir. I'm training for a 100 mile run but you numbers are beyond great.

Old 06-28-2014, 05:32 AM
Welcome Crew
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I used to pedal a lot too, then I turned 16 and got my motorcycle licence, never looked back.
Did you get new bar ends? I have tried the Vibranator bar weights and they work(they call them tuned dampeners). Only problem is they are quite expensive(the company also makes gyro's for helicopters I think) and it sounds like you must frequent seedy places where things go walkabout so might not be for you, just joking.

Old 06-28-2014, 10:36 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jarvid
I used to pedal a lot too, then I turned 16 and got my motorcycle licence, never looked back.
Did you get new bar ends? I have tried the Vibranator bar weights and they work(they call them tuned dampeners). Only problem is they are quite expensive(the company also makes gyro's for helicopters I think) and it sounds like you must frequent seedy places where things go walkabout so might not be for you, just joking.
It doesn't get much seedier then Newark nj! I looked at the vibranators and would love to try a set out but they are pretty expensive. I'm still looking for a cheap set of ends to tide me over for a bit.

Old 06-28-2014, 05:27 PM
Administrator, MVN / ROTM NOV 2012
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Check

Hoses (bring a spare clamp or two) , coolant, brake pads , chain adjust, chain lube
and a good battery charge - bring mini jump cables in case.

Tires as you mentioned and a repair kit and inflator
The basics for me anyhow

Old 06-29-2014, 11:55 AM
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Sprock
Check
Hoses (bring a spare clamp or two) , coolant, brake pads , chain adjust, chain lubeand a good battery charge - bring mini jump cables in case.
Tires as you mentioned and a repair kit and inflator
The basics for me anyhow
I don't want to start a fight but those things aren't needed for a 330 mi ride. A bike in good running condition shouldn't come flying apart after 300 miles of continuous running. Jumper cables...only when the dome light is left on. omg!

Tire plugs are a good thing to carry all the time. A small bicycle pump to compliment it also. You don't need a 2-stage pump either because you don't need 125 psi (like my pedal bike does). Just a small bicycle frame mount pump that fits in the tank bag.

I'm almost tempted to go for a 350 mi ride today, commando, to prove my point. lol

Old 06-29-2014, 01:00 PM

Everyone seems to be hanging up on the miles. It's 300+ in each direction so around 700 for the entire trip. The point wasn't to see who could pedal a bicycle the furthest or to get into a pissing match on what's a long trip. My bike will make it; I know
Because I've striped it down to the frame and rebuilt everything. I just wanted to see how you guys prep for a trip

Old 06-29-2014, 02:15 PM
Senior Member & 2010 ROTY

Tire plugs and a can of Fix-a-flat. Basic tool kit. Small can of Chain lube

Oh I have a bicycle its hanging upside down in the garage. I look at it when I get on my Hurricane and ride off.

Last edited by Indiana Hurricane; 06-29-2014 at 02:19 PM.
Old 07-06-2014, 12:09 PM

Originally Posted by pmcg
I just wanted to see how you guys prep for a trip
I guess that's it...the bike should be in a ready state.

In all honesty, my prep involves, the evening before the ride packing the bike to get an early start.

Old 07-06-2014, 02:51 PM
Administrator, MVN / ROTM NOV 2012
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

^

Don't forget good quality wet gear TBT lol

& by the way I still carry all the stuff mentioned anyway
because ya never know when a fellow biker may need a helping hand !

Old 07-06-2014, 04:40 PM

Originally Posted by Sprock
ya never know when a fellow biker may need a helping hand !
I went for a walk today. Went down to the park where the burger shack is. There was a guy and his girlfriend on a chopper and they had a front flat tire, nothing I could do for them. Funny thing, he was wearing some kind on Batman belt with who knows what in the pouches.

I do have a mental check list for weekend camping. Lawn chair, sleeping roll and bag, tent, lighter, change of clothes, tire repair kit, rain gear, one of those hiking water bottles filled with gasoline for starting the camp fire, flashlight and really not much more. My real prep is pulling the bags down from overhead in the garage. That's about it. I always keep good tires and fresh oil in the bike so she is ready to go...all the time.

I guess the question or statement would be, how much prep do you do with the car? Same thing goes for both in my opinion. Actually I'd trust any of my bikes before I trust the car I currently own.

Quick Reply: Trip Prep